GPU HDMI vs MOBO HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Title basically says it... My PC components for my first build are arriving tomo(I hope) and My MOBO has a normal HDMI while the GPU im hoping to get has a mini HDMI(it does come with an adapter), and I'll find the adapter annoying, so i was wondering if theres any problems with connecting to the motherboard instead of the GPU when i get it?

Solution
If you connect it to the mother board it would be like not even having a video card. Connect it to the card itself, even if it requires an adapter. It's just a sacrifice you have to make.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
lol, so if i connect it to the motherboard, its like not having a GPU? im getting either a gtx570 or hd6970. i bought z68 board.i got i7 2600k.
its just that i thought it wouldn't make a difference

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you connect it to the mother board it would be like not even having a video card. Connect it to the card itself, even if it requires an adapter. It's just a sacrifice you have to make.

Solution

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Well if you want to use HDMI just for audio you could probably use the motherboard's HDMI input (assuming it is connected to a receiver). Don't know that for sure though.

What's so bad about a 6" adapter? It makes your cable 6 inches longer?

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If you plug it into the motherboard you will be running off the intel HD 3000 GPU inside your 2600k. It will run some games on really low settings, older games can be alright. But if you are getting a graphics card I suggest using that ;)

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
ah that sucks, so hows my motherboard meant to use the i7's iGPU for low GPU intensive programs if i'm not going to plug it into the motherboard?

EDIT:btw i got the asus p8z68 motherboard

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
The thing with Z68 boards is that you have the option to use EITHER your CPU OR a dedicated GPU for graphics processing, but not both simultaneously.

Some people do not play games and may not care about graphics so they can just use the CPU as their GPU. Since you have a graphics card, the Mobo will consider that as the GPU and it will not use your CPU for graphics.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
The thing with Z68 boards is that you have the option to use EITHER your CPU OR a dedicated GPU for graphics processing, but not both simultaneously.

it can use them simultaneously, i'm not sure where i read it, but it assigns graphics cards according to how much graphics power is needed, so if i'm playing a high end game it will use my graphics card, but if i'm just surfing the net, it will use the iGPU in the i7

Status
Not open for further replies.