Which is better?

The simple answer is the 3570K, but the more involved answer is that the 2500K can be OC'd further and to a point that surpasses the 3570K in performance at a certain point. The 3570K is ~10% faster, so a 10% higher OC on a 2500K negates the performance difference.

in addition to what DJDeCiBeL said the 3570K has better power consumption. but I think its performance advantage is closer to 5-7%. When you overclock and push voltage though its heat goes through the roof and requires watercooling to soak up the heat spike. So if you wont push the overclock, ivybridge. if you will (and you will, I mean.its a K CPU why else would you buy one) I'd get sandy bridge.

Ivy bridge could have been great. its a shame Intel intentionally crippled it with that bad thermal paste the second AMD took the pressure off

I'd agree with this, but my vote is the 2500K. Based on what I've seen the difference in power consumption does not equate to enough savings on an electric bill to justify the extra cost of the 3570K. (The power consumption difference is minimal, as is the default performance)

JNB

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I'm buying my parts to day and I've settled on an i5 3450, i just wanted to see if it;s worth me making a last minute upgrade to the cpu or do you think it will be fine for gaming? I'm pairing it with a 7870 Windforce edition

JNB

Honorable
May 15, 2012
My theory is (feel free to call me a complete idiot as i know nothing) that by the time the i5 is holding me back i could replace it with an ivy bridge i7 down the line when they are cheaper.

Let me correct you there, (somewhat)..

Ivy Bridge is set to be the final generation of CPUs on the LGA1155 socket, Intel will be moving to the LGA1150 socket early next year, and discontinuing Ivy Bridge. Meaning, 2 years from now most likely if you want to upgrade your CPU, you'll be buying a new motherboard.

Having said all that, most likely with a 7870 card, you'll have a good 3 or 4 years of great gameability whether you buy an overclockable CPU or not. Its your call, but honestly, I like I said, nice thing about the K CPUs is it keeps your options open.

JNB

Honorable
May 15, 2012
If you think it will last 3-4 years with non K cpu i'm happy to go with it as if it's only in the far future the processor is going to slow me down i won't mind upgrading to the new socket. Also i have no clue how to overclock i was planning on taking it to a shop if i got a K and asking them to do it.

Addendum:
Also, Intel does not reduce the MSRP of their CPUs regardless of their age, you will notice that LGA1156 CPUs like Clarksdale and Lynnfield, and even Sandy Bridge now that Ivy Bridge is out have not dropped from their initial price points.

While as a consumer I find Intel's business practices rather "bastardly", the fact is they outsell AMD 5 to 1, they can afford to not cut anyone a break on their "day old donuts".

Overclocking is pretty simple. You really would be surprised how easy it is. Although to do it, ideally you would want to invest in a decent CPU cooler such as a 212 evo, they run about 34 bucks from newegg. If you change your mind, I'd be glad to add you to skype and show you how to do it.

Unfortunately, I've been drinking. So, I'm not comfortable making a recommendation in lieu of the CoolerMaster 212 evo without doing some research on how they perform. Perhaps someone else has an air cooling unit that would be a sufficient alternative off the tip of their tongue.

TRENDING THREADS