Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First build of gaming system - any comments?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 20, 2012 2:09:29 PM

Hello ... noob here!

I've been researching for about a week, and I am getting closer to starting my first build. It will be my main computer, so I'll be using it for productivity (Office), CS5 (PS and Illustrator), and gaming (mostly FP shooters). But I want it to be a good gaming rig, so my budget is about 45,000 THB (1,500 USD) but I could go higher.

I am living in Thailand (not Bangkok) so I have limited access to components and the prices are higher than in the west. I may be able to get some parts ordered from Bangkok, but I prefer to see it first hand before I buy.

I don't plan to OC now, but who knows ...

So here is what I have in mind...

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advance
PSU: Corsair 850AX
MoBo: ASRock z68 extreme 3 Gen 3
CPU: i5-2500K
Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus Evo
GPU: Leadtek GTX560Ti
Mem: DDR3 2x4gb /1600 Corsair Vengeance Red
Hard Drive: WD 1T
SSD: Corsair 120 GB
Optical drive: Samsung 22x DVD writer
Keyboard and mouse: probably Logitech
OS: Windows 7

Some concerns I have:

Should I get a BlueRay drive? BR discs are not common here.
Do I need an SSD? The consensus seems to be Samsung SSD or nothing. I may be able to order from Bangkok.
Anything strange in this build i.e. something missing or unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Cheers.


Best solution

February 20, 2012 2:15:52 PM

sithone said:
Some concerns I have:

Should I get a BlueRay drive? BR discs are not common here.
Do I need an SSD? The consensus seems to be Samsung SSD or nothing. I may be able to order from Bangkok.
Anything strange in this build i.e. something missing or unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Cheers.


Don't bother with Blu-Ray unless you plan on buying a lot of movies on disc. You can always stream for decent quality (assume you have Hulu/Netflix or something similar). SSDs are never *needed* but are nice to have, meaning it should be the LAST thing you buy after you have everything else. Don't skimp on any of the other parts just to fit a SSD into your budget.

Samsung and Crucial seem to be the best price/performance SSDs with Marvel controllers. The Intel SSDs perform well too, but are way overpriced. I don't know if all of the issues with Sandforce SSDs have been fixed, but if they are OCZ and Corsair are good brands to look for too.
Share
February 20, 2012 2:46:40 PM

Looks Like a solid build I have almost same setup and have no complaints,ssd really improves speed ,I have 10 sec boot up,and games load almost instantly
m
0
l
Related resources
February 20, 2012 3:05:39 PM

For your CS5 work you may want to consier an i7-2700k for the hyperthreading unless that is all GPU accelerated.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 3:07:15 PM

get a small and cheap SSD.corsair 60GB would be my choice or m4 64GB.you can easily arrange a 7950 is your budget!!
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:06:51 PM

vrumor said:
For your CS5 work you may want to consier an i7-2700k for the hyperthreading unless that is all GPU accelerated.


thanks. the merchant suggested the i7-2600, which I thought was maybe too much. but their price was good ($310) considering my remote location. i'll consider the i7-2700 as well.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:17:44 PM

Hotkeyy said:
Don't bother with Blu-Ray unless you plan on buying a lot of movies on disc. You can always stream for decent quality (assume you have Hulu/Netflix or something similar). SSDs are never *needed* but are nice to have, meaning it should be the LAST thing you buy after you have everything else. Don't skimp on any of the other parts just to fit a SSD into your budget.

Samsung and Crucial seem to be the best price/performance SSDs with Marvel controllers. The Intel SSDs perform well too, but are way overpriced. I don't know if all of the issues with Sandforce SSDs have been fixed, but if they are OCZ and Corsair are good brands to look for too.


OK thanks. BD is definitely out. My merchant has only Corsair SSD: 60GB ($135), and 120GB ($225) which is pricey IMHO. Good idea to leave that decision until the end, and see if I still have the stomach for it.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:24:28 PM

If you're looking to save some bucks you could drop down to a 650w PSU easily. 850w if you plan on dual cards. Looks like a nice rig.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 9:46:38 PM

momazboy said:
Looks Like a solid build I have almost same setup and have no complaints,ssd really improves speed ,I have 10 sec boot up,and games load almost instantly


Thanks for taking the time to comment ... much appreciated. Cheers.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 9:49:38 PM

hellfire24 said:
get a small and cheap SSD.corsair 60GB would be my choice or m4 64GB.you can easily arrange a 7950 is your budget!!


Thanks for taking the time to review and comment ... much appreciated. Cheers.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 9:52:09 PM

catatafish said:
If you're looking to save some bucks you could drop down to a 650w PSU easily. 850w if you plan on dual cards. Looks like a nice rig.


Thanks. I'm a bit concerned about heat, as it can get pretty hot where I live, but I agree that 850w it probably not necessary. Cheers.
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 1:21:06 AM

Best answer selected by sithone.
m
0
l
!