Unlocking World Phones & Pre-Paid SIM Cards???

Hi

I plan to travel to the UK and Australia this summer and WAS planning to get a
V551(Cingular, my service) phone,, pull the SIM and pick up pre-paid SIMs as I move..

Because of the hassle, I am now looking for a tri-band(900,1800,1900) phone off eBay as my
"over seas" phone.. It looks like there are a bunch available, including Moto v60's &
v66's, some locked others un-locked..

I am interested in good reception and great battery life. I am not interested in a phone
with: camera, games, pda, email, mp3 player, aol, vibrators, video conferencing, DSL,
blue-anything,
While on the road, I will use the phone to talk to friends in the UK & OZ,, probably under
15 minutes a day, I don't plan any cross boarder calls(ie France to Germany),, and only
make maybe one weekly call back to the US. Each trip will be about 2 weeks..

Q's?? Phone

1) If I get a locked phone,, can you get it un-locked for free anywhere???
2)Is it the phone or the SIM that gets locked??
2)As I am not planning to use the phone in the US,, is there a 'better' choice,, other
than the v60 or v66??
3)are the v60 & v66 good phones??

Q's?? Pre-Paid SIM's
1)Is there a recommendation for a service that covers both the UK & OZ??
2)are there prepaid package feature I should look for (ie, incoming calls free,, nites &
weekends free)
3)does the UK & OZ use the same type of calling plan as the US,, ie a LOCAL US call may be
all calls with in 20 miles,, then you start incremental long distance charges.
4)what is considered a 'good' rate,, .20$US @ minute??

Oh,, As I am a novice at this SIM/World phone game,, please feel free to answer any
questions I forgot to ask....

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

PS: Tell Shirley to use my tab for your next round at the bar,,
4 answers Last reply
More about unlocking world phones paid cards

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:37:11 -0400, <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Q's?? Phone
    >
    >1) If I get a locked phone,, can you get it un-locked for free anywhere???

    There used to be places that you could unlock free for Nokia but now
    they charge a nominal small fee. You can download the unlock code
    generator from several places for Nokia DCT3 and DCT4 phones.

    >2)Is it the phone or the SIM that gets locked??

    Technically it's the phone that's locked to prevent use of foreign
    SIMs.

    >2)As I am not planning to use the phone in the US,, is there a 'better' choice,, other
    >than the v60 or v66??

    Do you really have your heart set on Motorola? Get a used Nokia or
    Ericsson. T68 can be had for ~$50.

    >3)are the v60 & v66 good phones??

    Never owned one so can't say. The v60 is a very popular model though.

    >Q's?? Pre-Paid SIM's
    >1)Is there a recommendation for a service that covers both the UK & OZ??

    Doesn't exist with regular SIMs. You could get the Riing service
    based in Liechtenstein which doesn't have bad rates and you can
    basically use that anywhere there's GSM service
    ..
    >2)are there prepaid package feature I should look for (ie, incoming calls free,, nites &
    >weekends free)

    Incoming calls will always be free for prepaids most anywhere other
    than in the Americas. You'll not find night or weekend free deals
    more than likely.

    >3)does the UK & OZ use the same type of calling plan as the US,, ie a LOCAL US call may be
    >all calls with in 20 miles,, then you start incremental long distance charges.
    >4)what is considered a 'good' rate,, .20$US @ minute??

    Mobile calling in Europe there are no long distance or roaming fees.
    You are billed by the kind of call you are making with one rate to
    call land lines, one rate to call mobile numbers, one rate to call
    other phones on your network and also charged by peak or off peak
    calling.

    >Oh,, As I am a novice at this SIM/World phone game,, please feel free to answer any
    >questions I forgot to ask....

    Err unless you ask them we don't have a clue what those "forgotten"
    questions are! Clairvoyants we are not.

    In article <XpP7e.79279$wo1.28764@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
    <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >Q's?? Phone
    >
    >1) If I get a locked phone,, can you get it un-locked for free anywhere???

    Nokia phones can often be unlocked using readily available free software.
    Expect to pay a fee to get a Motorola phone unlocked.

    >2)Is it the phone or the SIM that gets locked??

    It is the phone.

    >2)As I am not planning to use the phone in the US,, is there a 'better'
    >choice,, other than the v60 or v66??

    The Ericsson R520M and Motorola TimePort 280/280i have been well-regarded by
    travellers for quite a while, and are old enough that prices have fallen
    well below $100. They, and the V60/66 lack GSM850 which means they are
    only useful in the US when using T-Mobile, which has not deployed GSM850.

    There are also cheap current-model non-US phones, like the Nokia 3410
    (900/1800 MHz) that will function fine for you, but not at all in the US.

    >3)are the v60 & v66 good phones??

    Yes. Functionally they are identical, and differ in housing, display, and
    battery mechanics.

    UK Pay as you go Sim Cards Will post Worldwide
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk_UK-Sim-Cards
    And
    http://www.simcard.me.uk/uk_sim_card.htm

    Australian Pay as you go Sim Cards Will post Worldwide
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk_Australian-Sim-Cards
    and
    http://www.poms.co.uk/austsraliansimcard.htm

    This website will unlock mobiles for free
    http://www.trycktill.com/eng/unlock_swe.asp

    All UK and Australian sim cards have free incoming calls.

    Ta mate

    <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> [...]

    > 2)are there prepaid package feature I should look for (ie, incoming calls
    > free,, nites &
    > weekends free)
    > 3)does the UK & OZ use the same type of calling plan as the US,, ie a
    > LOCAL US call may be
    > all calls with in 20 miles,, then you start incremental long distance
    > charges.
    > 4)what is considered a 'good' rate,, .20$US @ minute??
    >
    > Oh,, As I am a novice at this SIM/World phone game,, please feel free to
    > answer any
    > questions I forgot to ask....
    >

    > Thanks
    > Jim
    > An Old Parrot Head
    > In The Conch Republic
    > Just South of Reality
    >
    > PS: Tell Shirley to use my tab for your next round at the bar,,

    :)

    UK Vodafone Pre pay Sim cards(England)(Wales)(Scotland) will ship to the USA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5768600230

    UK Orange Pre Pay Sim Cards. 3000 Free TXTs a Month !!! will ship to the USA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5768380432

    More UK Sim Cards Will post Worldwide
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk_UK-Sim-Cards

    http://www.simcard.me.uk/uk_sim_card.htm