Best pc for video editing/rendering (Adobe CS5/6 Master Collection + 3D StudioMA

imageologist

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new workstation (Intel or AMD with windows7) for 3D & motion graphics work and want to run the list of components (e.g. After Effects CS6, Adobe Premiere CS5, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Final Cut Studio, 3D Studio MAX, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, ) for a best combination for workstation. It won’t be used for any gaming.

I’m also interested in possibly overclocking the cpu slightly, for that little extra kick in performance. I have never overclocked anything, and don’t have a clue about it. Any help in that department would also be very appreciated. I’m not looking for the highest overclock possible, but rather a noticeable speed boost, but ultimately a really stable system.

Any opinions, suggestions for list of hardware details and pricing. (budget USD 1000 to 1500)

I look forward to your suggestible answer.

Syed

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi,
I generally get a headache with 'complete system/ unit selection' questions - you'll see why when the brand/model/etc beating begins.....lol.....

So, without specifying individual parts what we can say is:

- CPU - Any high-mid to high CPU will do, intel are universally better recommended, e.g. sandy bridge K series such as i5 2500 or i7, or an ivy equivalent (tom's were not too impressed with ivy's performance! so you migh get a better deal going with sandy), I have most of these programs installed on an 'old' i7 920 clocked at 4GHz coupled with a gtx580 - and they run very smoothly!! (e.g. after effects and premiere -both cs 5.5, note - an SSD helps!),

- GFX - both nvidia and ati make pro-level cards with custom drivers aimed at the pro gfx market. They cost a lot more than equivalent 'gaming' cards. However, for your budget I would consider staying with these 'gaming' cards e.g. the 580 I use. You are probably aware of nvidia's cuda and that the implementation (so far) of it's direct compute competition (e.g. ati) delivers less acceleration benefits than cuda.
So with this, you may want to stay with nvidia (and, cuda has been around for much longer than any competition).
I think it's safe to say -->stay away from nvidia's 600 series since cuda implementation here is well known to be inferior (see tom's recent review).

- SSD - Will make a big difference, and with competitive prices, get a second SSD to use as a scratch/working store for adobe.....remember, prices will continue to fall.

- Anything else is pretty supplementary....psu (should give you headroom over the system's expected total wattage under load)....etc...etc