Sign in with
Your question

Need some help troubleshooting

Last response: in Components
June 7, 2012 12:10:52 AM

So i just recently did an RMA on my motherboard because i thought it was the cause of the crashing issue that I have. or at least i was praying it was... but it wasn't...

I5-2500k
8gb GSkill Ram
z68 Extreme4 MB
750w Corsair PSU

Ill attach a picture showing what i mean but the computer just freezes with pixel squares i guess you could say all over the screen... from day 1 it was freezing but it seems to be getting worse the more i try to fix it...

it wouldn't boot after i re installed everything in the case so i attempted to re install a fresh copy of windows... and it cant even make it through that process

As i said i did an RMA to the motherboard and its updated to the latest bios... was tested at the facility so lets assume its not the issue...

i have tried generic PNY 4gb ram from BestBuy as well as the GSkill ram i purchased with the computer... no difference...

one stick at a time for all 3 sticks i have tried... so unless i got 3 bad ones in a row... which is possible with my luck it seems...

in the bios screen the computer recognizes the 8gb in dual channel mode... so by that i'm assuming that that's not the issue...

i have tried it with a hd 6950 GPU installed and with just onboard graphics... no difference...

overheating is not an issue as i cant even get it started anymore...

PSU has more than enough power to run everything especially with just onboard graphics...

----------

All i can think of now is the Hard Drive being faulty but i'm not sure if this would be the issues you would have if that was the case.

Funds are just a little tight atm so i just wanted to be sure before i start buying stuff to try and fix it

This one is what happened before RMA when i was running memtest

More about : troubleshooting

a c 137 V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 12:32:53 AM

The pictures tell me that it SHOULD be the GPU, but it obviously isn't. I don't really know what to tell you because you've done pretty much everything I could think of to tell you to try, but I'm gonna follow this thread to see what the issue ultimately is.

I wouldn't think the HDD would cause that (shouldn't), but stranger things have happened, I guess. May still be a PSU issue too, though, but once again, it shouldn't be. If you have another one to try, do that too, just to be sure.

m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 12:34:25 AM

Edit: Couldn't be what I had posted in this reply. I had posted maybe the monitor, but that wouldn't cause the system to freeze, obviously.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 1:07:23 AM

Let me just throw out some ideas and questions. Some of these questions may offend you, but I don't know you or your experience and they have to be asked.

Did you move the monitor cable physically to the correct device when you switched from one to the other?

Have you tried switching the monitor cable?

What case are you using? Did you install the motherboard standoffs correctly with no extra standoffs in improper locations?

Have you tried a different PSU? The amount of power has no bearing on this. The QUALITY of power coming from the unit could be an issue. Which 750W Corsair is this? TX? Original or V2? New or old?

Your descriptions of RAM used are not enough. Please supply exact model numbers.

Breadboarding:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

If none of that helps then I suspect the CPU is the problem, but only after we work through all this.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 1:09:02 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Edit: Couldn't be what I had posted in this reply. I had posted maybe the monitor, but that wouldn't cause the system to freeze, obviously.

A bad DVI or Display port cable could cause all sorts of mischief.
m
l
June 7, 2012 2:08:20 AM

Was using a dvi cable... just tried using a HDMI cable i had recently bought while waiting for the RMA...

Installed windows fine... froze with yellow squares again at the enter product key screen

HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) Professional Series Corsair 750W Silver

Carbide Series Corsair Tower ATX... Looked on back of case and the holes lined up with the screws and there were no other holes so without taking it all apart again to verify im pretty sure there are no extra standoffs

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I bought all the parts in Dec of 2011... the freezing started from day 1 but only when playing games...

the problem stopped for awhile after underclocking the GPU from 850mhz to 800mhz

i tried to determine if the GPU was the problem by taking it out and running on on board graphics but the problem persisted

Here are some other random pics i took before RMA

This last one is while running Prime95... and i know it says 127C on some of em but i looked into it and it seems this is an issue with HWM and it happens alot... on the AXTU screen all temps were normal

m
l
June 7, 2012 2:45:00 AM

O and i dont have another PSU to try so i would have to purchase one or wait for an RMA again

What would be an acceptable wattage to just troubleshoot the problem without a GPU installed... aka will return after trying it and request RMA of my 750W one
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 6:32:39 AM

phantasyhax said:

the problem stopped for awhile after underclocking the GPU from 850mhz to 800mhz

Sounds to me like your PSU is gradually going south. Perhaps wild ripple or V droop that has gotten worse. These things would not have to show up on your software.

