Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Causing Computer to Freeze.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2011 4:06:18 PM

I have a desktop that i built last April. I bought all the pieces off newegg.
-Windows XP
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
-Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333(Really Cheap So this might be it)
-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
-Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

It froze and then restarted itself after about 3 weeks of getting the computer. But later i read some forums and did somethings and it started to work. It worked for about 7 months perfectly. But it started having the problem again. When I did the things i did before the problem still proceeded. But i just switched out the graphics card for another one, one that did not need the power supply to be hooked up to it directly (don't kn ow if that has anything to do with it) so im guessing it took far more power to run than this one and is didn't freeze at all. So i know its the graphics card. The idle Temps on it are about 26 degrees C. gets up to about 30-35 when i'm playing a game. Do i have to get a new graphics card or is there something i can do to fix this.
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 9:19:52 PM

A few questions, Have you updated the drivers? What are you using to monitor the temps with? I am asuming that the other card worked after you installed it. How long of it being on does it freeze and how offten does it do it? It does sound like it is your gpu. I just want ot make sure.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 9:43:14 PM

It is not necessarily the GPU though it is certainly suspect. The motherboard may the issue. I have had dramas with Gigabyte boards randomly freezing and dropping communication with the HDD.
m
l
December 22, 2011 3:41:57 AM

DM186 said:
A few questions, Have you updated the drivers? What are you using to monitor the temps with? I am asuming that the other card worked after you installed it. How long of it being on does it freeze and how offten does it do it? It does sound like it is your gpu. I just want ot make sure.

Yes the drivers are updated. CPUID is what i'm using for temp information. Yes the other cared worked after i installed it. And it used to not freeze unless i was playing a game or watching a video but now when i try to open up steam it does it .
m
l
!