Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sidegrading?

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2012 5:22:51 AM

Hey guys...
I have a system with a Core i7 920 in it and an Asus P6T SE. Now, I do some threaded workload stuff but I mostly game with my PC at the moment (in my sig), but is it worth pulling out my AMD mobo and CPU and replacing them with my i7 920? I could probably get the 920 to 4gHz, I'm on water, but I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort...

More about : sidegrading

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
June 7, 2012 8:47:30 AM

Honestly? Probably not.

Expect people to come in this thread screaming bloody murder, but my advice is to invest in a pair of ear plugs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1210060/fx8120-vs-2500k-benc...

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-perfor...
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
June 7, 2012 1:11:56 PM

It would be a waste of effort. There is nothing out there that your AMD rig can't play on highest settings, even if the I7 overclocked adds a frame here and there.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 7, 2012 2:54:43 PM

Seriously? Keep the money and do nothing with it.
If you don't feel like something is holding it back, then just save the money and go have a fun weekend :D 
m
l
June 8, 2012 1:39:14 AM

username-taken said:
Seriously? Keep the money and do nothing with it.
If you don't feel like something is holding it back, then just save the money and go have a fun weekend :D 

No money being spent, I already have the other parts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2012 1:47:49 AM

FtsArTek said:
Hey guys...
I have a system with a Core i7 920 in it and an Asus P6T SE. Now, I do some threaded workload stuff but I mostly game with my PC at the moment (in my sig), but is it worth pulling out my AMD mobo and CPU and replacing them with my i7 920? I could probably get the 920 to 4gHz, I'm on water, but I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort...

either way you roll your are going to be CPU capped on most games so you will not see a huge difference between the 2. obviously the intel should get a few more FPS in games with the better core performance but then again if you upgrade to windows 8 and some corrections to the scheduling issues the BD cpu have they may be on par with each other. i would probably stick with what you got and wait for haswell (EST 2013). of coarse i am one to say if it isn't broke and doesn't need an upgrade why bother.
m
l
June 9, 2012 10:08:45 PM

Best answer selected by FtsArTek.
m
l
!