How to set up a wireless network with just ethernet cord?

cowgod2007

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hey guys,

So I'm going to college soon and for some odd reason, they are only giving us an ethernet cable in our dorm rooms. (We do not have access to the router or wifi in our dorms for some odd reason). Since this is the case, I want to sometimes bring my laptop onto my bed rather than be constrained to my desk, where the cord is.

Is there any way to get some sort of device, like a wireless bridge or router that gets its source from ethernet and I can set up a wireless network?

Thanks

Solution
Any wireless router will do the trick. You just run the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port to the LAN port provided by the school. In effect, the school becomes your ISP.

That said, beware that colleges often BAN routers! So you may be in violation of school policy by using a router, but that's all you need.
Any wireless router will do the trick. You just run the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port to the LAN port provided by the school. In effect, the school becomes your ISP.

That said, beware that colleges often BAN routers! So you may be in violation of school policy by using a router, but that's all you need.

Solution

cowgod2007

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Oh...ok. So I can just bring any old router and just plug in the LAN and power cord, and thats all I need to start the wireless network? I dont need the smaller wire (I dont know what its called, but its head is smaller than the ethernet one)?

Thanks!

Both these are male. I would need a female side and a male side.

Don't see why unless you were planning to extend the cable they have in the wall. You unplug the cable in the room, and use the longer one, not attach one cable to the other. Or is their ethernet cable coming out of the wall with no jack?

cowgod2007

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Coming out the wall with no jack, haha. Ethernet cords are running throughout the walls :(

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

The problem you'll have is the campus network agreement typically says no wireless networking allowed. The technical problem is this. Say you have 1000 students in a dorm, they all install wireless routers, access points, etc. Now you have frequency congestion, probable packet collisions and generally a usage that the network wasn't designed for. Honestly I think that more universities should have wireless setup in the dorms like they do everywhere else on campus; I don't really know why more don't do that.