Cheapest HTPC route?

A relative wants a second PC, and also wanted a way of watching Netflix on the TV.
So I was originally thinking of a Roku, but than I thought of using a PC for it.
The main uses will be a simple Netflix streamer, as well as just playing online games on Pogo.com.

The PC would be hooked up to a 1080P 40" Samsung LCD, but running the computer in 720P would be best.
Video quality isn't a big deal, as 480P (720P is good too) is probably the highest needing to be streamed.
What options are there besides Windows that can stream Netflix? Can Linux (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, ect) run Netflix
yet? If I need to purchase a Windows 7 OEM disc, I would already be pushing the budget.

Without Windows, I should be able to build a good cheap PC in my budget. If there is no other good OS that can run Netflix
properly, would a build like this be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108659&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-83-108-659-_-Homepage2011
10 answers Last reply
More about cheapest htpc route
  1. Without spending like $500 - $600 you could check out the Asrock pre-built HTPCS - they're similar in style to the Mac Mini: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007549&IsNodeId=1&Description=asrock&name=Barebone%20Systems&Order=BESTMATCH
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    Without spending like $500 - $600 you could check out the Asrock pre-built HTPCS - they're similar in style to the Mac Mini: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007549&IsNodeId=1&Description=asrock&name=Barebone%20Systems&Order=BESTMATCH


    Woah! Wrong direction with the price. XD

    I think the E3400 in that Lenovo would be fast enough, as the relative's main desktop has an E5800 or so which performs almost the same. Price needs to be comparable to the Lenovo I posted. Which should be possible without Windows 7 as long as I can stream Netflix on Ubuntu/Linux

    Size also isn't a concern. A standard size PC should be fine.
  3. SingingThroughTheStorm said:
    Woah! Wrong direction with the price. XD

    I think the E3400 in that Lenovo would be fast enough, as the relative's main desktop has an E5800 or so which performs almost the same. Price needs to be comparable to the Lenovo I posted. Which should be possible without Windows 7 as long as I can stream Netflix on Ubuntu/Linux

    Size also isn't a concern. A standard size PC should be fine.


    I didn't realize those were so expensive. :lol:

    The demand for HTPCs have seen case manufacturers produce some really high quality ones. You can get one that looks like a component sitting on your shelf.

    Try this:

    Case: nMedia PC - $69.99
    PSU: Corsair CX430 - $44.99
    Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67GDB3 - $89.99
    CPU: Intel Pentium G620 - $69.99
    RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC 1333MHz 1.5V - $29.99
    HD: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SSD Hybrid Drive - $109.99
    Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $89.99

    Total: $502.93
  4. Have you looked at the Mini's offered by NewEgg?

    Giada A50-BA531 AMD Fusion E350 1.6G APU Dual Core ATI 6310 HDM+VGA WiFi USB 3.0 IR+Remote w/ 2GB RAM, 320G HD Nettop PC - $309.99

    There are a ton of mini's out there right now that can easily do what you need in the $200~300 range ... all the way up to $1000+. Heh.

    Mini / Booksize Systems

    Just make sure you look at their spec thoroughly, as some of those are barebone systems.

    (That Lenovo is probably a more powerful box, but remember, it's going to sound like a desktop ... ;))

    ~C
  5. CellDPXZ said:
    Have you looked at the Mini's offered by NewEgg?

    Giada A50-BA531 AMD Fusion E350 1.6G APU Dual Core ATI 6310 HDM+VGA WiFi USB 3.0 IR+Remote w/ 2GB RAM, 320G HD Nettop PC - $309.99

    There are a ton of mini's out there right now that can easily do what you need in the $200~300 range ... all the way up to $1000+. Heh.

    Mini / Booksize Systems

    Just make sure you look at their spec thoroughly, as some of those are barebone systems.

    (That Lenovo is probably a more powerful box, but remember, it's going to sound like a desktop ... ;))

    ~C


    Sounding and looking like a desktop are fine, as hearing the computer over a TV show is unlikely.
    How is the AMD E350? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130567
  6. SingingThroughTheStorm said:
    Sounding and looking like a desktop are fine, as hearing the computer over a TV show is unlikely.
    How is the AMD E350? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130567


    I'd seriously hesitate to recommend that setup - if something goes wrong you most likely won't be able to get a replacement for it and you'll go through tech support hell to get there. :lol:
  7. RaspberryPi running XBMC.

    Simple. less than $75
  8. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883157058

    Will go on a shell shocker deal at 6 CST.
    If I run it through VGA to the TV, it should handle video playback fine.

    By far cheaper than everything else, and the CPU is similar to relative's
    current computer, and it comes Windows 7. Opinions?
  9. You can give something like this a shot.

    Case+PSU: APEX TM-302-3 Black/Silver Steel MicroATX Mid Tower + 300W PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154052
    $39.99

    HDD: HITACHI 500GB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299
    $79.99

    Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 Micro ATX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157277
    $58.99

    CPU+GPU: AMD A4-3300 Llana 2.5Ghz FM1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103957
    $64.99

    Ram: Patriot Signature 4GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480
    $18.99

    CD/DVD Burner: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240
    $15.99


    Total: 278.94 Before Tax.

    This build really keeps the price in mind...
  10. madreag said:
    You can give something like this a shot.

    Case+PSU: APEX TM-302-3 Black/Silver Steel MicroATX Mid Tower + 300W PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154052
    $39.99

    HDD: HITACHI 500GB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299
    $79.99

    Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 Micro ATX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157277
    $58.99

    CPU+GPU: AMD A4-3300 Llana 2.5Ghz FM1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103957
    $64.99

    Ram: Patriot Signature 4GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220480
    $18.99

    CD/DVD Burner: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240
    $15.99


    Total: 278.94 Before Tax.

    This build really keeps the price in mind...


    I pieced together a similar machine, but the price of Windows 7 puts that way out of the price range.
    That PC that will go on shell shocker would just need a few upgrades and it would actually be pretty decent.
    Upgrade 1GB to 4GB, and possibly add a discrete video card. The Intel Dual core CPU in it seems good also when it is very similar to my relative's current Emachines desktop.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Netflix Systems Product