Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"Not compatible with 64-bit mode.” - W7 64-bit on Intel Atom N2800

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2012 9:59:49 AM

I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64-bit on a netbook (Lenovo IdeaPad S110), which has the Intel Atom N2800 (1.86 GHz) as its processor, but I get the following error message when the Windows 7 installation DVD is loading:

It says "Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode".

The Intel Atom N2800 is a 64-bit CPU according to its webpage.

I am wondering why the Windows 7 installer shows this error message, despite this. Is there something I must configure first before installing Windows 7, 64-bit? Or is the netbook not compatible with a 64-bit OS?

Other details:

The netbook has 2 GB RAM.
• The netbook initially had Windows 7 Starter (32-bit) installed. I am trying to format the netbook and install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, instead.
• I am booting from the Windows 7 installer DVD through an external DVD drive
a c 203 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 10:19:43 AM

Where did you find 64bit drivers for your Lenovo S110?
June 7, 2012 11:11:07 AM

WR2 said:
Where did you find 64bit drivers for your Lenovo S110?

I downloaded the drivers offered by the Windows 7, 64- bit option in the Lenovo driver download site. For those that are not there, I downloaded the one offered by the manufacturer of the device. For everything else, I'll just let Windows Update handle it.

Does the Lenovo S110 not support a 64-bit OS (despite having a 64-bit CPU)?
Related resources
June 7, 2012 11:46:17 AM

My plan is just to use the 64-bit drivers and software that Lenovo provides (yes, that one). For those 64-bit drivers that are not there, I downloaded the one offered by the manufacturer of the device. For everything else, I'll just let Windows Update handle it.

Please note that I haven't been able to try the 64-bit drivers because I haven't been able to install 64-bit Windows 7.

May I ask why you want to know where I downloaded the drivers?
a c 203 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 11:48:31 AM

I betcha Win7 32bit installs without a hitch.
June 7, 2012 11:59:07 AM

I actually already have it installed (Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit). =) I still would like to know why the Windows 7 installer shows the error message in my original post, despite this. Is there something I must configure first before installing Windows 7, 64-bit? Or is the netbook (or its motherboard) not compatible with a 64-bit OS?
a c 203 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 12:04:39 PM

Lenovo should be able to answer that.

I think the missing 64bit drivers from Lenovo is an indication there is no firmware support for 64bit Win7 OS.

Have you tested a 64bit version of Linux? Like Ubuntu Desktop12.04?
a c 82 à CPUs
June 7, 2012 5:22:23 PM

Your problem is that most Atoms do not support 64 bit at all. The newest ones are 64 bit processors, but the netbook vendors have locked out 64 bit support on their motherboards, so you are still restricted to 32 bit OSes. It's just a way to keep performance tiers separate, to encourage people who really need 64 bit support to spend more to buy a laptop rather than the cheaper netbook route.
June 8, 2012 1:32:05 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Your problem is that most Atoms do not support 64 bit at all. The newest ones are 64 bit processors, but the netbook vendors have locked out 64 bit support on their motherboards, so you are still restricted to 32 bit OSes.

It appears you are correct. CPU-Z screenshot: http://i.stack.imgur.com/JADrn.png

The Intel Atom N2800 is one of the newest processors in the Intel Atom line and its Intel.com webpage states that it has 64-bit support. I reckon CPU-Z states it lacks 64-bit support because Lenovo blocked it in the BIOS. Lenovo also blocked the IdeaPad S110 netbook from having more than 2 GB of RAM.

Supernova1138 said:

It's just a way to keep performance tiers separate, to encourage people who really need 64 bit support to spend more to buy a laptop rather than the cheaper netbook route.

This is not good for consumers. I hope it doesn't become a standard industry practice. It would be nice to have a netbook with 4 GB+ RAM and 64-bit support.

Best solution

a c 82 à CPUs
June 8, 2012 1:45:42 AM

For the moment locking out 64 bit support seems to be standard across just about all netbook vendors. They don't feel the need to add 64 bit support, because really the netbooks are intended as simple web browsing/light office task machines, and thus don't really need more than 4GB of RAM. Not to mention, 64 bit support might cut into the low end laptop sales, resulting in lower profits for them.

With the tablet's rapid rise in popularity, largely filling the same market niche, though at far too high a price at the moment IMO, it's possible that the netbook form factor will disappear before 64 bit support gets added to them. At this point it does look like netbooks aren't likely to see 64 bit support until we reach a point that there are no 32 bit OSes available anymore, and 64 bit support becomes mandatory.
June 15, 2012 12:57:29 AM

Best answer selected by dazed_00.
!