Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD 6970 runs at a constant 95-99% load in SW:TOR... is this safe?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2011 4:25:45 PM

I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic on a new machine with an XFX 2GB 6970. All graphics settings in SW:TOR are maxed out. I have the fan profile set to mildly-aggressive cooling via MSI afterburner and I have the Afternurner info set to output to my Logitech G15 keyboard. Whenever actual gameplay is taking place in TOR (i.e. not cut-scenes, dialog, etc.), the card is under a 95-99% load. Card temps range from 62*C to 68*C. No overclocking whatsoever.

My question is this: SW:TOR isn't supposed to be a particularly demanding game. Running BF3 on high-max settings, I get similar loads and temperatures. Is it safe to run the card at these loads for several hours? And is this normal, considering the somewhat WoW-like graphics SW:TOR has?

FYI, I'm using the latest set of AMD drivers.

Best solution

a c 84 U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 4:38:49 PM

your temps are excellent so there's no harm done on the gpu. High load level isn't harmfull itself, it just shows the card is not being bottlenecked by anything else in the system and thus can use all the graphics horsepower it has.
Though if you are getting fps over 60 and enable vsync which will limit the fps to 60, the load on the gpu should go down somewhat depending how high the fps originally is...
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 4:56:50 PM

Kari said:
your temps are excellent so there's no harm done on the gpu. High load level isn't harmfull itself, it just shows the card is not being bottlenecked by anything else in the system and thus can use all the graphics horsepower it has.
Though if you are getting fps over 60 and enable vsync which will limit the fps to 60, the load on the gpu should go down somewhat depending how high the fps originally is...

+1
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2011 4:58:11 PM

Yea load has never been a bad thing. Temps past 90C are bad.

Even then lets say something happens..you still have the warranty.
Score
December 21, 2011 5:03:12 PM

Best answer selected by skyyr.
Score
!