I need help/advice on building a gaming pc

IsaacZilla

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I've decided on building a custom gaming PC in the coming months and these are the components that i have chosen, this is my first PC build and i wanted advice on the components; if they are suitable to use.. i was also wondering if there are any components that i have missed out, also if you could recommend some better components that would be awesome, I don't really want to over spend on the PC so could you recommend components or product that are not super expensive :p I have a budget of around £1000 and willing to go slightly higher plus, I don't really want all the products to be high end, just enough to run games smoothly and also to be future proof :)

This is my list

PCU : XFX ProSeries Core Edition Full Wired 750W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply w/SATA, PCIe & SLI Ready
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 or GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 SLI/CrossFireX Socket 1155 ATX Motherboard w/HDMI, DVI, Video, GbLAN & RAID hmm
Harddrive(s) : Kingston SSDNow V+200 120GB SATA/600 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital 1000GB 7200rpm SATA
RAM : Kingston KTD-PE313/8G 8GB DIMM 240-pin DDR3 1333MHz / PC3-10600 Registered ECC Memory for Dell PowerEdge X2 or 4 Sticks
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz (6MB L3 Cache) Socket 1155 Quad-Core CPU
Graphics Card : Nvidia GTX 570
Heatsink/Fan: Antec PRO 120mm Dual Ball Bearing Fan
DVD RW : Sony 24x DVD RW
PCI : Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter Network adapter

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums.

You've done pretty well, I'm impressed. There are however a few things that need to be changed. Could you fill out the form here? Gives information such as purchase date, country, preferred site to order from, etc. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
-First thing I notice is you have 8GB sticks of ECC ram. This is server RAM, it is very expensive and not necessary for a gaming machine. Look at getting a 2x4GB set of ram, preferably at 1600MHz.
-The SSD you have listed is rather, well, sucky. You'd be much better off with the similarly priced Crucial M4.
-Grab the i5-2500k. It is $10 more, yet allows significant overclocks. This is worth the cost for sure.
-I'd prefer to either go above of below the GTX 570. Either a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core, or a 6970.
-You might consider grabbing a 500GB hard drive for now, since the market is so inflated. When prices come down you can grab another.

I don't see a case!
A little more work and I think we'll be there.

Cheers!