Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New Build - i7 3930k

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 20, 2012 7:27:39 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Month

Budget Range: $2000-$2300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Browsing,

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor and a case.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.ca / http://www.bestdirect.ca / http://www.directcanada.com

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: intel / Corsair / anything that has a good reputation

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what i have in mind so far...


CPU:
Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading Unlocked LGA2011 Processor No HSF
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/238376/BX80619I73930K...

Mobo:
ASUS Rampage IV EXTREME/BF3 E-ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 5PCI-E16 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD4629

CPU Fan:
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance CPU Cooler System LGA1366 2011 1156 AM2 AM3
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC7448

Power Supply:
Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC2373

Graphic Card:
Sapphire Radeon Hd 7970 925MHZ 3GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5 Dvi Hdmi 2XMINIDISPLAYPORT PCI-E Video Card
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14080BD2881

Memory:
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-27 Quad Channel Memory Kit
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC5904

HDD:
Need Suggestions

SDD:
Do i need one? should i add one?

DVD:
LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...


OS:
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD SP1 OEM (Would have went with home but it has a limit of 16gb of ram)
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12850SW7181&v...


Thanks in advance!

More about : build 3930k

February 20, 2012 7:45:12 PM

This psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic as is that Corsair you have up there.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180AC8651&v... $135.65
XFX 850W PRO850W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver

Quick storage drive with a heck of a deal on a nice SATA 3 SSD.


http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/227170/WD1002FAEX/Wes... $148.50
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=30170DR2463&v... $265.93
Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive


And here's a board worth taking a look at.

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/240308/X79%20Extreme9... $405.90
ASRock X79 EXTREME9 ATX LGA2011 DDR3 5PCI-E16 1PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... <----- that same board @ newegg canada w/customer reviews

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X79%20Extre... <------ another look at that board
February 20, 2012 7:58:48 PM

Why_Me said:
This psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic as is that Corsair you have up there.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180AC8651&v... $135.65
XFX 850W PRO850W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver

Quick storage drive with a heck of a deal on a nice SATA 3 SSD.


http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/227170/WD1002FAEX/Wes... $148.50
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=30170DR2463&v... $265.93
Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive


And here's a board worth taking a look at.

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/240308/X79%20Extreme9... $405.90
ASRock X79 EXTREME9 ATX LGA2011 DDR3 5PCI-E16 1PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=X79%20Extre... <------ another look at that board




Thank =] will switch to the xfx psu and ill look into the mobo as well! I also found the same HDD on directcanada for $20 less than the one on bestdirect.

should i install the os onto the ssd?
Related resources
February 20, 2012 8:04:18 PM

xSynn said:
Thank =] will switch to the xfx psu and ill look into the mobo as well! I also found the same HDD on directcanada for $20 less than the one on bestdirect.

I edited that post up above and three in a link to that board to newegg canada where it has customer reviews on it. And there's a few reviews on the net on that board. Nice score also on that HD. Your also going to find an SSD a must. 120GB-128GB is going to leave you wanting, but 240+GB is going to be the sweet spot.
February 20, 2012 8:05:58 PM

i5 2500k is the best bang 4 da buck 4 gamin but since uv got da money

mobo: asus maximus IV extreme (REV 3.0)
cpu: intel i7 2700k
cpu cooler: noctua nh-d14
video card: amd radeon hd 7970
ram: g.skill ripjaws x series 8gb 2133 mhz
psu: corsair ax850
optical drive: lg black 12x bd-rom
hhd: western digital caviar black 1.5tb

im not an expert on ssd's so idk wut 2 get 4 ssd (but DEFINITLEY get one)
February 20, 2012 8:39:13 PM

He wants to use a 2011 chipset, so his choices are perfectly fine for gaming.
February 20, 2012 8:51:30 PM

xtremegamer2da-max said:
i5 2500k is the best bang 4 da buck 4 gamin but since uv got da money

mobo: asus maximus IV extreme (REV 3.0)
cpu: intel i7 2700k
cpu cooler: noctua nh-d14
video card: amd radeon hd 7970
ram: g.skill ripjaws x series 8gb 2133 mhz
psu: corsair ax850
optical drive: lg black 12x bd-rom
hhd: western digital caviar black 1.5tb

im not an expert on ssd's so idk wut 2 get 4 ssd (but DEFINITLEY get one)


I would have gone with the i5 if I wasn't going to use a lga 2011.

Best solution

February 20, 2012 9:06:15 PM
Share

Synn said:
I would have gone with the i5 if I wasn't going to use a lga 2011.

TBH the 1155 would be the way to go. Ivy Bridge coming out in mid April/May, PCI-E 3.0, 1155 cpu's run cooler and over clock better, etc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-... <----- good review w/benchmarks on the 3930K
February 20, 2012 10:41:21 PM

Why_Me said:
TBH the 1155 would be the way to go. Ivy Bridge coming out in mid April/May, PCI-E 3.0, 1155 cpu's run cooler and over clock better, etc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-... <----- good review w/benchmarks on the 3930K


Ivy bridge is going to be available for the 1155?
February 20, 2012 10:59:16 PM

Synn said:
Ivy bridge is going to be available for the 1155?

