New Gaming Computer Shuts Off Instantly?

helpneeded85

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Im not sure if I should post this here or Prebuilt because I personally didn't assemble the machine I bought it from a company that builds a computer to your specifications instead. (magicmicro).

I ordered the computer and it got here friday (feb 17th) and the first thing I noticed was they sent me a different motherboard and CPU then from what I had ordered. Their website says if they run out of stock of an item they will upgrade it to the next best thing free of charge. Well thats fine by me I guess considering the CPU and motherboard that I ordered were:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3Ghz (Six Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache

and the motherboard was:

ECS Black Series A785GM, Onboard video, GB LAN

instead they shipped my machine with:

AMX FX-8120 Bulldozer 3.1Ghz (Eight Core) 32nm, AM3+ 8MB Cache (AM3+ boards only)

and that motherboard was:

ASRock 870iCafe R2.0 AM3+, AMD 870, Cross Fire, SATA3, GB LAN

Everything else checked out to be the same (graphics cards, memory).

The total system specifications are:

Memory/RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel
PCI-Express Video Cards (2GB Memory): AMD CrossFire Radeon HD 6750 1GB x2 Quad Head, DVI, HDMI (2cards)
AMD 64 CPU Fans: Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 Fan
Hard Drives: 1000.0 GB Western Digital Green SATA2 UDMA 300 64m Cache
Optical Drive: LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Sound Card: Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Network Card: Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Case: Apevia X-plorer 2 Black & Red front USB, eSATA, LCD temp. display
Power Supply: Logisys 600W ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready
OS: (Self installed genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)
Monitor: (from walmart): Acer P186H (vga port)

There wasn't any signs of damage from shipping the machine came double boxed with plenty of foamy popcorn in the first box and the tower was secured by foam molds in the case's box.

Now my problem is when I installed my operating system and logged in every few seconds my monitor would go black (full black as if it lost power) and would come back on in a split second. (i updated all drivers and windows update and this still didn't fix it). This would increase to the point it was happening every few seconds when I opened firefox or steam to play a game.

I was trying to deal with this until Monday because the company I got the machine from are closed on the weekend. Well then thats when my other problem occurred. I was checking my email with firefox open and the machine just lost power everything cut off. I panicked a little bit and waited about 30 seconds before trying to turn it on. I smelt the vents around the case to make sure I didn't smell anything burning before hand and checked to make sure it was still plugged in.

Turning it back on - it booted right up still the same monitor issue so I opened up steam and proceeded to load the game Arma2. About 3 minutes into the game the machine turns off yet again. But this time I had a feeling it would because there was a loud sound coming from the case im not sure if it was the fan but the sound got faster and louder right before it turned off again. The sound the best I can describe was like someone had a bunch of sand or dirt in a cup and was shaking it up - if it wasn't a sound like that I can compare it to the sound of a quite grinder.

Frustrated more then ever I waited 30 seconds and tried to power the machine on. Nothing turned on! I double checked and it was still plugged in. So I flicked the switch on the back of the machine and waited 5 minutes turned it back on and tried to power the machine up. The LED lights and fan turn on but cut off again instantly not even a second after trying to turn the power on.

This all has been going on since Friday the day I got the machine it started within an hour of use. Since then I can't get the machine to keep power it cuts off instantly.

I was googling the power supply name and came up with some pretty gritty results from people saying the Logisys 600W power supply is a sham and only emits 350W of power when strained. That's really disappointing seeing as I upgraded the PSU from 450W on the website's order form thinking 600W wouldn't give me any problems.

I hope the power supply is my only problem and not the motherboard or any other crucial hardware. Would REALLY appreciate if I can get some feedback or advice as to what I can do aside from calling the company up and telling them my dilema as If I have to send the machine back it could likely be 2+ months based on other reviews before I could even get it back.

ryanthebuilder

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Im thinking its a overheating problem which is causing your rig to turn off. Usually when your cpu hits a certain high temp your motherboard's heat sensor will automatically turn off your pc to save your board and cpu from frying due to overheating. This is why your pc is turning off when you start playing games because your cpu starts to work harder thus creates more heat. Also it takes a while for your cpu to cool down once it reaches a very high temp and your motherboard wont allow you to turn on your pc because its too hot. Im guessing the company you bought your rig from and assembled it for you may have not put enough thermal paste on the cpu to keep it from overheating or your cpu fan isnt cooling your cpu enough. If thats not whats causing your pc to turn off than it is probably your psu and should just buy a reliable psu these brands are rated the best that i know of- Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic 600w.

Overview of possible cause of problem:
1. None or minimal thermal paste on processor
2.Cpu fan not cooling cpu enough
3. Faulty psu

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
If thats not whats causing your pc to turn off than it is probably your psu and should just buy a Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic 600w.
If the PSU was faulty chances are he'd smell it. If the PSU was insufficient than it would make a whining noise.

It does sound like you are overheating.

Try running without the side panel up.
Downloading this and see how high your temps are (post 'em here)

Now my problem is when I installed my operating system and logged in every few seconds my monitor would go black (full black as if it lost power) and would come back on in a split second. (i updated all drivers and windows update and this still didn't fix it). This would increase to the point it was happening every few seconds when I opened firefox or steam to play a game.
The only thing I can think of is maybe something is loose.

I ordered the computer and it got here friday (feb 17th) and the first thing I noticed was they sent me a different motherboard and CPU then from what I had ordered. Their website says if they run out of stock of an item they will upgrade it to the next best thing free of charge. Well thats fine by me I guess considering the CPU and motherboard that I ordered were:
By the by, if they gave you an inferior product, get your money back. It isn't worth dealing with companies that pull that kind of stuff.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I dont see a GPU in your specs?

Either the CPU is overheating
The GPU is overheating
or the PSU is shutting down.
Open the case make sure no wires or anything is in the way of the fans. Some times the actual fan wire will tangle in the fan and stop the fan from spinning.

If that all looks noraml try coretemp to check the temp of the CPU and afterburner to check the temp of the GPU. Set them for logging so the make a csv file with one entry every second. That way you know what the temp was of both parts at the second the computer crashes.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Ya' think it could be the monitor? Those video cards have a TDP of 86 W. ea.
This is probabably all you need to know about that PSU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Logisys-PS600A12-Power-Supply-Review/1211/7
If you read the entire review it was the 12V. regulator which blew out at 375 W load. Get rid of that PSU ASAP and get a 500W or 550W 80+ or 80+Bronze certified PSU.
Many of them will have 2 6-pin video card connectors.
Magicmicro or any builder should be avoided for putting a PSU like that in that level of computer! Especially when they are claiming the PSU is SLI and X-fire certified.
Ya' got 2 video cards for an 18.5" monitor with 1366 x 768, 5ms resolution?

G

Just want to put in my solution that worked for me, i spent about 3 hours taking my computer to pieces and then back together again, put new heat sink, tried different psu's and different power buttons.. my only option was to buy a new motherboard.. however i noticed a lithium battery on the motherboard (im not a computer wiz with hardware) so i popped it out to check it and it had a tiny tiny bit of dust on it, gave it a blow and popped it back in and viola.. computer works and i just saved myself £100~

Check lithium battery on motherboard