Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hell THW peep, how are ya?

I recently bought an FX 4100 and an asus m5a78l-mlx mobo, with 4gb of RAM, and i was wondering if its safe to use my 450w with two +12v one of 14 amp and other of 16amp with just one hdd, a DVD reader and a Radeon hd4850 512mb ddr3.

I dont have money to buy a new PSU yet, so i want to know if i can hold up with what i have until i can change it.

Thanks beforehand for your answers, cheers!

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Its a Bangho PSU, its a national brand. Every computer at my job place is made by that brand, im part of the tech support of it and i havent got issues with these PSUs so far, actually i got this one from there cause it was a brand new spare (we have tons of em).
Of course, they dont use as power consuming rigs as my rig atm with the fx 4100, but they seem to hold up ok, i dont like the brand but well, its what i can buy atm...

i was looking to buy a 650w Topower as a replacement, i dont like the Coolermaster psus we get of the same price.

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I plugged this rig (WITHOUT GPU) in with that psu and i notice a constant kind of a a coil whine coming from the psu (i think). Is it normal? cause this didnt happened before... and the mobo's soundboard is freaking out, plugging and unplugging, basically, leaving me with no sound whatsoever.
Did i mess up my rig?

forgot to mention, i just disabled a c6 state thingy in the bios and the noise volume seems to have gone down a few notches.

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Would a Topower EP-600PM be enought for this rig?

Do you have anything to say about this or youll just mock?

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
What do you mean by a coil whine?
Try re-seating your sound card.

Stay away from local PSUs, they might work at times, but why put the fate of your Hardware components on the hands of a cheap PSU.
Where are you buying from? Isn't a good popular brand available?

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
About the PSU, sadly no, we dont get that many brands in the mid end section... i can get that Topower, Cooler Master EPP 550w or a lil bit higher a Thermaltake TR600 luckily... and maybe i can get a Sentey ERP600 i think... judging by the specs, the Topower seems really good, since the CoolerMaster delivers pretty much the same than mine (+12v x2: 16a)

About the noise, since i turned it on, when it gets to the OS desktop (either Linux or Windows) it makes this strange frequency noise, like its getting the cpu load and making it noise. This happens WITH and WITHOUT the GPU plugged in, it was kinda quiet until i installed the catalyst drivers, then it got persistant, no crashing or bsod, even after gaming, tho... just that noise.

Im pretty sure it comes out of the PSU. im writing from my old rig right now, and there's no coil whine whatsoever coming out of it... its odd since it does it in the new rig even when i take the 4850 off...

What could it be? Check it out:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/DA5E72966EB617D6

About the sound, what is really strange is the fact that the sound wasnt working when i plugged in Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), then i ran Windows 7 x64, it worked after i installed the drivers (Nor Audio or Ethernet were working with the p&p drivers)

and now the CP is constantly giving me the "new connector plugged" and "unplugged", so i have no audio now, i reinstalled the drivers, tried new ones but problem persists.

And also, since i installed the drivers i get this "Digital Output" device i have no idea what it is (in my previous rig it wasnt shown by the realtek audio manager) and once even Ethernet stopped working too.

Tried changing stuff in the BIOS, nothing...

Something odd is that appears to be transmiting a similar frequency to my speakers even tho the sound board doesnt work, if i plug it, it sends noise to the speakers (look at the video above, youll see what im saying, i was pushing the volume up to make it hearable, but you get the point)

Stay away from the CM Extreme Power Plus 550W; low efficiency and can't deliver it's rated power: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-550-W-Power-Supply-Review/969/1 I would also stay away from the Topower PSUs. Review of several Topower series PSUs at X-Bit Labs: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/topower-psu-roundup_17.html

Sentey is manufactured by Super Flower and SF makes some nice PSUs. The ERP600 are not among their better PSUs; 38A on the 12V rails is weak for a 600W PSU. If your shop carries the Sentey Hard Blue Power or Golden Steel Power, then I would consider either of them to be a good option...especially the Golden Steel.

The Thermaltake TR PSUs are hit and miss; the older models had some reliability issues. TT re-did the line and they are now a decent product; if you go this route, then be sure to read reviews on the specific model numbers that you are thinking about buying. If they carry Thermaltake's Tough Power series of PSUs, then that is another good option. The Toughpower PSUs are solid, good quality PSUs.

The HD 4850 will draw around 12-13A at full load. I doubt your current PSU has two 6-pin PCIe power connectors so you'll have to use a molex-PCI adapter to be able to use your current PSU. You can give it a shot and see if your PC is stable with your current PSU, but you'll likely be pushing that PSU when your system is at full load. If you run into stability issues, then the first thing that I would suspect is the PSU struggling to provide the required power.

Those prices are high for the quality PSUs that are available. On that site, the only one that I would consider is the Thermaltake TR2 600W. http://www.cordobavende.com/ficha/638186-fuente-thermaltake-600w-reales.html

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Actually the 4850 requires ONE 6-pin pci-e which my psu does have, and im actually running it right now (like i did for over a year) with that psu and my previous rig (Dual Core E5400) without any noise, or random reset, or anything, ive been gaming heavily with this rig, gpu and psu for a long time and nothing went wrong, is this new rig thats causing me troubles...

Weird thing tho is that with the new rig WITH and WITHOUT the GPU it does this weird frequency noise, you would think that without the gpu things would even out for the psu...

but the onboard soundcard as i said its not working properly (keeps on plugging and unplugging in windows and linux, since the first time i booted up without the gpu) in the new rig, so, could it be that the onboard sound card of the new mobo came damaged and its whats causing the noise coming out of the psu??

Some of the HD 4850s require two: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4850-2-gb-gddr3-review/4

I've heard of old PSUs paired with newer mobos or GPUs resulting in coil whine. It could be that or it could be a faulty mobo. Do you have another PSU that you could try to use in your PC? Maybe a friend's PSU? Is this a clean install? Have you tried using the old mobo/CPU and do you still get the whine with the old mobo? Did you get the most recent mobo drivers from MSI? If it's happening in both Linux and Windows, then that does point towards hardware. If you got it from a local shop and it's still within the shop return period, then I'd consider taking it to them to have their techs take a look at it too.

Pituchilon

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Mine requires just one and with this psu runs like a charm.

It could be what you say, old psu, new mobo = coil whine. Any risk there?

Its an Asus mobo. i bought it two days ago.

yes, i tried the cd drivers and the latest drivers from theyre page.

Its a clean install, as i said, tried linux live, installed linux (no audio whatsoever, weird since in the old rig with the same onboard soundcard it was working, since its plug and play), and then i tried Windows 7 x64 and x86... same coil whine, and the sound card started freaking out when i plugged in the speakers it started to give constant "plug" and "unplug" warnings, hence, no sound...

As i said: Right NOW while writing Im using the PSU with my old rig (e5400, 4gb, 3 hdd, 1 dvd writer and the 4850) and its not doing the coil whine, everything is silent and cool, its with the new mobo and cpu (With and WIthout the GPU) that the coil whine starts. Never had any trouble with this combination at all, no restart, heat, bsod, or anything, it always ran properly.

Check it out, this is the sound it does WITH and WITHOUT the 4850 plugged
http://www.putlocker.com/file/DA5E72966EB617D6

What could it be? (Coil Whine and Sound card freaking out)