Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Random restarts on high load

Last response: in Components
Share
June 6, 2012 12:55:48 PM

Hello Forum

I have recently finished my first build, and it usually works without a charm. However, lately, when i play BF3, my PC sometimes just restarts. My PC has only been doing this in the past few days, i had no problem during the first two weeks with playing Battlefield 3 (note that i play on ultra) Here are my specs:

Case: NZXT Apollo
Mobo: AsusP8z68-le
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr III 7850
CPU: i5-2500k
CPU fan: Cooler Master 212 Evo
HDD: Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
PSU: Corsair 650W
*Note that i also have two fans in my case

I don't think that this should be happening, isn't 650W more than enough to supply my build? And why is this first starting to happen now?

Any help would be very much appreciated
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 1:13:01 PM

When it restarts, does it go through the shutdown sequence or does the screen go black and restart?
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 1:36:52 PM

ubercake said:
When it restarts, does it go through the shutdown sequence or does the screen go black and restart?

It just goes black screen, and on startup again it gives me an error saying something about the PSU
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 2:04:39 PM

Check your system event log and tell us the error code that is associated with the shutdown/restart.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 2:29:20 PM

VMord said:
It just goes black screen, and on startup again it gives me an error saying something about the PSU

There's a clue for you. What does the error say about the PSU?

I once had a bad video card that would do what you're describing. I exchanged it for a new one and all was well.

Though if you're getting a message about the PSU, this might point to something else altogether.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 2:38:18 PM

ubercake said:
There's a clue for you. What does the error say about the PSU?

I once had a bad video card that would do what you're describing. I exchanged it for a new one and all was well.

Though if you're getting a message about the PSU, this might point to something else altogether.


Okay, here's the error: "Power Supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable psu"
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 2:46:51 PM

There you go. Thank you Asus!

If you didn't notice a power surge in your house at the same time (which a good PSU would protect your system from), you're probably dealing with a bad PSU.

I would exchange the PSU. Don't use it any longer or you might ruin the rest of your components. That model is a good model, but you just got a bad one.
Share
June 6, 2012 3:06:02 PM

ubercake said:
There you go. Thank you Asus!

If you didn't notice a power surge in your house at the same time (which a good PSU would protect your system from), you're probably dealing with a bad PSU.

I would exchange the PSU. Don't use it any longer or you might ruin the rest of your components. That model is a good model, but you just got a bad one.

THX! I have sent a message to Corsair Tech Support.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:06:09 PM

Best answer selected by VMord.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 3:09:09 PM

VMord said:
THX! I have sent a message to Corsair Tech Support.

Fortunately, that company has great tech support. They'll probably get you a new one pretty quickly.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 7:01:06 PM

ubercake said:
There you go. Thank you Asus!

If you didn't notice a power surge in your house at the same time (which a good PSU would protect your system from), you're probably dealing with a bad PSU.

I would exchange the PSU. Don't use it any longer or you might ruin the rest of your components. That model is a good model, but you just got a bad one.


Are you sure that the PSU is just not powerful enough for my rig?
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 7:07:10 PM

A system with an HD7850 requires a 500W PSU with at least 28A on the 12V rail and one 75W 6-pin PCIe power connector. Your PSU is more than sufficient for your system.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 7:15:42 PM

VMord said:
Are you sure that the PSU is just not powerful enough for my rig?

No. I'm thinking an actual physical hardware defect with the PSU.

That PSU, when functioning properly, is more than enough for your system.
m
0
l
!