new digital camera suggestion

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 30, 2005 10:49:11 AM

I am looking for a new digital camera. Something that can produce
results comparable to an Olympus OM1. Have been looking at the Nikon
7900 but someone may have a better idea. Must be a
compact type
Not essential but would also like to try Macro and or Panoramic
If possible a high asa equal
Zoom would be good too.
Have also looked at the Olympus ones with a high optical zoom but they
seem to have a low mp.........

Thanks for any ideas
Smokeyone
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 12:26:34 PM

Hi, I own an Olympus C770 - It is 4 mega pixel, enough unless you want
to print extremely large posters. It's compact, can do fantastic super
macro down as close as 3 cms and panoramic - with Olympus XD card.
It's 10 x Optical Zoom and 4 times Digital Zoom give equivalent of 38 -
380 mm; although I would stick to optical zoom for best results. ISO
64 / 100 / 200 / 400. It's main drawback is shutter lag and electronic
viewfinder for action shots, sports subjects, say motor racing or air
shows because the shutter blanks off the view making it hard to track
your subject! That aside, I would recommend this camera for all other
normal use. I've had some tremendous images and seen plenty in
dpreview.com galleries. It even does Mpeg4 Video! Battery life is not
great, so you would need a couple of spares and XD card prices have
fallen steeply recently.

I have to say I'm pleased with it's all round ability and having just
bought a Nikon D70 for the things it's not so good at. But thats a lot
more to lug around with you!

I've also still got my old faithful Olympus OM 10 for film.. Still
love that old camera.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:26:04 PM

mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com wrote:
> I am looking for a new digital camera. Something that can produce
> results comparable to an Olympus OM1. Have been looking at the Nikon
> 7900 but someone may have a better idea. Must be a
> compact type
> Not essential but would also like to try Macro and or Panoramic
> If possible a high asa equal
> Zoom would be good too.
> Have also looked at the Olympus ones with a high optical zoom but they
> seem to have a low mp.........
>
> Thanks for any ideas
> Smokeyone

Check our D P Review.

- for high ISO look at a DSLR.

- for high optical zoom: Nikon 8800 Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 for starters, many
more. Look for cameras with image stabilisation.

David
!