Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Amd phenom ii x4 810 socket am2 replace to ...

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 7, 2012 3:21:52 AM

I broke the leg of cpu phenom ii x4 810 socket am2. Now I am trying to find out the new cpu to replace it. I think to upgrade it. My computer is Gateway DX-4300-22. Can I upgrade it or I need to buy only same, because company policy like Gateway don't let customer to upgrade the computer; "only buy new one"?
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 11:07:02 AM

While your motherboard is AM2, it can take in AM3 processors. However, the information about your motherboard is very lacking such that we do not know whether other AM3 Phenom II processor is recognized by the BIOS so it will be a gamble.

If you have a friend who have an AM3 processor, perhaps he can lend you for a day so that you can try ( just don't break a anything again ).

Edit: And stop dealing with Gateway for your future computer needs.
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:18:03 AM

randomkid said:
While your motherboard is AM2, it can take in AM3 processors. However, the information about your motherboard is very lacking such that we do not know whether other AM3 Phenom II processor is recognized by the BIOS so it will be a gamble.

If you have a friend who have an AM3 processor, perhaps he can lend you for a day so that you can try ( just don't break a anything again ).

Edit: And stop dealing with Gateway for your future computer needs.


I’ve broke the leg of CPU amd phenom ii 810. My motherboard’s socket is AM2. I don’t know what is way better. On one hand AMD stopped the production of the Phenom ii and want replace it to FX. But FX requires the socket AM3+. So I have to decide; trying to find out the used Phenom ii for $20-$30 (I don’t want spend $100 for old version) or change the CPU, motherboard and DDR3 (mine DDR2). I can’ t find out cheap Phenom ii for a while and I have not so much money to change complex. Give me some advice; keep looking for a cheap processor and collect money for a new set or there is another option?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 377 à CPUs
June 16, 2012 12:45:11 AM

This 'leg' you broke. Do you mean you broke a pin off of the CPU?
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 7:29:01 AM

clutchc said:
This 'leg' you broke. Do you mean you broke a pin off of the CPU?

Yes
m
0
l
a c 377 à CPUs
June 16, 2012 5:30:28 PM

Be sure the pin isn't still in the socket hole.
If this is your motherboard, you have an AM2+ socket and a board that limits you to 95W AMD processors.
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4...

So any Phenom II X4 processor that is rated at 95W should work. I'm assuming the computer is long out of warranty, so there's no need to worry about Gateway's requirements. You can drop in any processor your board can handle. You may need to upgrade your BIOS if you get one that is too "modern". ;)  But if it was running the 810, you must have a recent BIOS already.
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 5:03:20 AM

clutchc said:
Be sure the pin isn't still in the socket hole.
If this is your motherboard, you have an AM2+ socket and a board that limits you to 95W AMD processors.
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4...

So any Phenom II X4 processor that is rated at 95W should work. I'm assuming the computer is long out of warranty, so there's no need to worry about Gateway's requirements. You can drop in any processor your board can handle. You may need to upgrade your BIOS if you get one that is too "modern". ;)  But if it was running the 810, you must have a recent BIOS already.


How do you know a board limits to 95W AMD processor?
m
0
l
a c 377 à CPUs
June 18, 2012 2:55:24 PM

tika99 said:
How do you know a board limits to 95W AMD processor?

The specs page says "Processor Support Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors"

So, I assuming that is the maximum wattage the board is designed to safely handle.
m
0
l
June 21, 2012 6:23:34 AM

I'm several day a few day hunting to CPU and payed attention some people sell broken CPU (broken 1-2 pins like mine) and somebody bought it. What is mean? The pin can be atteched to its place, is it?
m
0
l
a c 377 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 5:50:45 PM

I have no idea why someone would want it. I wouldn't.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:30:01 AM

If I change from AMD to Intel what kind of part of computer I need to buy? (exept motherboard and CPU) How much is it about?
m
0
l
a c 377 à CPUs
June 27, 2012 3:35:17 PM

The Motherboard, processor, and probably the memory* would have to be replaced. If your system is older and has a PATA/IDE (ribbon cable) hard drive and/or DVD, you will need to look for a board that has a IDE/PATA header... or replace the HDD and DVD with a newer SATA model(s).

* I'm assuming the Gateway came with DDR2 memory. Most new boards today use DDR3 memory. They are not interchangeable.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 27, 2012 3:55:38 PM

Some cpus do continue to work with one or more pins working and some are unused as it is so give it a chance.
Share
July 3, 2012 1:27:09 AM

I bought the processor Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 Ghz for $18 and put in my computer. The speed is much more less than I had, basic score is 5.0 because of grafics. How can I impove it? Does verclock the processor solve this problem? Or something better one?
m
0
l
July 8, 2012 11:08:55 PM

Best answer selected by tika99.
m
0
l
July 8, 2012 11:26:47 PM

Thank nforce4max for you sugestion. Unfortunatelly when processore jumped from socket several pins was wrapped. I am tried to staighten themand I broke one of them. I think it can not work but it is not true. After nforce4max suggestion I staghtened all curve pins (it was taken several hours), put CPU back in its place and computer work (for this time). It is pity I lost $18.
By the way, somebody can explain why index of cpu leave same (base score is 5.0).
m
0
l
!