jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I am trying, very patiently, to install the hyper 212 EVO. I've been trying for about 4 hours.

I have the backplate on and apply thermal grease. When I try mounting it, the little metal spreader that is supposed to go into the stands NEVER lines up with the screws in the holes. No matter how I spread it, it doesn't seem to work.

Worse yet, I always wind up accidentally lifting it while trying to adjust the spreader, which means I have to re-apply the thermal paste. I am running out of thermal paste.

Is there some special way to align it? It really seems impossible and it's driving me so crazy that I'm shaking from nervousness.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Take a breath and relax. You don't need to re-apply the thermal every time you lift the cooler. It is suppose to spread anyway. After the thermal gets warm, it will simply fill in the microscopic pores in the metal. So, relax about that.

Do you have the instructions handy? You don't mention which motherboard/socket you are installing it on, but you need to lift/position/reinsert the screws into the correct portion of the 3-hole slot. With the scissor-like top bracket centered over the heatsync of the cooler, just open-close the bracket until the screws line up with the stand-offs.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I am doing socket LGA 1155. I have the backplate on correctly and the stands. My problem is the scissor bracket. No matter how I configure it, it does NOT fit the stands. There is no doubt about it. I don't know what to do. No matter WHAT it won't fit.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Yes, the instructions are useless. I've tried videos, guides, turning the bracket this way and that.

I also find it ridiculous that the bracket has to sit loose on the heat sink until you get it into place. All wobbly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Honestly, installing my 212 Evo was one of the easiest things I've ever done. Took me less than 10 minutes to have it completely installed and the mobo back in the case.

Anyway, the bracket should be in the nice square "X" position with the screws in the middle of the adjustment holes (or the 2nd out of the 3). If it doesn't fit right then, I don't know what to tell you.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
That's how I have it, as a square. I even tried lining it up without the heatsink, and no matter which way I turn it, it will line up two of the screws and completely miss the other 2 on the other side.

Am I supposed to do something with that middle push pin besides line it up in the shallow hold at the bottom of the heat sink?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I found the 'instructions' quite informative.
Why don't you clean off the thermal from both surfaces and try a dry run instead of wasting all your grease. I'm sure you are just missing something simple. Hoards of folks use that cooler and I've never heard anyone have problems. I'm not trying to belittle you, I just mean that sometimes a person needs to step back, put it away, and try later.

One thing you may want to look into; take the scissor bracket off the cooler and lay it out on the stand-offs untill you get the correct match.

It should just line up correctly. I really don't get why it's not. As for the pin, it just needs line up with the hole. What do you mean about not lining up? The screws on one side are totally off, like nowhere near the holes, or are they just up too high?

And I completely agree with trying a dry run.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
OK guys I'm back, I just cleaned the thermal paste and still doesn't line up. I really feel dumb right now.

The thing that is making me have a nervous breakdown is the thermal paste...I'm using 90% iso alcohol and I'm freaking out about leaving and remnants on the chip spreader or getting dried paste onto the actual chip, even a little.

I'm being very very careful but I do not know how clean is clean, as I seem to be taking some of the finish off of the chip's heat spreader as well.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
IMG_1110.jpg

Here you can see I put it in the orientation according to how the manual says (the way I'm going to mount the heatsink, anyway)

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

As you can see, the two holes in the back line up, but not the other two.

And yeah, if it's something painfully easy I'm doing wrong, I know. Trust me, I'm the last person that should be doing this.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I'm mounting it so the fan blows out the back, I have no top fans in my case, if that's what you mean.

But how am I supposed to make the other two screws fit in? I really have avoided trying to "force" anything for obvious reasons. I'm very very very paranoid about wrecking my CPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

+1^
Good point. I just remembered I had a momentary head scratching when first installing mine. I just scissored it the other way and it fit.