Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to set up a wireless network with just ethernet cord?

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 9, 2011 12:08:10 AM

Hey guys,

So I'm going to college soon and for some odd reason, they are only giving us an ethernet cable in our dorm rooms. (We do not have access to the router or wifi in our dorms for some odd reason). Since this is the case, I want to sometimes bring my laptop onto my bed rather than be constrained to my desk, where the cord is.

Is there any way to get some sort of device, like a wireless bridge or router that gets its source from ethernet and I can set up a wireless network?

Thanks

Best solution

March 9, 2011 12:17:10 AM

Any wireless router will do the trick. You just run the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port to the LAN port provided by the school. In effect, the school becomes your ISP.

That said, beware that colleges often BAN routers! So you may be in violation of school policy by using a router, but that's all you need.
Share
Related resources
March 9, 2011 7:50:31 PM

eibgrad said:
Any wireless router will do the trick. You just run the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port to the LAN port provided by the school. In effect, the school becomes your ISP.

That said, beware that colleges often BAN routers! So you may be in violation of school policy by using a router, but that's all you need.


Oh...ok. So I can just bring any old router and just plug in the LAN and power cord, and thats all I need to start the wireless network? I dont need the smaller wire (I dont know what its called, but its head is smaller than the ethernet one)?

Thanks!


hang-the-9 said:
You can also get a longer cord, cheap and you won't get yelled at if they don't allow any add-one network devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Both these are male. I would need a female side and a male side.
m
0
l
March 9, 2011 7:50:37 PM

Best answer selected by cowgod2007.
m
0
l
March 9, 2011 8:03:11 PM

cowgod2007 said:
Both these are male. I would need a female side and a male side.


Don't see why unless you were planning to extend the cable they have in the wall. You unplug the cable in the room, and use the longer one, not attach one cable to the other. Or is their ethernet cable coming out of the wall with no jack?
m
0
l
March 9, 2011 8:06:34 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Don't see why unless you were planning to extend the cable they have in the wall. You unplug the cable in the room, and use the longer one, not attach one cable to the other. Or is their ethernet cable coming out of the wall with no jack?


Coming out the wall with no jack, haha. Ethernet cords are running throughout the walls :( 
m
0
l
March 11, 2011 2:37:50 AM

What about a wireless access point if routers are not allowed?
m
0
l
March 11, 2011 1:40:27 PM

santia368 said:
What about a wireless access point if routers are not allowed?

The problem you'll have is the campus network agreement typically says no wireless networking allowed. The technical problem is this. Say you have 1000 students in a dorm, they all install wireless routers, access points, etc. Now you have frequency congestion, probable packet collisions and generally a usage that the network wasn't designed for. Honestly I think that more universities should have wireless setup in the dorms like they do everywhere else on campus; I don't really know why more don't do that.
m
0
l
!