Upgrading computer assistance

G

Hey, I'll be replacing my computer's motherboard and cpu (which died) with a new core i3 and 1155 motherboard. I'm new in the area of computer upgrades, but I 'm fairly certain I'll be able to physically install the hardware. However, I'm not entirely sure how to install the drivers and software. I'm told that the best way is to format my old hard drive and re-install windows. Although I have a windows vista OEM disk and a windows 7 OEM upgrade disk, I don't have the product key for Vista, only for the windows 7 upgrade. Could someone describe to me the process of installing the software and drivers onto my pc with either a fresh install, or a different method?

Solution
When you reinstall, use just the windows 7 disk and the key.
That should work.
It may ask you for the Vista disk during the install process, stick that disk in the cd drive when it asks you for it.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
When you reinstall, use just the windows 7 disk and the key.
That should work.
It may ask you for the Vista disk during the install process, stick that disk in the cd drive when it asks you for it.

Solution

lozmachine

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Chances are, whoever told you to re-install windows is correct. As it will be different hardware you're using, your current installation of windows will crash upon start up because it detects different fundamental hardware.

If you have a license, you should be able to download the windows 7 install file from the microsoft website.

Using just the windows 7 upgrade disc would probably not work as a clean install as that's just an upgrade disc.

If not, use the vista disc to install then just upgrade it afterwards.

Then, the best way to get drivers is to go to the motherboards website and download the drivers from there.

Hope this helps

G

Can I install windows vista and be able to upgrade to windows 7 with no product key, though? I have one for the windows 7 upgrade, but not for vista.