Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Up and down arrows on Taskbar for open programs?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 28, 2004 5:30:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello,

For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar when I
open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the taskbar to see all
of the open items. I'd like to get those back - thanks!
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 10:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
? Group similar taskbar buttons

[[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in the same
area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded with
buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain width, then
the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a single button.
Clicking the button lets you access the document you want. Right-clicking
the button lets you close all the documents you want.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
>
> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar
> when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the
> taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those back -
> thanks!
September 28, 2004 11:48:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks - actually what I want is the up and down arrows on the far right
near the clock - when you open lots of documents and apps. Not grouping
but when their are multiple lines to the taskbar.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23xwRl3bpEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
> ? Group similar taskbar buttons
>
> [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in the
> same
> area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded with
> buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain width, then
> the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a single button.
> Clicking the button lets you access the document you want. Right-clicking
> the button lets you close all the documents you want.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my taskbar
>> when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up the
>> taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those back -
>> thanks!
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
? Hide inactive icons

[[Keeps the taskbar notification area from displaying unused icons.]]

Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
Customize button |
In the Name column, click the notification you want to change, in the
Behavior column, click the behavior you want in the list, and then click OK.
On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.

notification area
[[The area on the taskbar to the right of the taskbar buttons. The
notification area displays the time and can also contain shortcuts that
provide quick access to programs, such as Volume Control and Power Options.
Other shortcuts can appear temporarily, providing information about the
status of activities. For example, the printer shortcut icon appears after a
document has been sent to the printer and disappears when printing is
complete.]]

taskbar
[[The bar that contains the Start button and appears by default at the
bottom of the desktop. You can click the taskbar buttons to switch between
programs. You can also hide the taskbar, move it to the sides or top of the
desktop, and customize it in other ways.]]

taskbar button
[[A button that appears on the taskbar and corresponds to a running
application.]]

[[When many document and program windows are open, taskbar grouping creates
more available space on the taskbar. For example, if you have 10 windows
open and three of them are Wordpad documents, the three Wordpad document
taskbar buttons will group together into one button named "Wordpad." Click
this button and then click one of the documents to view it.

To reduce taskbar clutter, icons in the notification area (next to the
clock) are hidden from view when they haven't been used in a while. If an
icon becomes hidden, click the arrow (‹) to temporarily display the hidden
icons. If you click one of these icons, it is displayed again. ]]

[[Taskbar button grouping overviewThe taskbar can become crowded with
buttons when you are working with multiple programs at the same time. For
this reason, Windows provides a feature to help you manage a large number of
open documents and program items.

The taskbar button grouping feature works in two ways. First, taskbar
buttons for documents opened by the same program are always displayed in the
same area of the taskbar so you can find your documents easily.

Second, if you have many documents open in the same program, Windows
combines all the documents into one taskbar button that is labeled with the
name of the program. A triangle on the right side of the button indicates
that many documents are open in this program. The single button provides
access to all the open documents.

To access one of the open documents, click the triangle on the taskbar
button, and then click a document name in the list. To act on all the open
documents at the same time, use the right-click menu. For example,
right-clicking the triangle gives you a menu that lets you close all the
open documents.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23sikS7cpEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
boe <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks - actually what I want is the up and down arrows on the far
> right near the clock - when you open lots of documents and apps.
> Not grouping but when their are multiple lines to the taskbar.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:%23xwRl3bpEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
>> ? Group similar taskbar buttons
>>
>> [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in
>> the same
>> area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded
>> with buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain
>> width, then the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a
>> single button. Clicking the button lets you access the document you
>> want. Right-clicking the button lets you close all the documents you
>> want.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my
>>> taskbar when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up
>>> the taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those
>>> back - thanks!
September 29, 2004 10:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I'm familiar with what grouping does. I don't want to turn grouping on. I
want to make it so that the up and down arrows come back when I have many
items open. Right now the only way to see all the items is to lift up the
taskbar.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23%23HXzLdpEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
> ? Hide inactive icons
>
> [[Keeps the taskbar notification area from displaying unused icons.]]
>
> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
> Customize button |
> In the Name column, click the notification you want to change, in the
> Behavior column, click the behavior you want in the list, and then click
> OK.
> On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.
>
> notification area
> [[The area on the taskbar to the right of the taskbar buttons. The
> notification area displays the time and can also contain shortcuts that
> provide quick access to programs, such as Volume Control and Power
> Options.
> Other shortcuts can appear temporarily, providing information about the
> status of activities. For example, the printer shortcut icon appears after
> a
> document has been sent to the printer and disappears when printing is
> complete.]]
>
> taskbar
> [[The bar that contains the Start button and appears by default at the
> bottom of the desktop. You can click the taskbar buttons to switch between
> programs. You can also hide the taskbar, move it to the sides or top of
> the
> desktop, and customize it in other ways.]]
>
> taskbar button
> [[A button that appears on the taskbar and corresponds to a running
> application.]]
>
> [[When many document and program windows are open, taskbar grouping
> creates
> more available space on the taskbar. For example, if you have 10 windows
> open and three of them are Wordpad documents, the three Wordpad document
> taskbar buttons will group together into one button named "Wordpad." Click
> this button and then click one of the documents to view it.
>
> To reduce taskbar clutter, icons in the notification area (next to the
> clock) are hidden from view when they haven't been used in a while. If an
> icon becomes hidden, click the arrow (‹) to temporarily display the hidden
> icons. If you click one of these icons, it is displayed again. ]]
>
> [[Taskbar button grouping overviewThe taskbar can become crowded with
> buttons when you are working with multiple programs at the same time. For
> this reason, Windows provides a feature to help you manage a large number
> of
> open documents and program items.
>
> The taskbar button grouping feature works in two ways. First, taskbar
> buttons for documents opened by the same program are always displayed in
> the
> same area of the taskbar so you can find your documents easily.
>
> Second, if you have many documents open in the same program, Windows
> combines all the documents into one taskbar button that is labeled with
> the
> name of the program. A triangle on the right side of the button indicates
> that many documents are open in this program. The single button provides
> access to all the open documents.
>
> To access one of the open documents, click the triangle on the taskbar
> button, and then click a document name in the list. To act on all the open
> documents at the same time, use the right-click menu. For example,
> right-clicking the triangle gives you a menu that lets you close all the
> open documents.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:%23sikS7cpEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> boe <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Thanks - actually what I want is the up and down arrows on the far
>> right near the clock - when you open lots of documents and apps.
>> Not grouping but when their are multiple lines to the taskbar.
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:%23xwRl3bpEHA.3524@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab |
>>> ? Group similar taskbar buttons
>>>
>>> [[Displays taskbar buttons for files opened by the same program in
>>> the same
>>> area of the taskbar. In addition, if the taskbar becomes so crowded
>>> with buttons that the width of the buttons shrinks beyond a certain
>>> width, then the buttons for the same program are collapsed into a
>>> single button. Clicking the button lets you access the document you
>>> want. Right-clicking the button lets you close all the documents you
>>> want.]]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:uLF4$nZpEHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my
>>>> taskbar when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up
>>>> the taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those
>>>> back - thanks!
>
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:45:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote
| I'm familiar with what grouping does. I don't want to turn grouping on. I
| want to make it so that the up and down arrows come back when I have many
| items open. Right now the only way to see all the items is to lift up the
| taskbar.
|
| >>> boe <boe_d@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
| >>>> For some reason, I no longer get the up and down arrows on my
| >>>> taskbar when I open many programs and documents. I have to lift up
| >>>> the taskbar to see all of the open items. I'd like to get those
| >>>> back - thanks!

If turning grouping off does not help, then try
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
!