Radeon HD 5770; no signal to monitor; new build

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hello,

This is my third build, and the new system isn't sending a signal to the monitor. I've tried putting the GPU in both slots, and the PSU is connected to it with the PCIe cable. I've tried both of the available PCIe cables to no avail. The fans on the GPU and PSU are both on, as well as the case fans. I've tried it with a different video card also and still didn't work. Help!

everything is seated and powered properly ? if the board has on board video go into the BIOS and put it on auto or have it point to the right pci-e slot........ or if it's an ASUS board/some of them need to have a dummy card in one of the slots and the vid card in the other. ( provided from ASUS with the new MOBO>

If your mobo doesnt have onboard, and all of swifty's tricks didnt work, you very well may have a bad mobo, and will need to send it back for RMA
EDIT: with 2 cards not working it seems to me the mobo is bad. and after reading your mobo's specs of no onbard, im pretty sure you have yourself a bad mobo in the case that swifty's suggestions didnt work

there's only 1 x16 slot the other is 4................. something I never ran across but heard of and have trouble believing but, the video card is a pci-e 2.1......... and on several occasions here people have hinted of problems on some boards with that configuration................... but I also read the reviews on the board and it's not great but I'm stubborn and don't want to give up too quickly.

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I've tried the GPU in both the green and red slots without anything working, and I do have the VGA -> DVI adapter. Which slot would be the proper slot to try booting with 1 stick of ram?

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I've tried booting it with ram in multiple different slots and still nothing. Am I looking at a shot mobo? I'm about to head to best buy and buy a new one to test it, and return whichever one isn't working

I don't want to recommend buying overpriced product from best buy but if that's what you are wanting to do, then its worth a try. I still think its a DOA board.

alrix

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Best buy didn't have mobo's so I tried it with the mobo/cpu from my brother's rig. That didn't work either. The second mobo has onboard video, tried plugging the monitor into that, also didn't work. Could it be the PSU? I'm about to try my brothers PSU/GPU with the asrock mobo, I can't try my radeon hd with his PSU because his PSU doesn't have pcie cables.