Infrared photography

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 30, 2005 12:35:48 PM

I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an
Olympus C-350 Zoom which gives me most results I need. Is it possible
somehow to obtain infrared effect from it, or from a software programme ? I
also wondered if an infrared filter held firmly across the lens would do
the trick ? I m afraid I m not very well versed in technical detail but if
anybody can give me some tips I d be most grateful!

Cheers

Rick

More about : infrared photography

May 30, 2005 12:44:48 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@nospam.PhotoKB.com> wrote in message
>I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
> yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an
> Olympus C-350 Zoom which gives me most results I need. Is it possible
> somehow to obtain infrared effect from it, or from a software programme ?
> also wondered if an infrared filter held firmly across the lens would do
> the trick ? I m afraid I m not very well versed in technical detail but
> if
> anybody can give me some tips I d be most grateful!
>
> Cheers
>
> Rick

Test the camera, turn on the preview screen, and look at an IR source. The
easiest source is the TV remote, point it at the camera look at the preview
screen push buttons on the remote. If you see pale cyan blinks from the
diodes on the remote, that indicates the camera can "see" IR. Cheaper than
buying the IR filter and finding out the camera can't do IR.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:49:27 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@nospam.PhotoKB.com> writes:
> I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I
> can t yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam
> is an Olympus C-350 Zoom which gives me most results I need. Is it
> possible somehow to obtain infrared effect from it,

Yes. All digital cameras are capable of making infrared photographs.
But some are more sensitive than others. I don't have any data on
the Oly C-350, but many of the old Olympus P&S digicams was
excellent for this use - much better than the newer DSLR cameras!
I keep an old Oly 2020Z around, just for infrared.

To find out how well your camera works with IR, just test it with a
cheap infrared pass filter such as Hoya R72 in front of the lens, or
use an exposed piece of slide film as a "filter". When you've done,
please submit the results to my IR resource page:
http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/ir.html

> or from a software programme?

To fake the IR "look" in Photoshop CS or Elements, try the following:
Pick a colour photo with a lot of green foliage and an old building.
Use the channel mixer, tick the monochrome box and set green +200 red
-50 and blue -50. Click ok. Crank up the contrast and usually also
the brightness. Then add diffuse glow (filter->distort->diffuse glow,
make sure the background colour is set to white). Try grainess 6,
glow amount 4 and clear amount 15 as a starting point. Darken the sky
if it needs it. Add regular grain if you want to simulate the
appearence of B&W IR film.

But the real thing (shot with an IR-pass filter) will look better.

> I also wondered if an infrared filter held firmly across the lens
> would do the trick?

I guess that should work (but you may scratch the filter). There are
clip-on filter holders and things like Cokin that let you attach a
filter to any camera - you may want to get one of these.

> I m afraid I m not very well versed in technical detail but if
> anybody can give me some tips I d be most grateful!

At the bottom of my IR resource page, there is a link farm
with pointers to other pages with lots of pratcical advice
on digital IR photography.

May 30, 2005 5:55:04 PM

rick white via PhotoKB.com <forum@nospam.photokb.com> wrote:
>I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
>yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an
>Olympus C-350 Zoom which gives me most results I need. Is it possible
>somehow to obtain infrared effect from it, or from a software programme ? I
>also wondered if an infrared filter held firmly across the lens would do
>the trick ? I m afraid I m not very well versed in technical detail but if
>anybody can give me some tips I d be most grateful!

I know most webcams have IR-filter to block infrared light. Due that ccd is
more sensitive to this than any other light.
What many do-it-yourselfers has done is to remove this filter. And in some
cases used an black 35mm negative film as a visable light filter block.

I assume there is something similar in digitalcameras. If you dare to sacrifice
a digitalcamera. You could try to remove misc filters. You could buy some
real old camera in 1-2 Mpix class. If you want to do it real good. Put the ccd
on a peltier element.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:18:48 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> writes:

> Test the camera, turn on the preview screen, and look at an IR
> source. The easiest source is the TV remote, point it at the camera
> look at the preview screen push buttons on the remote. If you see
> pale cyan blinks from the diodes on the remote, that indicates the
> camera can "see" IR.

