Does Firewall Have Switch Capabilites?

invulnarable27

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hello,

I am looking at this Cisco FW:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120135&cm_re=firewall-_-33-120-135-_-Product

Can this particular Cisco firewall model and other firewalls for that matter, allow LAN communication between servers in full duplex just like a switch?

Essentially, can firewalls use layer 3 (IP) to facilitate LAN communication just like switch uses Layer 2 (MAC address)? I know its probably best to buy a switch to facilitate this but would like to know if this is feasible.

Also can a firewall be segmented into VLANs like Switch?

Thanks

Solution
It appears that that firewall will function as an eight port switch. I haven't played with Cisco firewalls but their switches and routers are rediculously robust.

I believe the switch ports would be configurable just like any other Cisco switch(layer 2, vlans, etc). I hope you know a thing or two about CLI before jumping into this.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
It appears that that firewall will function as an eight port switch. I haven't played with Cisco firewalls but their switches and routers are rediculously robust.

I believe the switch ports would be configurable just like any other Cisco switch(layer 2, vlans, etc). I hope you know a thing or two about CLI before jumping into this.

Solution