ASUS M2R32-MVP and XFX Radeon HD 6870 2 GB Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronG_22

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hellllooooo again! Same old system, same old problem.

Here are my specs:

XFX Pro Series 450W PSU
ASUS M2R32-MVP 580x Chipset Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0Ghz CPU
SATA Combo Drive
200GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
6 GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM (2x 1Gb, 2x 2Gb)

Old Graphics Card: HIS Radeon x1650 Pro
New Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB

I'm running Vista x64.

So, my last issue was that my PSU only has one 6pin PCIe output. I bought a splitter and I'm sure it's properly powering the Graphics Card. No issues there. Vista x64 supports a total of 8Gb RAM (Graphics included), so there's no issue there. I've also read that even though my board only supports DDR2, the board will support the GDDR5 in the GPU.

I'm getting one long beep, three short beeps, a delay, then one more short beep, upon powering up my computer.
It's not the RAM - the RAM is good. All 6Gb work fine and my system runs smoothly with the old GPU.

My Mobo is only documented to support PCIe 16x 1.0. My worry is that it is not recognizing my card because it utilizes a PCIe x16 2.1. I thought PCIe x16 was a back-compatible technology... is it not?

Any shedding of light on this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I haven't updated the BIOS... ever. :heink: Could this have something to do with it?

Solution
it doesn't matter whether a motherboard with ddr memory only but it can support ddr2,dd3,gdd3 or gdd5 video cards easily and yes you have a board with 1.0 and the card interface is 2.1 so that should be the problem if you have a 2.0 maybe you will be fine.

xtreme5

Distinguished
it doesn't matter whether a motherboard with ddr memory only but it can support ddr2,dd3,gdd3 or gdd5 video cards easily and yes you have a board with 1.0 and the card interface is 2.1 so that should be the problem if you have a 2.0 maybe you will be fine.

Solution

AaronG_22

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
2.0 and 2.1 use the same protocol, if I'm not mistaken. I updated my BIOS to the 1109 build. Read on another forum that someone using a M2R32-MVP v1109 is using a 6870 2 GB with no problems. Still no luck with my 1109 build. Any other ideas?

AaronG_22

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Here's the answer:

I had to press the power button once, wait for the beeps to stop, press it again, and watch as my little orange "no signal" light went to blue. I'm in, it's done, voila. Found the answer on some Finnish tech support website. :D Thanks to everyone who helped me with this throughout the last few threads. It's finally over...

Status
Not open for further replies.