Sign in with
Your question

BSOD with 2 ram chips but not 1

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2012 8:53:22 AM

Hi

I bought :
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K, 3.30GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Socket 1155)
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz

And i have a vantec 600W psu and a 9800gtx+

And I now get BSOD with the 109 code randomly like when writing emails,
So not under load or anything.

I don't get BSOD's if i only have 1 ram chip in as well as if i borrowed a standard 2gb DDR3 chip from a friend

I did a memtest86 test and got no errors.

Is there anything i should check that i might have missed?

Ps I saw this
"We’re guessing the 2T command rate is the culprit, though reliance on XMP means that motherboards without this feature must be manually configured to run at the rated settings."
Is this something i have to Check?

More about : bsod ram chips

February 20, 2012 9:22:53 AM

Is the CPU overclocked? I get a similar issue, but only when overclocked. (and it is super annoying since my CPU seems to otherwise run quite high clocks at low voltage)
I also checked out fine in memtest. (and a similar vengeance kit, mine is the black low profile one though)
February 20, 2012 9:27:57 AM

I haven't OC anything as far as i know, I just installed the Stuff from the disk and looked at the OC stuff but didn't change anything.

Could it be a PSU issue?
Related resources
February 20, 2012 9:47:07 AM

I doubt it has anything to do with the PSU. It could be the memory controllers in the CPU I think, otherwise I suppose the RAM might be the problem, but it checks out in memtest for both of us.
I did not test if removing one module helped by the way.
Also, I haven't tested memtest while the CPU was overclocked, I did it earlier in relation to another problem. So i should probably get around to doing that.
I also seem to get rounding errors in Prime95 when overclocked, and changing voltage doesn't seem to help much. I ended up saying "screw it for now" and using stock speed.
I might look at things again when I get home.
February 20, 2012 10:10:43 AM

I Thought it was RAM and sent mine back, but when i got the replacement RAM the problem was still there.
!