I have yet to find a digital camera that "fail" this test.
Because they ALL can do IR (to some extent).

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you how well suited the camera is for
IR photography. A Canon S50, for instance, will happily pass the
"remote control"-test, but the S50 pretty useless for IR photography.
Its sensitivity to IR wavelengths is very low (about 1% of the Oly
2020Z's sensitivity) and it sports a lens design that results in a
horrible blurred hotspot in the middle of the image.

> Cheaper than buying the IR filter and finding out the camera can't
> do IR.

Not really.
May 30, 2005 9:21:17 PM

Rick,
Check out this web site. It is very informative on how to do Infrared Photography.

Nath

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
> yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an
> Olympus C-350 Zoom which gives me most results I need. Is it possible
> somehow to obtain infrared effect from it, or from a software programme ? I
> also wondered if an infrared filter held firmly across the lens would do
> the trick ? I m afraid I m not very well versed in technical detail but if
> anybody can give me some tips I d be most grateful!
>
> Cheers
>
> Rick
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:28:31 PM

Hi Gisle,

Thanks so much for all your info, I ll give it a go and let you know
what happens. Incidentally, I have downloaded PICASSA 2, would this have
the necessary ingredients to "fake it " with the specs you gave me ??

Rick

May 30, 2005 9:30:01 PM

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for your reply, i m going to test it out in a day or so and will
let you know how I get on.

Rick

May 30, 2005 10:09:14 PM

Hi, is it also possible to obtain colour infrared on digi ?? I sawsome in
a book a while back which looked amazing. These were done on 35mm though !

Rick

May 30, 2005 10:51:56 PM

Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote in
> I don't have any data on
> the Oly C-350, but many of the old Olympus P&S digicams was
> excellent for this use - much better than the newer DSLR cameras!
> I keep an old Oly 2020Z around, just for infrared.

As far as I know, only C-2000Z, C-2020Z, C-21 and C-2100UZ were the good
ones, plus Nikon 950 & 775 that all used the same IR-friendly Sony image
sensor. With all these, and a Hoya R72 filter, IR photography is easy
without a tripod, unlike all current models. I really would suggest
finding any of the those models.

(Myself, I just bought a C-2000Z to replace a C-21 for IR purposes. In
ideal conditions the C-21, with its very sharp lens, would take better
photos, but generally it is a bit lacking.)

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm&gt;
Anonymous

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:
> Incidentally, I have downloaded PICASSA 2, would this have the
> necessary ingredients to "fake it " with the specs you gave me ??

Don't think so. I am not familiar with Picassa 2, but I've heard
is a very simple program. I can't imagine it has such things as
a channel mixer or a diffuse glow filtering.
May 31, 2005 1:06:08 AM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:
> Hi, is it also possible to obtain colour infrared on digi ?? I
> sawsome in a book a while back which looked amazing. These were done
> on 35mm though !

All colour infrared are "faked". Infrared is light above 700 nm,
and has no "colour" perceptible by humans.

Kodak used to make something called "Kodak Ektachrome Professional
Infrared EIR Film" for (fake) colour infrared. It renders the
infrared light that is reflected by healthy foliage bright red.
I think it was meant for scientific purposes, such as identifying
damaged plantlife, researching forged artwork, etc. Some people also
used it artistically - which is probabably what you've seen on 35mm.

I've experimented a bit with reproducing the Kodak EIR "look" in
digital post-processing. Starting with a digital shot image taken
using Hoya's R72 IR-pass filter, swapping red and blue channels, and
then tweaking WB a bit produces a (IMHO) quite good "replica" of the
Kodak EIR appearance, but of course without any scientific merit.
May 31, 2005 10:36:00 PM

Gisle, I ve think I ve only ever owned 3 cameras, 2 of them Olympus
including my current C-350 Z p+s. If I did try to to step up a gear to
say a Olympus C-2020 Z if this is the best choice? for i/r purpose how much
would I be looking to lay out on one roughly. I must confess I don t even
know how long they ve been around (excuse my ignorance) or where to obtain
one ???

