Will this CPU bottleneck a GTX 580

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
That CPU is inferior compared to the strength of the GTX 580. Of the two, the CPU will cause your greatest limitations.

So if you want to maximize your experience with the 580, you'll want to upgrade your CPU. I think you'll want to go Intel for that.

That said, it's still a decent CPU. I'd be happy with that setup if I were you.

Bottleneck is a term I do not much like. It implies that somehow you will get reduced performance with the upgrade.

In truth, upgradeing to a GTX580 will improve your fps and improve your minimum frame rates. The only question is, by how much.

If your games are multi core enabled, (which is why you picked a 6 core amd cpu over an ivy bridge cpu in the first place) , then you will do better than you think.

If your games use the typical 2/3 cores, then you may want to rethink the amd cpu for gaming.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

I disagree with that statement. A bottleneck implies that you will not get the full performance from the graphics card due to the CPU not being fast enough.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

Oh good at last someone with some common sense. You're talking about a CPU running at 3.8Ghz wirh 6 cores. It ain't gonna bottleneck. :)