Improving a PC, need help

chen888

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi!
My PC's starting to get old, and so I have decided to upgrade it a bit. My gig right now is made of:
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
Intel Core 2 Duo 7500 3.4gh(OC)
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W
Vapor-X Radeon 5770 1GB OC Ed
2GB DDR2 Kingston 800mhz * 2 (4GB)
Win XP SP3

For now, first priority is to get the Intel Core I7 2600K 3.4Ghz to replace the Duo, and a clean Windows 7 install. Now, I know that my mobo does NOT support this CPU, hence my dillema.
If I change the mobo, I may have to face the reality of changing all of my components, which I don't want. Cause I'm cheap. So, just wondering if there exists some magical mobo out there that supports 2600k, my vapor-x and DDR2 chips???? :D??
thanks in advance!

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

One bit of good news, your graphics card is compatible with all newer motherboards, though, your DDR2 based memory isn't, as the Core I series all have DDR3 memory controllers on them, and aren't compatible with DDR2 unfortunately, but memory is cheap, you can get a 4GB DDR3 kit for around $20 or less, and 8GBs for $40 or so.

I don't know of any socket 1155 (2600k compatible) mobo that supports DDR2 RAM. The only option to keep DDR2 and possibly upgrade a bit is with an AMD AM3/AM2+ mobo, but I wouldn't recommend that at this point.

Here is what I'd do for a small upgrade:
* Upgrade your GPU to a 6870 or better (if you want a GPU upgrade) ~$175
* Upgrade to 8gb's, but that would be cost prohibitive (~$150 for 2 x 4gb sets)
* Upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit (if you want Direct x 10-11 for games)

Otherwise your going to need to upgrade to a socket 1155 for the 2600k and RAM is still a bit cheap for 8 gb's.

Upgrades:
* Socket z68 mobo ~$100-150
* 2600k or maybe 2500k would be a better buy, unless your really needing the 2600k.
* Upgrade your GPU, if your wanting more GPU power (the 5770 is a good gaming card, unless your pushing limits on 1920 x 1080 resolution)
* Re-use your HD/DVD Drive/Case/PSU

chen888

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Ok, then I have a few more questions:
1) Will 4GB be enough for... lets say... Witcher 2, on Win7? Enough, that is, for the game to run smoothly with no slowdowns, on medium settings, and to allow me to browse youtube at the background, from time to time?
2) What would be the cheapest mobo that has OC support, firewire and USB3 ports?
3) I'm not familiar with the z68 socket. Any reason I should invest in it, rather than buy 1155?
4) Does my PSU remain compatible throughout this change?
5) Will I be able to place any cooling system on my CPU that I wish, regardless of the mobo?
Also, right now I'm pretty satisfied with my GPU so I'm not planning on upgrading it for the time being.

Thanks for your time!

Okay so here you go:
1) 4 gb is what I would call the standard amount of RAM that I use to build a new system (8 gb of DDR3 for ~$40-50 is a steal right now). 4 gb's should be fine for most things and only will be stressed/pushed on certain scenarios.
2) Getting a "Cheap" mobo isn't always the best option to get when upgrading a system. What is cheap now, might cost you more later, so I recommend buying somewhere in the middle.
3) Intel has 3 chipsets for socket 1155 (h67, p67, & z68). Here's a picture that sums it up pretty good:
z68-slide-300x137.jpg

4) Your PSU is fine for any upgrade you want, unless you go extreme on the GPU side of things (which your not doing).
5) You should be able to attach just about any cooling solution that you desire, but will be limited by your mobo configuration (RAM slots might be too close for certain cooling options), limited by your case design and by your case dimensions.

If you have a small ATX case you won't be able to put in big CPU HSF's in it, but shouldn't have any issues putting in stock or mid-range CPU HSF's.