Thanks

Rick

June 1, 2005 6:21:33 AM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:

> Gisle, I ve think I ve only ever owned 3 cameras, 2 of them Olympus
> including my current C-350 Z p+s. If I did try to to step up a gear
> to say a Olympus C-2020 Z if this is the best choice?

First: Don't buy a new camera before you've tested the IR capabilities
of your present one - using the procedures that has been suggested
earlier in the thread. You may be lucky and find out that it works
well enough to be all you need.

Second: The Oly C-2020Z is an older and in some respects a lower grade
camera than your present C-350Z. It is, for instance, only 2 Mpx,
while your present one is 3 Mpx.

The C-2020Z from Olympus is, however, AFAIK one of the best compacts
for near-IR photography. There are three reasons for this:
1) The sensor used (the Sony 1/2" 2.11 Mpx) was more sensitive to
near-IR-light than any other sensor used in an unmodified compact
except some Sony's with "nightshot" capabilities (which
unfortunately was crippled by Sony to limit their utility in
daylight).
2) It can be fitted with an adapter tube (Kenko has a cheap one with
52 mm thread) for fitting IR-pass filters.
3) It has a fast (f/2.0) lens.

I don't know if Oly C-2020Z is the "best" choice. It is the one I use
for near-IR photography, and I am happy with it. Other compacts with
the same Sony sensor, including its C-2000Z, C-2040Z, C-2100UZ, C-21
have similar IR-qualities.

> for i/r purpose how much would I be looking to lay out on one
> roughly. I must confess I don t even know how long they ve been
> around (excuse my ignorance) or where to obtain one ???

All these camera's are really old, and introduced from 1999 and
onwards. The only places you can get them are garage sales, used
equipment shops, and eBay. I bought my Olymus C-2020Z on eBay a
couple of years ago for $60. I just had a look at eBay and these
days a C-2020Z in good condition seem to fetch more than $100!
In my opinion, that is way too much to pay for a 5-6 year old
2 Mpx camera, but YMMV.

If you decide to get a Oly C-2020Z to experiment with infrared, you
also need an IR-pass filter - the cheapest is probably Hoya R72
with 52 mm thread (~$41), and an adapter tube:
http://store.yahoo.com/kenkomall/kendigcamadr4.html ($16) to mount
the filter on the camera.

Good luck!
June 1, 2005 6:39:26 AM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:

> Gisle, I ve think I ve only ever owned 3 cameras, 2 of them Olympus
> including my current C-350 Z p+s. If I did try to to step up a gear
> to say a Olympus C-2020 Z if this is the best choice?

First: Don't buy a new camera before you've tested the IR capabilities
of your present one - using the procedures that has been suggested
earlier in the thread. You may be lucky and find out that it works
well enough to be all you need.

Second: The Oly C-2020Z is an older and in some respects a lower grade
camera than your present C-350Z. It is, for instance, only 2 Mpx,
while your present one is 3 Mpx.

The C-2020Z from Olympus is, however, AFAIK one of the best compacts
for near-IR photography. There are three reasons for this:
1) The sensor used (the Sony 1/2" 2.11 Mpx) was more sensitive to
near-IR-light than any other sensor used in an unmodified compact
except some Sony's with "nightshot" capabilities (which
unfortunately was crippled by Sony to limit their utility in
daylight).
2) It can be fitted with an adapter tube (Raynox has a cheap one
with 52 mm thread) for fitting IR-pass filters.
3) It has a fast (f/2.0) lens.

