Issue with new build

crispytophat

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Okay so I am going to do a slight introduction. Hello I am Crispy how are you... Okay now that thats out of the way I got an issue that I hope someone out there might know the answer to or at least steer me in the right direction. I just upgraded my pc to custom built Parts will be listed below. I have built pcs before but decided to go all out on this one. I had just finished installing my new cpu cooler after removing the stock cooler and switching it out for a antec 650 khuler. Placed my artic silver 5 on the cpu and installed cooler with no issues. hooked the psu up and started her up. all seemed fine logged into the bios to monitor her temp for 20 or s0 mins. Never went past 45C so after that test decided to boot windows. installed some drivers for video and windows and mother board. Now came the real test. I logged into my game (Startrek online) Maxed the graphics out looked beautiful. Played for about 10 mins just flying around looking at the nice display when poof everything shut down. Now im worried that my cpu had blown but it seems fine. I disconnected everything and started hooking it back up. one by one doing tests comp boots as long as my psu is not connected to the graphics card when i connect it to the graphics card it will not boot. Now since I found a start to my issue I do not know where to go from there or what even caused it. I cant tell if i fried it out by too much strain on it or if my cooler was not attached properly or if it did any damage to my motherboard or if my motherboard was the problem to begin with and fried the graphics card its all up in the air. Below is a list of equipment my system is running. if anyone might have the slightest clue on whats going on I would greatly appreciate knowing.

Here are the specs of my new rig if i could give more detail I would but I can not even get into the system right now waiting on an RMA from newegg for graphics card.

I just copied my order from newegg since I can not get into the system right now for deeper info.

Motherboard:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

PSU:
OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

CPU:
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

VGA:
SAPPHIRE 11196-00-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

If you have any questions or need more info to try and help me please ask and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for the help.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Do you have onboard video and if so try taking your card out adn using the OBV. If that runs then try a different graphic card to see if it works. If it does then it may be that your video card blew.