Sign in with
Your question

$400 Budget, Upgrading Computer

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2012 5:57:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week

Budget Range: $200-$400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web browsing, movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, PSU (Rocketfish 500W), Graphics Card (XFX ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB), CPU (Intel i7 860 2.8GHz)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: I plan to buy the following parts...
1) BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681313816...

2) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3) Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: not sure.. but I have a 20" Acer Monitor Widescreen

Additional Comments: I am upgrading from a Dell Studio XPS 8000. I previously upgraded the PSU and Graphics card as listed above in the Parts Not Required. I am planning on keeping my CPU and upgrading the motherboard with socket LGA 1156. The current motherboard is Micro-ATX and I want to get a standard ATX and upgrade the case as well. The total cost of the three parts listed above is $192 without shipping. I do not plan on upgrading to socket LGA 1155..I am not an intense gamer and don't want to purchase a new CPU.

**Will I need to rebuy Windows 7 OS if i am only replacing the motherboard? I still have the reinstallation CD from Dell.

**Are the parts above compatible with what I currently have?
February 19, 2012 6:12:16 PM

Looks very good! Perhaps you'd want to get a different PSU though. Not that it's not good, but it's not great. I haven't really seen much reviews of Rocketfish other than knowing it's a Bestbuy brand. Knowing that, I think it's going to crap out on you. An alternate suggestion would be probably the Antec Neo Eco 520w, or the Corsair CX430. Both are cheap but would work fine with your build.
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:39:54 PM

aznshinobi said:
Looks very good! Perhaps you'd want to get a different PSU though. Not that it's not good, but it's not great. I haven't really seen much reviews of Rocketfish other than knowing it's a Bestbuy brand. Knowing that, I think it's going to crap out on you. An alternate suggestion would be probably the Antec Neo Eco 520w, or the Corsair CX430. Both are cheap but would work fine with your build.

Thanks for the reply!

Will i still need to rebuy Windows 7 OS though? I will be using the same CPU and hard drive, but different motherboard. I have the re installation CD.
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:49:28 PM

Depending on your OS, if you bought OS not the OEM version, then you will not need to purchase another disc. If you bought an OEM disc like what Newegg sells for $100 then yes you will need to get another one.

I believe it's that OEM CDs don't allow you to change your motherboard, if you do it won't work. But I believe retail ones do allow you to have 2+ installations.
m
l
!