I don't know if Oly C-2020Z is the "best" choice. It is the one I use
for near-IR photography, and I am happy with it. Other compacts with
the same Sony sensor, including its C-2000Z, C-2040Z, C-2100UZ, C-21
have similar IR-qualities.

> for i/r purpose how much would I be looking to lay out on one
> roughly. I must confess I don t even know how long they ve been
> around (excuse my ignorance) or where to obtain one ???

All these camera's are really old, and introduced from 1999 and
onwards. The only places you can get them are garage sales, used
equipment shops, and eBay. I bought my Olymus C-2020Z on eBay a
couple of years ago for $60. I just had a look at eBay and these
days a C-2020Z in good condition seem to fetch more than $100!
In my opinion, that is way too much to pay for a 5-6 year old
2 Mpx camera, but YMMV.

If you decide to get a Oly C-2020Z to experiment with infrared, you
also need an IR-pass filter - the cheapest is probably Hoya R72
with 52 mm thread (~$41), and a Raynox lens adapter tube, e.g.:
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ray-rt5241.ht... ($16) to
mount the filter on the camera.
June 2, 2005 9:33:50 PM

Greetings Gisle,

Actually, Kodak still does make KODAK EKTACHROME Professional Infrared EIR
Film. It features Infrared sensitivity from 700 to 900 nm and normal (near
ultraviolet and visible) sensitivity from 380 to 700 nm. Pretty good as a
significant portion is outside the normal visible spectrum. But light is
really just energy that we can see. Since film does not process that energy
but simply records it, we can apply other technology as you note so what is
recorded becomes useful to us, i.e. false color. An interesting way of
capturing information and making it work for us.

This technology is used widely by the government, and private companies,
especially in agriculture. Your application sounds pretty interesting from
an aesthetic view. I would love to see some of the results of your digital
application.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message
> "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:
> > Hi, is it also possible to obtain colour infrared on digi ?? I
> > sawsome in a book a while back which looked amazing. These were done
> > on 35mm though !
>
> All colour infrared are "faked". Infrared is light above 700 nm,
> and has no "colour" perceptible by humans.
>
> Kodak used to make something called "Kodak Ektachrome Professional
> Infrared EIR Film" for (fake) colour infrared. It renders the
> infrared light that is reflected by healthy foliage bright red.
> I think it was meant for scientific purposes, such as identifying
> damaged plantlife, researching forged artwork, etc. Some people also
> used it artistically - which is probabably what you've seen on 35mm.
>
> I've experimented a bit with reproducing the Kodak EIR "look" in
> digital post-processing. Starting with a digital shot image taken
> using Hoya's R72 IR-pass filter, swapping red and blue channels, and
> then tweaking WB a bit produces a (IMHO) quite good "replica" of the
> Kodak EIR appearance, but of course without any scientific merit.
> --
> - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
> Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
June 2, 2005 9:54:53 PM

A big thanks to Gisle and everyone who responded for pointing me in the
right direction. I hope to get started in a few weeks and let you know how
it goes (after many foul ups I guess ) so watch this space.

Thanks all for now

Rick

June 13, 2005 3:34:49 PM

rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Gisle,
>
> I m almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and Elements.. I
> ve checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget. Elements is around
> the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m likely to need for b/w infrared
> and also colour???
>
> Rick

Check out GIMP 2 - it's freeware, and it has most of the important
functions of Photoshop. I use it to adjust levels and curves all the
time; it's much more stable than the original 1.X versions now, and
it's quite usable. It's a little bit harder to learn and use than PS,
but that's what you're not paying for.....

