Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade this Computer?

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2012 5:20:05 AM

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire X3990 i3-2100 @ 3.10 Ghz, 6GB RAM, WIN 7 Home Premium. Unfortunately, it has integrated graphics, and a low 220w psu, so I'm wondering if I can gut the motherboard and transfer it to a newer case so I can upgrade the graphics card, psu, etc?

More about : upgrade computer

a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 6:19:46 AM

Yes, you can.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 6:22:47 AM

Sure, the MB should fit in any case that fits a standard ATX or Micro-ATX motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 6:24:51 AM

Biggs613 said:
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire X3990 i3-2100 @ 3.10 Ghz, 6GB RAM, WIN 7 Home Premium. Unfortunately, it has integrated graphics, and a low 220w psu, so I'm wondering if I can gut the motherboard and transfer it to a newer case so I can upgrade the graphics card, psu, etc?

Yes, it is possible. But if your graphics card demand is not too great, you could just upgrade the PSU & save a little work & money. What is the graphics card you intend to upgrade to?
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 6:25:28 AM

There might be issues with the FPANEL connectors.
m
l
June 6, 2012 1:37:19 PM

randomkid said:
Yes, it is possible. But if your graphics card demand is not too great, you could just upgrade the PSU & save a little work & money. What is the graphics card you intend to upgrade to?

The problem is that with my current case, my graphics card options are limited to low-profile designs, which are hard to come by. There is literally no room to fit anything into the PCI-E slot right now, because of the slim design of the case. Basically, I want to turn it into a decent little gaming rig, as well. A friend of mine gave me a ATI HD4350 DDR2 512MB that he wasn't using anymore, but I am willing to upgrade a little further. Any help/suggestions appreciated.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 1:38:20 PM

what is your budget?
m
l
June 6, 2012 1:42:14 PM

bartholomew said:
what is your budget?

Well, I have the budget to actually build a new PC for just under $1000 CDN, but, seeing as this one is less than a year old, I figured I'd save as much as I could by taking what I could out of it.
m
l
June 6, 2012 1:43:11 PM

amuffin said:
There might be issues with the FPANEL connectors.

Would these be issues that I could work around?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 1:51:17 PM

Biggs613 said:
Well, I have the budget to actually build a new PC for just under $1000 CDN, but, seeing as this one is less than a year old, I figured I'd save as much as I could by taking what I could out of it.

No, do not salvage if you have the budget. You will end up with spare parts lying around which is a waste. If your PC is in good working condition, you can keep it & build a new one & you can either hand it down or keep it for lighter PC use.

With this thinking, you have all the freedom to build a great PC specially with the $1000.

I myself have 2 PC. This one which I am using now with AMD PII X3 720 unlocked + 9500GT & another one which I use to game i5-2500K + 2x6950. If I haven't kept this PC & salvaged anything, I will be in Tom's with 2x6950... that's not power efficient at all.
m
l
June 6, 2012 1:56:57 PM

randomkid said:
No, do not salvage if you have the budget. You will end up with spare parts lying around which is a waste. If your PC is in good working condition, you can keep it & build a new one & you can either hand it down or keep it for lighter PC use.

With this thinking, you have all the freedom to build a great PC specially with the $1000.

I myself have 2 PC. This one which I am using now with AMD PII X3 720 unlocked + 9500GT & another one which I use to game i5-2500K + 2x6950. If I haven't kept this PC & salvaged anything, I will be in Tom's with 2x6950... that's not power efficient at all.

I guess, but it really only needs a psu and graphics card, so I figured transfering to a new case would be the better option.
m
l
December 2, 2012 11:10:44 PM

I have the x3990, i3 2120 , 3.3ghz, 4gb drr3 1333mt/s.
I put the 'Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 DDR55 1GB' low profile in it (£70 from Amazon) and it works great with games, Skyrim, ACIII, Mirrors Edge, Dead Island, The Witcher 2(very demanding, put on medium still looks great), Battlefield 3 at highest graphical settings smoothly!
Theis low profile card has the fan blasting air against the case though so maximum heat I get is about 70c though that isn't very bad.
I didn't upgrade psu as I couldn't find one to fit. Only need to upgrade psu if you want to over clock safely. When I do get one, I will have to cut a hole for the socket so it fits xD
There are a few better low profile cards that will fit but I only needed this one as I don't go mad on games.

Hope this helps peoples!
m
l
December 3, 2012 12:47:41 AM

NomsterxD,

You wouldnt happen to have a link or something to your computer build, wouldya?

That looks like a very cheap affordable way to play games ^_^
m
l
April 17, 2013 9:47:08 AM

NomsterxD said:
I have the x3990, i3 2120 , 3.3ghz, 4gb drr3 1333mt/s.
I put the 'Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 DDR55 1GB' low profile in it (£70 from Amazon) and it works great with games, Skyrim, ACIII, Mirrors Edge, Dead Island, The Witcher 2(very demanding, put on medium still looks great), Battlefield 3 at highest graphical settings smoothly!
Theis low profile card has the fan blasting air against the case though so maximum heat I get is about 70c though that isn't very bad.
I didn't upgrade psu as I couldn't find one to fit. Only need to upgrade psu if you want to over clock safely. When I do get one, I will have to cut a hole for the socket so it fits xD
There are a few better low profile cards that will fit but I only needed this one as I don't go mad on games.

Hope this helps peoples!

Do you think that would be ok with an i5 2320 3GHz? Having trouble finding a psu that fits the case
m
l
June 1, 2013 9:10:20 PM

agentsmith30303 said:
NomsterxD,

You wouldnt happen to have a link or something to your computer build, wouldya?

That looks like a very cheap affordable way to play games ^_^

It was from a catalogue I think it was Very or something weird, I got it there as I needed something quick as I had no job at the time, it was about £400.

These builds (without cards) are easy to find with various set up options if you search acer aspire x3990, they can fit most of the (2nd gen I think) i3, i5, i7 processors, 8gb ddr3 1333mhx max ram and a x16 card slot. The PSU is the hardest I have ever had to find for this, still haven't found one xD

@Ratsswimmer That will fit in the Acer Aspire x3990 fine!
The x3990 all come with the same psu and I have seen i7's in it that are pretty nice so you should be safe.

m
l
!