6-7k Budget- Gaming Desktop

Meewow

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I'm in the market to buy a gaming desktop... what's the best I can get for 6-7k in your opinion? I'm looking at the usual- Falcon Northwest and Alienware... but is that the best? AND what config would you choose?

I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks to anyone who can help in advance

Meewow

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi WR2,

I have no right being here. I would love to build my own comp, but I am such a novice, I'm afraid I would set fire to my apartment. I was thinking more in the lines with buying from a company who would set it up for me.

Unless you vehemently think I should put it together myself. I would be open to that, I do have friends that could help. But again, Novice here. I wouldn't know how much to allocate for tower and for peripherals. Suggestion? (Please don't be mad at me) =>

I think you should compare both options. There isn't a single option that is right for everyone.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

When you get close to finalizing the parts you want you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

hello mr.rich,both falcon and alienware suck.no need to spend 6k on a gaming build.a $1500~ rig will max out any game at 1080p.if you want all peripherals than just $500 more in your budget.$2k is the highest i would suggest spending on a gaming rig.after all it's your choice.please fill this--
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

Don't worry about it. Everyone starts out at the same level at some time or another.
Everyone around here would prefer to see you show up here BEFORE you start buying your parts. That's a smart move.

You can get yourself a pretty kick-ass gaming system for around $3500.
That would be around $2200 for the tower and $1300 for peripherals like keyboard, mouse, speakers and triple monitor AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround display.
2mzjdwp.jpg

-> If you have room for that type of setup. Are you interested in something like that?

To get an idea what kind of parts make up a $2200 tower look over this suggestion.
Premium Player May 2012

hellfire24's $1500 budget is a popular price point as well:
Gaming Workhorse May 2012

And both of those options can be massaged and adjusted to meet your personal taste in case looks, and to take advantage of any deals, specials or rebates going on at the moment you're ready to order.

You might want to jump on over to the Systems > New Build section of the THG forums where they handle about a couple dozen of these requests per day.

That's where that *How To Ask For New Build Advice* form hellfire24 linked leads you and it's a good place to ask about both Pre-Built and DIY Home Built systems.

Meewow

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hey WR2

Thank you for being so considerate and informative. You're the coolest guy I've met on the Internet.

Did you setup that 3 monitor rig? It looks amazing. I would definitely love something like that!

I'm definitely going to read up tonight and checkout those builds. Really appreciate your help!

-Meewow

yes he is the MASTER!

Did you setup that 3 monitor rig? It looks amazing. I would definitely love something like that!

I'm definitely going to read up tonight and checkout those builds. Really appreciate your help!

-Meewow
yes you can build a rig similar to that but still no need to spend $7k.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

there is a lot of stuff in these builds that games do not need. like a ssd and a 250+ dollar case.