Sign in with
Your question

New build giving me all sorts of problems!! (PICS)

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2012 12:40:38 PM

I have assembled a new homebuilt build and i am having all sorts of problems. Extremely loud fans etc, but i have managed to sort them out. Now my computer will not display an image through my graphics card with either the VGA or hdmi to my monitor, i have the latest drivers. Ever since my last reboot i no longer have an image available. Having tried multiple monitors both HD and SD it must be my system. The system was working fine then all of a sudden the video is now non existent. I haven't done any overclocking/underclocking, the system is only 1 day old.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6902818635_45550afbe...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/6902811243_8ac375de4...

ASrock 990fx extreme 3 - mobo
16gb of kingston hyper x ddr 1600 - mem
120 gb OCZ agility 3 - SSD
FX-8120 - CPU
G7 680w power supply - PSU
HD 6670 - GPU (plan on upgrading in few months)
1 120mm intake, 1 120m outtake - Chassis fans
1 Scythe CPU cooler

February 19, 2012 1:07:04 PM

Do you have a mobo speaker to hear the beeps when you POST? It was working fine, then one day you booted up and nothing? Or did you make any adjustments before it stopped working?

February 19, 2012 1:16:48 PM

Yes sometimes when i try again in hopes for an image it beeps, sometimes it does't. But it isn't a pattern or a number of beeps associated with the Beep codes. We built the computer yesterday and it was working fine, no beeps, no errors. Then today after a reboot the image is no longer there. :fou: 
Related resources
February 19, 2012 1:30:28 PM

1 beep on my ASUS means "no VGA detected" if I recall.

Did someone accidentally hit the "Input" button on the monitor instead of the "Power" button? Make sure the monitor is going to the right input or you'll have a black screen.....I make this mistake frequently.
February 19, 2012 1:33:04 PM

Its a 23inch samsung tv/pc monitor so you have a choice of inputs when you press the power button. TV, HDMI, VGA etc, so it can't be that :kaola: 
February 19, 2012 1:34:37 PM

I would try clearing cmo and re-seating everything.
February 19, 2012 1:40:46 PM

I have already tried resetting the CMOS jumper. When i power the computer on the fans on the GPU, CPU and Case spin and i get the correct noises from everything indicating that everything is happy, :kaola:  But no image. Im just sat here like a dummy now. I don't want to keep trying because i have to manually turn the computer of by holding the power button for 4 seconds and i don't want to damage my expensive hardware.
February 19, 2012 1:53:28 PM

Did you accidently move your vid card in a weird position, try re-seating it and try.. or if you have a spare try swapping it out to see if you burned it out.. or is it brand new too?
February 19, 2012 1:56:26 PM

OK let's try some BASIC troubleshooting first.

check that RAM is seated in their correct order and that they are firmly secure on their slots. (they ram must occupy the 1-2 not the 3-4 slots) unless you are using all 4 slots
of course (I can't see the image clearly and I don't know if you are using 4X4 or 2X8
ram sticks.

check that the video card has the power connected to the video card from the power supply. (some people DO forget this simple step), also check that the video card is firmly attached to the slot.

EDIT: checked and apparently your card does not use power from your power supply.
still checked if it is properly set in its slot.
February 19, 2012 2:07:03 PM

Buglas said:
Did you accidently move your vid card in a weird position, try re-seating it and try.. or if you have a spare try swapping it out to see if you burned it out.. or is it brand new too?

Yep brand new, everything is brand new and hasn't been sat around for ages unloved :kaola: 

drwho1 said:
OK let's try some BASIC troubleshooting first.

check that RAM is seated in their correct order and that they are firmly secure on their slots. (they ram must occupy the 1-2 not the 3-4 slots) unless you are using all 4 slots
of course (I can't see the image clearly and I don't know if you are using 4X4 or 2X8
ram sticks.

check that the video card has the power connected to the video card from the power supply. (some people DO forget this simple step), also check that the video card is firmly attached to the slot.

EDIT: checked and apparently your card does not use power from your power supply.
still checked if it is properly set in its slot.

i am using 4x4 and i just checked and reseated them all and still no image. Or beeps indicating bad ram. Woah hang on a minute i dont think i have a pci-e power connector plugged in :lol:  let me have a look. But would the GPU work for awhile without it plugged in? Because it was working for about 3 hours
February 19, 2012 2:14:49 PM

If your graphics card DOES has a power connector you DO have to connected ... Duh!
Looking at your picture (and some others around the web) I couldn't see a power connector.

So you might not have one.
February 19, 2012 2:26:03 PM

there are no connectors on the graphics card at all
February 19, 2012 3:00:55 PM

OK, pretty sure you checked...
but check again (as silly as might sound) that all cables inside and outside the computer are attached properly.

This is sometimes annoying, but verify that the CASE connectors (front panel) are on the right order.
example... positive/negative on the right order.

last checked that the monitor is connected firmly on the video card and power outlet.

February 19, 2012 3:13:05 PM

did you install you're mother board drivers and video card drivers did it come up with windows wants to shut down or restart ?
February 19, 2012 3:17:49 PM

Got it working my memory was overheating and shutting down. Took 8 gb out and left the other 2 slots of 4gb far apart from each other. Now its saying my store purchased windows 7 is not genuine but i am sure i can sort that one out
February 19, 2012 3:19:09 PM

What is vexxing is that it was working for 3 hours then stopped working for no apparent reason. This makes me think there is a loose connection, that someone changed a setting (you mentioned "we") and didn't tell you, or that one of the components crapped the bed.
February 19, 2012 3:22:29 PM

why is my memory now saying 8gb only 3.9gb usable? (FIXED THE WINDOWS ERROR)
February 19, 2012 3:22:34 PM

Ignore my previous response... 8gb 3.9usable is usually an indication of bad RAM. Those 2 sticks that were causing your system not to post are probably defective send back immediately and get a replacement shipped out. Go through the website or store you bought it from do not contact the manufacturer unless it has been over 30days.
February 19, 2012 3:23:37 PM

catatafish said:
What is vexxing is that it was working for 3 hours then stopped working for no apparent reason. This makes me think there is a loose connection, that someone changed a setting (you mentioned "we") and didn't tell you, or that one of the components crapped the bed.

:kaola:  haha! Oh well, atleast we know someone is home now in my computer. I will be sure to whine and create new topics if he leaves again.
February 19, 2012 3:26:44 PM

Yea make sure your 24pin and 8 pin connectors are firmly in the mobo...it requires more pressure than you may think
February 19, 2012 3:40:14 PM

matthew1994 said:
why is my memory now saying 8gb only 3.9gb usable? (FIXED THE WINDOWS ERROR)

is there a memory remapping option in your bios?
February 19, 2012 3:45:53 PM

i just put my other memory in and found 2 good sticks that will work together and wont overheat now. I originally had 16gb in and have took it down to 8gb and left a gap between each stick so they don't overheat. My computer isn't poorly anymore so we can let this topic rest :)  Thanks again guys.
February 19, 2012 4:53:22 PM

are you using 32 bit or 64 bit ?
!