Up and down arrows on Taskbar for open programs?

Hello,

For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar when I
open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the taskbar to see all
of the open items. I'd like to get those back - thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about arrows taskbar open programs

    Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
    ? Group similar taskbar buttons

    [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in the same
    area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded with
    buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain width, then
    the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a single button.
    Clicking the button lets you access the document you want. Right-clicking
    the button lets you close all the documents you want.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello,
    >
    > For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar
    > when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the
    > taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those back -
    > thanks!

    Thanks - actually what I want is the up and down arrows on the far right
    near the clock - when you open lots of documents and apps. Not grouping
    but when their are multiple lines to the taskbar.

    > Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
    > ? Group similar taskbar buttons
    >
    > [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in the
    > same
    > area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded with
    > buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain width, then
    > the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a single button.
    > Clicking the button lets you access the document you want. Right-clicking
    > the button lets you close all the documents you want.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar
    >> when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the
    >> taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those back -
    >> thanks!

    Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
    ? Hide inactive icons

    [[Keeps the taskbar notification area from displaying unused icons.]]

    Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
    Customize button |
    In the Name column, click the notification you want to change, in the
    Behavior column, click the behavior you want in the list, and then click OK.
    On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.

    notification area
    [[The area on the taskbar to the right of the taskbar buttons. The
    notification area displays the time and can also contain shortcuts that
    provide quick access to programs, such as Volume Control and Power Options.
    Other shortcuts can appear temporarily, providing information about the
    status of activities. For example, the printer shortcut icon appears after a
    document has been sent to the printer and disappears when printing is
    complete.]]

    taskbar
    [[The bar that contains the Start button and appears by default at the
    bottom of the desktop. You can click the taskbar buttons to switch between
    programs. You can also hide the taskbar, move it to the sides or top of the
    desktop, and customize it in other ways.]]

    taskbar button
    [[A button that appears on the taskbar and corresponds to a running
    application.]]

    [[When many document and program windows are open, taskbar grouping creates
    more available space on the taskbar. For example, if you have 10 windows
    open and three of them are Wordpad documents, the three Wordpad document
    taskbar buttons will group together into one button named "Wordpad." Click
    this button and then click one of the documents to view it.

    To reduce taskbar clutter, icons in the notification area (next to the
    clock) are hidden from view when they haven't been used in a while. If an
    icon becomes hidden, click the arrow (‹) to temporarily display the hidden
    icons. If you click one of these icons, it is displayed again. ]]

    [[Taskbar button grouping overviewThe taskbar can become crowded with
    buttons when you are working with multiple programs at the same time. For
    this reason, Windows provides a feature to help you manage a large number of
    open documents and program items.

    The taskbar button grouping feature works in two ways. First, taskbar
    buttons for documents opened by the same program are always displayed in the
    same area of the taskbar so you can find your documents easily.

    Second, if you have many documents open in the same program, Windows
    combines all the documents into one taskbar button that is labeled with the
    name of the program. A triangle on the right side of the button indicates
    that many documents are open in this program. The single button provides
    access to all the open documents.

    To access one of the open documents, click the triangle on the taskbar
    button, and then click a document name in the list. To act on all the open
    documents at the same time, use the right-click menu. For example,
    right-clicking the triangle gives you a menu that lets you close all the
    open documents.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23sikS7cpEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    boe <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks - actually what I want is the up and down arrows on the far
    > right near the clock - when you open lots of documents and apps.
    > Not grouping but when their are multiple lines to the taskbar.

    >> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
    >> ? Group similar taskbar buttons
    >>
    >> [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in
    >> the same
    >> area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded
    >> with buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain
    >> width, then the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a
    >> single button. Clicking the button lets you access the document you
    >> want. Right-clicking the button lets you close all the documents you
    >> want.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my
    >>> taskbar when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up
    >>> the taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those
    >>> back - thanks!

    I'm familiar with what grouping does. I don't want to turn grouping on. I
    want to make it so that the up and down arrows come back when I have many
    items open. Right now the only way to see all the items is to lift up the
    taskbar.

    "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote
    | I'm familiar with what grouping does. I don't want to turn grouping on. I
    | want to make it so that the up and down arrows come back when I have many
    | items open. Right now the only way to see all the items is to lift up the
    | taskbar.

    If turning grouping off does not help, then try

Configuration Taskbar Microsoft Customization Windows XP