Windows binaries(ie., compiled, ready to install program):
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Unix/Linix binaries:
http://www.gimp.org/unix/
(but you'd be better off compiling the source for your particular
flavor)

MacOSX binaries:
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

GIMP documentation:
http://www.gimp.org/docs/

Source code:
http://www.gimp.org/source/

ECM
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:35:50 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> Gisle, I ve think I ve only ever owned 3 cameras, 2 of them Olympus
>> including my current C-350 Z p+s. If I did try to to step up a gear
>> to say a Olympus C-2020 Z if this is the best choice?
>
>First: Don't buy a new camera before you've tested the IR capabilities
>of your present one - using the procedures that has been suggested
>earlier in the thread. You may be lucky and find out that it works
>well enough to be all you need.
>
>Second: The Oly C-2020Z is an older and in some respects a lower grade
>camera than your present C-350Z. It is, for instance, only 2 Mpx,
>while your present one is 3 Mpx.
>
>The C-2020Z from Olympus is, however, AFAIK one of the best compacts
>for near-IR photography. There are three reasons for this:
>1) The sensor used (the Sony 1/2" 2.11 Mpx) was more sensitive to
> near-IR-light than any other sensor used in an unmodified compact
> except some Sony's with "nightshot" capabilities (which
> unfortunately was crippled by Sony to limit their utility in
> daylight).
>2) It can be fitted with an adapter tube (Kenko has a cheap one with
> 52 mm thread) for fitting IR-pass filters.
>3) It has a fast (f/2.0) lens.
>
>I don't know if Oly C-2020Z is the "best" choice. It is the one I use
>for near-IR photography, and I am happy with it. Other compacts with
>the same Sony sensor, including its C-2000Z, C-2040Z, C-2100UZ, C-21
>have similar IR-qualities.
>
>> for i/r purpose how much would I be looking to lay out on one
>> roughly. I must confess I don t even know how long they ve been
>> around (excuse my ignorance) or where to obtain one ???
>
>All these camera's are really old, and introduced from 1999 and
>onwards. The only places you can get them are garage sales, used
>equipment shops, and eBay. I bought my Olymus C-2020Z on eBay a
>couple of years ago for $60. I just had a look at eBay and these
>days a C-2020Z in good condition seem to fetch more than $100!
>In my opinion, that is way too much to pay for a 5-6 year old
>2 Mpx camera, but YMMV.
>
>If you decide to get a Oly C-2020Z to experiment with infrared, you
>also need an IR-pass filter - the cheapest is probably Hoya R72
>with 52 mm thread (~$41), and an adapter tube:
>http://store.yahoo.com/kenkomall/kendigcamadr4.html ($16) to mount
>the filter on the camera.
>
>Good luck!

June 13, 2005 6:36:20 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> Gisle, I ve think I ve only ever owned 3 cameras, 2 of them Olympus
>> including my current C-350 Z p+s. If I did try to to step up a gear
>> to say a Olympus C-2020 Z if this is the best choice?
>
>First: Don't buy a new camera before you've tested the IR capabilities
>of your present one - using the procedures that has been suggested
>earlier in the thread. You may be lucky and find out that it works
>well enough to be all you need.
>
>Second: The Oly C-2020Z is an older and in some respects a lower grade
>camera than your present C-350Z. It is, for instance, only 2 Mpx,
>while your present one is 3 Mpx.
>
>The C-2020Z from Olympus is, however, AFAIK one of the best compacts
>for near-IR photography. There are three reasons for this:
>1) The sensor used (the Sony 1/2" 2.11 Mpx) was more sensitive to
> near-IR-light than any other sensor used in an unmodified compact
> except some Sony's with "nightshot" capabilities (which
> unfortunately was crippled by Sony to limit their utility in
> daylight).
>2) It can be fitted with an adapter tube (Raynox has a cheap one
> with 52 mm thread) for fitting IR-pass filters.
>3) It has a fast (f/2.0) lens.
>
>I don't know if Oly C-2020Z is the "best" choice. It is the one I use
>for near-IR photography, and I am happy with it. Other compacts with
>the same Sony sensor, including its C-2000Z, C-2040Z, C-2100UZ, C-21
>have similar IR-qualities.
>
>> for i/r purpose how much would I be looking to lay out on one
>> roughly. I must confess I don t even know how long they ve been
>> around (excuse my ignorance) or where to obtain one ???
>
>All these camera's are really old, and introduced from 1999 and
>onwards. The only places you can get them are garage sales, used
>equipment shops, and eBay. I bought my Olymus C-2020Z on eBay a
>couple of years ago for $60. I just had a look at eBay and these
>days a C-2020Z in good condition seem to fetch more than $100!
>In my opinion, that is way too much to pay for a 5-6 year old
>2 Mpx camera, but YMMV.
>
>If you decide to get a Oly C-2020Z to experiment with infrared, you
>also need an IR-pass filter - the cheapest is probably Hoya R72
>with 52 mm thread (~$41), and a Raynox lens adapter tube, e.g.:
>http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ray-rt5241.ht... ($16) to
>mount the filter on the camera.

