Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sporadic problems with crashed video driver or BSOD

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2012 7:03:07 PM

I've now had this computer for a little over a year, and the problems it has seem only to hide for a short while then get worse. It used to just be centered on the video card (tried 3 now so pretty sure it isn't the fault there) and at one point my SSD (crucial) died so now running velociraptor. One of 5 things happens,
1) Graphical glitches (artifacts) where something small on screen during rendering (not desktop but game or oc scanner from evga) is stretched halfway across the screen, usually several of them in odd was and angles
2) black screen for seconds then windows error message: The display adapter driver has failed .....
3) playing music or any background sound it "freezes" for a 1-2 seconds and continues the last "sound" very loudly then goes on as normal
4) Frozen completely no BSOD
5) BSOD

I have tried swapping video cards (3 of them, all same type/brand)
Run linpack (intelburntest) and prime95 for hours (linpack returned not less than 5 results for me)
run memtest 86+ for at least 3 passes
Had a physical test (official Antec tester) put on power supply
and now am running without overclocking (no problems yet but this will be a new "test" for me.....and only been running 30 mins so far)

Case: Antec DF-85
CPU: Intel 2600k (was 4.6 @ 1.380v, now 3.4 @ 1.370v)
Motherboard: P8P67 Deluxe (b3) (firmware upgraded regularly..no betas)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4gb DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH x4 dual channel (damn chipset wont triple! :p ) 7/7/21 @1.50v
Main HD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10k RPM
Video Card: EVGA GTX 580 Fermi x1
Cpu Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Cp-1000 antec power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 7:17:23 PM

It's the PSU. I have VERY similar issues. I tested a friends PSU in my computer, and it worked perfectly. It can cause issues such as crashing and freezing, and if it is faulty, can damage other components which could cause issues such as the sound, etc.
February 20, 2012 7:39:55 PM

I had a store with the antec tester try that out, any chance the tester would give good reading /w faulty psu?

edit:
rma started, hoping this solves my problem, thank you for your time.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 8:17:10 PM

Yes it could happen because all those test is how much it is putting out, and not the consistency. Basically they just test whether or not it is putting out the correct voltage and wattage. It could still be faulty, and be fluctuating or have cords that don't power well. I would be willing to put money on the fact that the psu caused the problems.
February 25, 2012 4:57:14 AM

Best answer selected by tsuris.
February 25, 2012 9:16:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!