Phones using SIMs are GSM?

If a cell phone can use a SIM card, does that automatically
mean it is GSM?

===
"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
-- Aristotle
2 answers Last reply
More about phones sims

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:23:27 -0700, Ablang
    <HilaryDuffEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

    >If a cell phone can use a SIM card, does that automatically
    >mean it is GSM?

    No. Newer iDen phones (for Nextel and/or Mike) use SIMs and some
    newer CDMA handsets use R-UIM which is similar in function and looks
    similar to a SIM.

    Not necessarily....... there are CDMA handsets which make use of SIM (
    called R-UIM) . Thats Removable User Identity Module for you. They
    cannot be used in all CDMA handsets but only in RUIM handsets which
    provide slot for the SIM.

    The advantage of this is that a subscriber can log on to GSM as well as
    CDMA networks by his choice.

    Cheers!

GSM Cell Phones Phones Sims SIM Card