Black screen upon installing GPU and Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

billnye

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello, I recently decided to add a EVGA gtx 550 ti card into my Dell Inspiron 570. I put the card into the Pci Exress slot which was empty(came with integrated) and then I also switched my psu which was 300W to a 550 plus from Antec. I plugged in each wire including a 6 pin labeled "PCI Express" from my psu to my 550 ti. So I plugged everything back into my Inspiron and turned it on. My monitor noted that the vga plug was indeed connected into the computer but there was just a black screen, no bios, nothing.

I thought that perhaps some wires from my psu to my HD, mobo etc. were loose and opened up my case and made sure each wire was in place correctly.

When this did not work I decided to just take out my 550 ti gpu and also switch my new Antec 550 W with my old 300 W psu. When I did this my computer turned on normally no problems except for "recent changes" error message which was resolved by restarting my comp.

So, now I am confused as to why I got the blank screen. Was it the Antec psu or the new graphics card? Also my gpu has on the side 2 vga slots but I plugged my monitor to the vga slot on the back of my computer, like it always was. Myabe that had something to do with it? I dont know. HELP!!!!!

Solution
Make sure the monitor cables are on to the card not the motherboard, because if it is to the motherboard that means the monitor is only getting graphics data from the motherboard, not the GPU.

Hmmm, maybe

So, now I am confused as to why I got the blank screen. Was it the Antec psu or the new graphics card? Also my gpu has on the side 2 vga slots but I plugged my monitor to the vga slot on the back of my computer, like it always was. Myabe that had something to do with it? I dont know. HELP!!!!!

Umm...yeah, if your NOT plugging the monitor into the video card, your not going to get video from the video card............one would think this is common sense, apparently not.

VGA? Your still using VGA? What monitor do you have?

Howardp6 and Refillable, it really pays to actually read the post before replying to it....LOL

billnye

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. Just want to say that I just ended up plugging the monitor into the video card slot and it worked, like half a hour after i asked this question.....hehe

Guess I got used to the idea that the monitor always gets plugged into the mobo since I've been using an integrated card for ages ;)

Computers don't seem so scary anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.