$2500 gaming build - Need opinions.

larryflynt

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Looking to build a desktop, almost exclusively for hardware intensive gaming. Also for internet, video/music playback, light office apps and home theatre PC.

I'm not really too limited by cash, however I really do not want to spend over $3000, ideally trying to keep it around $2500. This includes every single part (currently using a laptop).

I'm looking for opinions on better combinations and general compatibility between parts. I would prefer to spend a little extra for quality parts.

CPU: i5 2500K (will overclock probably to < 4.5)
CPU cooler: NZXT Havik 140
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V-GEN3 (not interested in ASRock)
RAM/Memory: 16GB DDR3-1600 G Skill (I realize I probably do not need 16GB, but its cheap, also assuming 1600 MHZ won't bottleneck the system?)

Power Supply: Corsair HX-850 (to support SLI GTX570's in future)
Case: Coolermaster HAF932 (I like the size, plenty of internal space/good airflow capacity, also looks good without being too flashy)

Hard Drive #1: Crucial C400 64GB M4 series
Hard Drive #2: Western Digital 500GB Caviar Black
Graphics Card:ASUS or eVGA GTX570 (will get a second one in a few months)
Moniter: 23inch Samsung 23A750D (120 HZ)
Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

Will be using an ethernet cable to connect to the internet, so I think that means I do not need a network card?
Any mouse and keyboard recommendations would be appreciated.
Other than the fast boot time, do SSD's actually provide any gaming advantages?
Will be building myself – Any other obscure components I need to complete the build, cables etc? (don't want to spend all day building and not be able to get it running!)

Can anyone recommend a decent TV tuner?

Also sound card? (although I thought the onboard sound on this mobo is OK anyway?)

Although theoretically there is enough slots on the P8Z68-V-GEN3 for two GTX570's, TV tuner and sound card, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to actually fit them all on? (as the 2 x GTX570's are quite big, may obstruct the other slots?).

Any extra fans to purchase for the case? (can probably do this at a later date depending on temperatures)

Fan controller recommendation?

Hoping to get this built within the next month, will probably start tracking down best prices soon. Feedback is appreciated.