Sign in with
Your question

High End Ivy Bridge CPUs release date?

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2012 11:51:54 AM

Anyone know when Intel are going to release the next stage of Ivy bridge cpu's?
i'm looking to put a new build together but waiting for an ivy bridge extreme cpu.
any help would be great thanks!
June 7, 2012 3:43:42 PM

ahhh bugger that is annoying!!

would the 2011 socket m/b still be compatible with the 2013 ivy bridge cpu's?

what would be the best processor to get at the moment that i could upgrade later?
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 7, 2012 3:45:05 PM

We don't know, but there's been some rumors about Ivybridge-E which are 8 core ivybridge cpu's. It may or may not be on the 2011 socket.
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 7, 2012 5:30:43 PM

I don't have knowledge one way or another on when/if 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors will reach socket 2011, but can give you a little historical information that may shed some light on this.

We have tried to give each generation of processor we release at least a year on the market. Now since the the 2nd generation Intel Core processors only reached socket 2011 in November.

So I think you will see the 3rd generation Intel Core processors reach socket 2011 later this year.
June 7, 2012 7:10:02 PM

This sucks, i am going to have to wait anouther year now.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2012 7:46:44 PM

I'm actually ok with this.

I think that Intel was releasing products far too often as of late. Especially when you consider the competition as well as the Software out there.

Intel's Tick Tock strategy was a great means of stirring the giant ship into the right direction and challenge AMD (who at the time could boast about having the best CPUs being the Athlon64 X2s).

With little to no competition on the extreme end of the x86 spectrum and more competition in the mobile/handheld markets... perhaps Intel is shifting gears.

One can hope.
a c 203 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 7, 2012 8:55:52 PM

ronin2009 said:
would the 2011 socket m/b still be compatible with the 2013 ivy bridge cpu's?
As best we know now - yes.

Ivy Bridge-E in Q4 2012, Compatible with LGA2011 and X79 (published before announcement IVB-E pushed back into Q2 H2-2013)

The main issue for you will be there a reason to upgrade from SB-E to IVB-E.
The die-shrink from SB to IVB did not yield the type of performance improvements to make a compelling case to for SB owners to move up to IVB.
!