Have you had any instances of the computer refusing to POST at all?
That's a CWT-built hybrid modular... I have seen the 24-pin connector fail on the CWT-built 750TX. Could it be loose?

My second guess would be the CPU, but it seems less likely given the above statement.

You could also get a multimeter on those rails under load... see where the actual voltages are. That would not rule out the PSU, but might confirm it.

m
l
June 7, 2012 10:58:31 PM

Alright i decided to just bring in the Tower when i went to best buy to get a new PSU to test it out and when they plugged it in to their setup everything ran fine...

that being said i have changed my surge protector to a brand new one and that seems to have stopped the random freezing with the colored boxes...

after reinstalling my GPU however the freezing began again when trying to play games...

after underclocking it to 780Mhz from 850Mhz the problem again went away...

so recapping bad surge protector was causing the weird freezing issue

and im gonna RMA the GPU as it seems to be faulty as well
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 6:30:57 AM

It would be quite possible for a PSU to operate OK at one location and fail at another. If you have bad power from the wall, it would explain all this. A surge protector would not fix that.
m
l
June 8, 2012 2:14:20 PM

i appreciate all your help on this topic

But i'm back to square one... keeps freezing with card in and out now again...

Id say ya its bad power but it did this at college dorms... and here... only place is didn't was at best buy

but like i said the computer stopped doing the weird squares freezing back to the original white screen tearing

http://s19.postimage.org/3uoxar73j/2012_05_13_13_52_00....

not sure if thats a good thing or bad...

getting so frustrated...
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:58:36 PM

just bought a new HDD and power supply trying the HDD first and if it crashes then ill try the PSU...

crosses fingers
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 6:29:59 PM

Corsair has excellent support for those PSUs you know :) 
m
l
June 8, 2012 10:12:46 PM

ok update...

installed new HDD fresh copy of windows... froze...

put new PSU in GS600 Corsair best one they had... froze...

put an old HD4670 GPU in just for shits... froze...

taking it to a repair place tomorrow morning to try a different processor before i spend a ton on a new one... hopefully that solves it...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2012 6:18:26 AM

Seems like that's all you have left. It doesn't quite fit all the things you have described, but must be the culprit for most of it.
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:03:08 PM

well took it to a local computer store.. guy seemed to know his stuff... but just got it back and he said that he tried an I3 in it and it didnt freeze anymore... but when i went to check if he re installed my CPU it still had the thermal paste i used to put it back in before i took it to him...

so im thinking he didn't do anything...

so i don't know if i should just buy a new cpu and hope that's what it is or what to do...

my luck is unbelievable...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 10:36:37 PM

Get your story straight and call Intel support, get an RMA. While you wait grab an i3 or some such. You won't actually see a huge difference in performance anyway. Check your private messages also.
m
l
July 12, 2012 2:49:07 PM

So just posting an update

Did an RMA on the motherboard... problem still occurs

Did an RMA on the CPU problem still occurs

Tried turning Intel Speedstep off after doing some googleing on power states and PSU that are not compatible with Speedstep... still occurs

Tried turning off C states in bios due again to research... pending

am currently running Prime95 has been going for almost an hour so far will continue to let it run

EDIT: froze again

reset CMOS and now im stuck again...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 8:01:00 PM

I've never seen RAM do this, but that's pretty much the only part you haven't tried. Have you tried running with just one stick?
m
l
!