ATI Radeon HD 5770 super hot and loud?!?!

Felix333

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Just recently noticed this since the card gets so loud that my roommates downstairs can hear the comp running, while im playing Skyrim, but also games like LoL and dota2. On speedfan its at around 101 degrees C while gaming and around 60 C just browsing websites. is this normal, being so loud and such a high temp???

Felix333

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The card is around a year and half old. It came with the hp pavillion elite hpe-270f.

I only noticed the extreme loudness recently when skyrim came out, and since then almost any game i play makes this lour noise.

last year when playing things like COD and batman arkam asylum and other graphic intensive games it was definitely not this loud...

would i possibly need a new gpu?

also i have already wiped and sprayed away all the dust on all the fans and the inside just today, didnt seem to help though...

reapply thermal paste!

Felix333

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Ok. But I am seriously new to this, i would do a google search but i think this is the best place for my questions.

So how would i go about doing this? is there a particular brand of paste i should use? And do i have to take out the entire card to do this or...?

Like i said im completely new to this, thx for the help!

Oh and also is this the only possible problem? because i would like to take care of this entire problem all at once. Thanks again!

4745454b

Titan
Paste shouldn't dry out in a year and a half. And if you are that new I wouldn't suggest trying to do it.

Case fans clean and running as well? Are you sure you got the dust out of the heatsink as well or only the fan? Might want to use a program to make sure the fan is still spinning fast enough. Not sure what model 5770 you have, so I'm not sure what the fan speed should be.

Felix333

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Well the fan is going at 100% speed according to speedfan while gaming, with skyrim at the loudest fan noises its at about 4000 rpm...

also i did use the compressed air to spray it and saw some dust come out. i cleaned that out pretty well without taking the whole thing out.

i dont know what else i can do besides the thermal paste. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thx!

4745454b

Titan
Case air flow? I doubt HP cases are that good. You don't need monster flow, but check to make sure any fans in the case are spinning.

Your idle is a bit hot, but the load isn't that bad. GPUs aren't like CPU and can handle 100c. You'd want it cooler if possible, but you shouldn't flip out if you see 92c. What are your ambient temps?

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Try to touch your vga fan blade check if it's moving in different angles maybe when it's on it's touching something and lowers the rpm.
Try keeping the case open see what hapens if you dont have any case fans should be much better

Felix333

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have 3 other fans in the desktop itself if that's what you mean by case. Also i left the case open for all day and that didnt help. Nothing is touching the fan on the actual GPU.

Also im not sure what the ambient temp is, but if thats the "local" temp on speedfan then its goes up and down but its around 52C.

This is frustrating because anytime i try to play anything with graphics at all my computer turns into a hurricane. Thanks for all the suggestions!

4745454b

Titan
Ambient temp is the temp in the room. CPUs normally run hotter in the summer because unless you are using AC its hotter n the room. I'm not sure what the "local" temp is, but I doubt its 52c in your room. It does sound like your entire computer is running hot however.

You don't have it shoved into that little cubby in the desk do you?

LPhase9

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hey, I'm actually using the same pc, and I have to say since skyrim, have had pretty much the same problem. It got so bad, I actually found this page looking for something pertaining to a graphics card upgrade for it - problem is I have literally no idea what kind will work with mine. Anything would be helpful, thx.

LPhase9

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Ya, I'm hearing it's the PC case, which I can't really afford to do anything about at the moment >.<, thx for the help though, at least now I know whats wrong with it.