June 13, 2005 6:50:42 PM

Hi Gisle,

I m almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and Elements. I
ve checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget. Elements is around
the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m likely to need for b/w infrared
and also colour???

Rick

June 13, 2005 9:12:46 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:

> I'm almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and
> Elements. I've checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget.
> Elements is around the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m
> likely to need for b/w infrared and also colour???

I'm not familiar with PS Elements, so I am probably not the
right one to answer this.

PS Elements has a function to turn colour into monochrome, which is
one of the things you need, and it also has a function to adjust
brightness and contrast, which is another thing you will need.
So I guess you can manage with PS Elements.

What is missing in PS Elements is the channel mixer and curves
adjustments. The channel mixer is used for more control when
converting into monochrome, and for fake colour IR photography.
The curves adjustment is very handy for getting that extra zing
out of the IR highlights.

There si a free 30 day trial period for both Elements and
CS2 - so you can try them out and find out if its good enough
for your needs before you have to pay for anything.
June 13, 2005 9:12:47 PM

Thanks Gisle,

How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i still
need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the colour ??

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> I'm almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and
>> Elements. I've checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget.
>> Elements is around the £70 mark, would it give me everything I m
>> likely to need for b/w infrared and also colour???
>
>I'm not familiar with PS Elements, so I am probably not the
>right one to answer this.
>
>PS Elements has a function to turn colour into monochrome, which is
>one of the things you need, and it also has a function to adjust
>brightness and contrast, which is another thing you will need.
>So I guess you can manage with PS Elements.
>
>What is missing in PS Elements is the channel mixer and curves
>adjustments. The channel mixer is used for more control when
>converting into monochrome, and for fake colour IR photography.
>The curves adjustment is very handy for getting that extra zing
>out of the IR highlights.
>
>There si a free 30 day trial period for both Elements and
>CS2 - so you can try them out and find out if its good enough
>for your needs before you have to pay for anything.

June 13, 2005 10:15:19 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:
> How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
> still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
> colour ??

The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.
June 13, 2005 10:15:20 PM

In article <q54qc29qso.fsf@viisi.ifi.uio.no>,
Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:
> > How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
> > still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
> > colour ??
>
> The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
> place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
> get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
> some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.

If you do not want "flat and lacking in contrast" pictures, do not shoot
in IR.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:31:03 PM

Hi Everybody,

I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may recall my
camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z with hardly any
means of manual control. My method was very basic and unprofessional but I m
really quite pleased for a first crack at it even though not to the standard
of some of you guys n gals. I sat the camera on the tripod and set it to
timer to avoid touching it any more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya
R72 filter carefully against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no
facilities for a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
sunlight with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of
ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really find I
could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my lack of experience). I
would also like to thank everybody who has been generous with their help and
sorry to any messages I havn t answered directly, so much to take you
understand.

