Pretty unique case of cycling on and off

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hey all, I have a unique problem, at least circumstances. I had built my first comp around the FX-4100, used it for about a month and decided I just didn't like the proc. So I ordered up a 2700K, and an ASUS P8Z68-V mobo. All I did was a straight up switch out of the mobo and proc. I did not reinstall windows, reformat, wipe hard drive, nothing. Plug and play. Everything works great (I love the 2700k btw)! I am only having one slightly annoying problem though. When I start my comp up from sleep or shutdown, it will start, and it will cycle on and off at least once, probably 2 or 3 times before it posts. It does eventually post and everything runs perfect after that. The only new items I installed other then the cpu and mobo is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. All temps look good. I never had to re-enter a windows key, even though it was OEM and pinned to my old gigabyte mobo, or so I thought. Any ideas what the issue could be?

I7 2700K
P8Z68-V mobo
OCZ 1250w PS
2 EVGA 2 gig 560's
Mushkin 120g SSD
WD Blue 500G HDD
8 gig G skill Sniper
Windows 7 home premium OEM

katman

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I am working out some problems with an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 right now.

I remember some problems like that.
Does yours have the TPU EPU switches?
If so I did flip them of and on a couple of times.
If you can turn off EPU, it's the energy saver stuff.

Check the PSU connections to the MOBO also.

The overclocker does what you describe when you run it.
But then it's done and stops.

I found some USB issues now and my USB 3.0 locked up
the mouse & keboard. Moved to USB 2.0 ports.
I am still working on it.

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Mine does have the TPU and EPU switches I have run it with them both on and both off. PSU con. to mobo looks good. It is very weird, like I said once it posts it runs like a dream. Just have to let it cycle a few times for whatever reason. Seems very odd. Maybe I should get on the phone with ASUS. Sure sounds like a mobo thing to me, but I am a noob when it comes to this stuff...

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Think I solved it. I DL'ed the latest chipset driver and it seemed to have stopped. Should have just done that instead of using the disc that came with the board i suppose. Thanks for the help katman!

katman

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Thats great! I always try to download the drivers and skip the CD/DVD.

Nice setup too!

Mine is like yours.

I7 2600K @4.4
P8Z68-V Pro GEN3
Cosair 8GB DDR3
Antec 850w PS
EVGA 580
Cosair 120g SSD
WD Black 1TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64 OEM