How to set file views...and best resource for learning new..

Rachel

Hi all,

I just recently upgraded to XP. Can't find how to set the
file views the way I like them. Every time I click on a
folder to find a file, the program shows me the contents
in icon view, which I don't prefer. I change it, but the
next time I go to a folder, it gives me icons view again.
The older OS didn't do that - basically it was 'set it
and forget it'.

Also, since I AM new to XP, can anyone refer me to a good
site or book that I can use to quickly get up to speed?

Go to Start > Run and type: control folders , and hit enter.
Click on the View tab, scroll down to "Remember each folder's
view settings", place a check mark next to it, click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rachel" wrote:

| Hi all,
|
| I just recently upgraded to XP. Can't find how to set the
| file views the way I like them. Every time I click on a
| folder to find a file, the program shows me the contents
| in icon view, which I don't prefer. I change it, but the
| next time I go to a folder, it gives me icons view again.
| The older OS didn't do that - basically it was 'set it
| and forget it'.
|
| Also, since I AM new to XP, can anyone refer me to a good
| site or book that I can use to quickly get up to speed?

Rachel

Thanks! Excellent directions! One Question: Am I going to
have to do this with every folder in order for the
program to remember how I like to view the files?

Rachel

aspx

-------------------

Rachel wrote:

> Thanks! Excellent directions! One Question: Am I going to
> have to do this with every folder in order for the
> program to remember how I like to view the files?
>
> Rachel
Hi

Set the view as you want it in an Explorer session.

In the same Explorer session, select Tools\Folder Options...

Click on the View tab, scroll down to "Remember each folder's
view settings", *remove* the check mark next to it.

Then click the "Apply to All Folders" button.

Then click OK.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: