Lens retraction motor problem with Olympus C700, the saga ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 30, 2005 11:14:09 AM

I just had another failure with the lens not retracting on my Olympus
C700, that make for 3 failures in 3 years.

Normally, when the camera is turned on the lens extends and retracts on
power down. In both instances the lens would not retract and a
motor/whirring noise was heard, followed by beeping. Has anyone else
had this problem? The camera is threeyears old and three failures seems
excessive. Removing the batteries does not reset the problem.

I purchased a 5yr warranty from a Mack Camera, and they have "fixed"
the problem, but it takes a very long time to get it fixed. Olympus is
no help, since Mack is not an authorized dealer. I'm stuck... I
thought that Olympus quality was pretty good, but this is the last
Olympus I'll buy. It takes good pics, but not when it's broken!

Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like a design flaw with the
drive mechanism...

Any suggestions on a course of action?

thanx, mark
May 30, 2005 6:27:59 PM

Thanx for the reply. I'll take a look into getting one. But first I
need to get the camera working again...
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:58:25 PM

mkyprianou@ictv.com wrote:
> I just had another failure with the lens not retracting on my Olympus
> C700, that make for 3 failures in 3 years.
>
> Normally, when the camera is turned on the lens extends and retracts on
> power down. In both instances the lens would not retract and a
> motor/whirring noise was heard, followed by beeping. Has anyone else
> had this problem? The camera is threeyears old and three failures seems
> excessive. Removing the batteries does not reset the problem.
>
> I purchased a 5yr warranty from a Mack Camera, and they have "fixed"
> the problem, but it takes a very long time to get it fixed. Olympus is
> no help, since Mack is not an authorized dealer. I'm stuck... I
> thought that Olympus quality was pretty good, but this is the last
> Olympus I'll buy. It takes good pics, but not when it's broken!
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like a design flaw with the
> drive mechanism...
>
> Any suggestions on a course of action?
>
> thanx, mark

Hi Mark...

Happened to me once, but I was the author of my own
misfortune :(

Taking pics, looking through the viewfinder, and stepped
sideways just a tiny bit - just enough to tap the side of
the lens on a tent pole.

Caused one of the ball bearings to slip out of the spiral
groove(s) in the lens barrel(s)

Found what I think is the perfect solution. Bought one of
Oly's extender tubes. Screws into the camera base, and
extends just past where the front of the lens is when it's
extended. Protects both the side and the front. Great.

Only downside is that the camera's bigger when transported,
and you have to buy a new lens cap.

Think it's a cla-4 - you should find them on ebay for not
too many bucks. Worthwhile, because of the grand kids
(now at the awkward lanky age) still uses the camera. :)

Take care.

Ken
!