Windows Script Host

Is this [WSH] required for XP programs to work, i.e. updating, etc.? I
thought I had it disabled in WinME, but now I see WSH handling all kinds
of files in XP.

The reason I need to know, is I am having a problem with Netscape js
files, and I see a whole host of them, handled by WSH... is that normal
for XP?

If no one can help me with the NS question, I know other places to go;
but can someone here tell me if Windows Script Host is REQUIRED to be
active or enabled, for Windows XP to work correctly? And if not, where
would I disable it? TIA... and please be kind, I've only had XP 2 wks.
and I'm lost.
bj
3 answers Last reply
More about windows script host

    "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote
    | Is this [WSH] required for XP programs to work, i.e. updating, etc.? I
    | thought I had it disabled in WinME, but now I see WSH handling all kinds
    | of files in XP.

    wscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in the GUI.
    cscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in a CMD prompt box,
    or in a batch file.

    | The reason I need to know, is I am having a problem with Netscape js
    | files, and I see a whole host of them, handled by WSH...

    How exactly do you know that WSH is handling those Netscape js files?

    anonymouse wrote:
    > "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote
    > | Is this [WSH] required for XP programs to work, i.e. updating, etc.? I
    > | thought I had it disabled in WinME, but now I see WSH handling all kinds
    > | of files in XP.
    >
    > wscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in the GUI.
    > cscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in a CMD prompt box,
    > or in a batch file.

    Are these used/required by Windows XP and other programs, or is it a
    tool for users[who know what they are doing] to write their own scripts?

    > | The reason I need to know, is I am having a problem with Netscape js
    > | files, and I see a whole host of them, handled by WSH...
    >
    > How exactly do you know that WSH is handling those Netscape js files?

    The WSH icon, and when I check properties, it says WSH is opening it.

    Thanks for your response, I'm not finding much help elsewhere.
    bj

    > | is that normal
    > | for XP?
    > |
    > | Can someone here tell me if Windows Script Host is REQUIRED to be
    > | active or enabled, for Windows XP to work correctly? And if not, where
    > | would I disable it? TIA... and please be kind, I've only had XP 2 wks.
    > | and I'm lost.
    > | bj

    "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote
    | anonymouse wrote:
    | > "chicagofan" <me7@privacy.net> wrote
    | > | Is this [WSH] required for XP programs to work, i.e. updating, etc.? I
    | > | thought I had it disabled in WinME, but now I see WSH handling all kinds
    | > | of files in XP.
    | >
    | > wscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in the GUI.
    | > cscript.exe is used to open *.JS and *.VBS files in a CMD prompt box,
    | > or in a batch file.
    |
    | Are these used/required by Windows XP and other programs, or is it a
    | tool for users[who know what they are doing] to write their own scripts?

    When you double-click on a *.JS file, wscript.exe will open and execute that
    *.JS file. You can change to some other program which understands Netscape JS
    by editing the file-type assocation via...
    Windows Explorer
    Tools
    File Types
    JS

    "Other programs" such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator
    handle JavaScript themselves.

    | > | The reason I need to know, is I am having a problem with Netscape js
    | > | files, and I see a whole host of them, handled by WSH...
    | >
    | > How exactly do you know that WSH is handling those Netscape js files?
    |
    | The WSH icon, and when I check properties, it says WSH is opening it.

    That just means that when you double-click on a *.JS file,
    wscript.exe will open and execute that *.JS file.

    If you are having difficulties when double-clicking on Netscape
    *.JS files, be aware that Netscape's version of JavaScript is different
    from Microsoft's version of JavaScript.

    If you are having difficulties when using Netscape *.JS files within
    Microsoft Internet Explorer, and you are getting "Script Error" type
    messages, then you can disable those error messages via...
    Internet Explorer
    Tools
    Browsing
    [Y] Disable Script Debugging
    [_] Display a notification about every script error

    | Thanks for your response, I'm not finding much help elsewhere.
    | bj

    If none of the above helps, then perhaps you could provide exact details
    of the problems that you are experiencing with Netscape *.JS files.

    Reference:

    WSH DOCUMENTS
    Scroll down to...
    (MS Windows Script 5.6 Documentation)
    to download the File: scrdoc56en.exe

    http://www.winguides.com/scripting/
    (Scripting Guide for Windows) Tutorial

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter
    (ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide)

    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v20/greg20.htm
    "What’s a WSH?" ~~ by Greg Chapman

    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc/gs4.htm#wsh

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting

    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=240
    "Windows Scripting Resources" by Dennis Roche

    NEWSGROUP

    WSH BROKEN Download and reinstall MS Windows Script 5.6: