Phones using SIMs are GSM?

Last response: in Technologies
April 16, 2005 2:23:27 AM

If a cell phone can use a SIM card, does that automatically
mean it is GSM?

===
"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
-- Aristotle

More about : phones sims gsm

April 16, 2005 9:06:06 AM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:23:27 -0700, Ablang
<HilaryDuffEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

>If a cell phone can use a SIM card, does that automatically
>mean it is GSM?

No. Newer iDen phones (for Nextel and/or Mike) use SIMs and some
newer CDMA handsets use R-UIM which is similar in function and looks
similar to a SIM.

May 4, 2005 2:11:29 AM

Not necessarily....... there are CDMA handsets which make use of SIM (
called R-UIM) . Thats Removable User Identity Module for you. They
cannot be used in all CDMA handsets but only in RUIM handsets which
provide slot for the SIM.

The advantage of this is that a subscriber can log on to GSM as well as
CDMA networks by his choice.

Cheers!
!