If you d like to see my photos go to
http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist

I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

Rick

nk wrote:
>Rick,
>Check out this web site. It is very informative on how to do Infrared Photography.
>
>Nath
>
>http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm
>
>> I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
>> yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>> Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:31:04 PM

rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may
> recall my camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z
> with hardly any means of manual control. My method was very basic
> and unprofessional but I m really quite pleased for a first crack at
> it even though not to the standard of some of you guys n gals. I
> sat
> the camera on the tripod and set it to timer to avoid touching it
> any
> more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya R72 filter carefully
> against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no facilities for
> a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
> sunlight
> with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
> worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download
> of ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t
> really find I could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my
> lack of experience). I would also like to thank everybody who has
> been generous with their help and sorry to any messages I havn t
> answered directly, so much to take you understand.
>
> If you d like to see my photos go to
> http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
>
> I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

I think the muted effect is very appropriate for the subject.

High-contrast Infra Red is seductive, and it seems to me much of what
is displayed overdoes it in that direction. The IR "medium", less
pervasive than color or monochrome, has a tendency to overwhelm
content on first viewing. Your images are very inviting of scrutiny.

Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your comments, most welcome. I need a great deal of practice
at this to improve but practice a will.

Rick

Frank ess wrote:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>>
>> I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.
>
>I think the muted effect is very appropriate for the subject.
>
>High-contrast Infra Red is seductive, and it seems to me much of what
>is displayed overdoes it in that direction. The IR "medium", less
>pervasive than color or monochrome, has a tendency to overwhelm
>content on first viewing. Your images are very inviting of scrutiny.
>
>Thank you for the opportunity.

June 19, 2005 5:12:53 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> wrote in
> I have a free trial download of
> ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really
> find I could get any better result

If you haven't yet bought Elements, you might want to consider PaintShop
Pro. It has a very good noise removal function, which would make especially
the skies much cleaner and tremendously improve the photographs.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm&gt;
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:43:58 PM

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <forum@PhotoKB.com> writes:

> I transferred the images onto my PC and worked them around a bit in
> PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of ELEMENTS which I tried
> on one image but to be honest I didn't really find I could get any
> better result (Yes probably due to my lack of experience).
>
> If you d like to see my photos go to
> http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
>
> I'd appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

Very nice!

Some may like the muted effect of the images as they are, but
I think they might need a little more contrast.

One suggestion:
Load the images into Elements and select: Enhance->Auto Levels.

It would be nice to know the exposure data (Aperture, Exposure
time, ISO setting). They should be in the EXIF of the original
files.
June 19, 2005 7:12:11 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> I transferred the images onto my PC and worked them around a bit in
>> PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of ELEMENTS which I tried
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>
>> I'd appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.
>
>Very nice!
>
>Some may like the muted effect of the images as they are, but
>I think they might need a little more contrast.
>
>One suggestion:
>Load the images into Elements and select: Enhance->Auto Levels.
>
>It would be nice to know the exposure data (Aperture, Exposure
>time, ISO setting). They should be in the EXIF of the original
>files.
Hi Gisle,

Thanks for your words of encouragement, I ll have another tinker with
them along those lines. Sorry, more ignorance on my part but where and how
do I access the original files for EXIF ?? I ve deleted the pictures from
the camera so hopefully they ll be on the PC ?? More than happy to pass on
the info IF I CAN FIND IT !!

June 19, 2005 7:15:53 PM

Hi Matti,

Thanks for your suggestion, no I havn t bought Elements yet. Bit
bewildered at present but learning all the time. will keep Paintshop Pro in
mind.

Cheers

Matti Vuori wrote:
>> I have a free trial download of
>> ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really
>> find I could get any better result
>
>If you haven't yet bought Elements, you might want to consider PaintShop
>Pro. It has a very good noise removal function, which would make especially
>the skies much cleaner and tremendously improve the photographs.

June 21, 2005 2:23:49 AM

19 Jun 2005 15:12:11 GMT, "rick white via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

>Sorry, more ignorance on my part but where and how
>do I access the original files for EXIF ?? I ve deleted the pictures from
>the camera so hopefully they ll be on the PC ?? More than happy to pass on
>the info IF I CAN FIND IT !!

Check the properties of the picture files in Windows Explorer, the
sheet called Summary. Or use EXIF InfoTip over at
http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html
!