Yep...all 1155 boards, but only the 1155 Gen 3 boards will support PCI-E 3.0

Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, and MSI all have Gen 3 boards out now.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html <----- A nice quick and short look at how Gen 3 and Ivy Bridge work with the new generation vid cards for PCI-E 3.0

February 21, 2012 12:00:54 AM

Alright sounds good, might as well just wait doesn't seem to be that far in the future... this would also increase the budget :)  Thank you.
February 21, 2012 12:02:18 AM

Best answer selected by xSynn.
February 21, 2012 1:05:28 AM

i would look into eyefinity with your budget- http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefini...

i would also wait for the i7 3820 when it becomes available up their- http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=68691&vpn=BX80619i7382... , or as advised before wait till ivy bridge.
ivy bridge will not have as many pcie lanes as sandy bridge-e which is fine if you are just running a 1080p monitor but with an eyefinity setup i would get 2 7950's and the i7 3820 because at the high resolutions eyefinity produces running cards at x8/x8 will bottleneck performance a considerable amount. You can still overclock the i7 3820 even though it isnt a "k" cpu- http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-r... , it is a significantly cheaper than the 3930k as well.

I also recommend this motherboard- http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD5227&v... it is a favorite of tomshardware and a very good performer to say the least: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p9x79-deluxe-g1-ass...

hdd: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14120DR5445&v... 100$ i wouldnt get much more than this with current hdd prices

ssd: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180DR5677&v... 184$ definitely get an ssd 120gb at the least

ram: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC5614&v... 95$

gpu: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD3894&v... x2=916$

cpu cooler: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64540&vpn=NH-D14%20SE2... 90$ best air cooler on the market. much quieter than the h100 and performs similarly

Psu: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC1632&v... 111$ 750w is all that is needed. the 7950 consumes less power than the 6950
February 21, 2012 1:24:52 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
i would look into eyefinity with your budget- http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefini...

i would also wait for the i7 3820 when it becomes available up their- http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=68691&vpn=BX80619i7382... , or as advised before wait till ivy bridge.
ivy bridge will not have as many pcie lanes as sandy bridge-e which is fine if you are just running a 1080p monitor but with an eyefinity setup i would get 2 7950's and the i7 3820 because at the high resolutions eyefinity produces running cards at x8/x8 will bottleneck performance a considerable amount. You can still overclock the i7 3820 even though it isnt a "k" cpu- http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-r... , it is a significantly cheaper than the 3930k as well.

I also recommend this motherboard- http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD5227&v... it is a favorite of tomshardware and a very good performer to say the least: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p9x79-deluxe-g1-ass...

hdd: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14120DR5445&v... 100$ i wouldnt get much more than this with current hdd prices

ssd: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180DR5677&v... 184$ definitely get an ssd 120gb at the least

ram: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC5614&v... 95$

gpu: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD3894&v... x2=916$

cpu cooler: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64540&vpn=NH-D14%20SE2... 90$ best air cooler on the market. much quieter than the h100 and performs similarly

Psu: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC1632&v... 111$ 750w is all that is needed. the 7950 consumes less power than the 6950



The 2 7950's would they be enough for Eyefinity? would i still be able to run them at the highest settings? I could also go with the 7970's now and maybe get another in the future.

February 21, 2012 2:13:19 AM

xSynn said:
The 2 7950's would they be enough for Eyefinity? would i still be able to run them at the highest settings? I could also go with the 7970's now and maybe get another in the future.

they are plenty for 3 1080p monitors. a 7950 is more powerful than a 580 so 2 would more than likely max out every game. i saw something where they oc'd a 7950 over 1ghz and it beat a 7970 at stock speeds. a single 7970 will be sufficient for most games but games like bf3 crysis 2 metro 2033 etc... can not be maxed out. a 7970 will max out every game on a single 1080p screen easy. maybe start with one monitor and one 7970 and expand from there (get an 850w psu too the hx850 is great btw). eyefinity is amazing and it gives you an edge gaming because you can actually see more.
February 21, 2012 2:31:19 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
they are plenty for 3 1080p monitors. a 7950 is more powerful than a 580 so 2 would more than likely max out every game. i saw something where they oc'd a 7950 over 1ghz and it beat a 7970 at stock speeds. a single 7970 will be sufficient for most games but games like bf3 crysis 2 metro 2033 etc... can not be maxed out. a 7970 will max out every game on a single 1080p screen easy. maybe start with one monitor and one 7970 and expand from there (get an 850w psu too the hx850 is great btw). eyefinity is amazing and it gives you an edge gaming because you can actually see more.


But wont the Eyefinity also work with ivy? It will most likely have 2 3.0 pci slots?
February 21, 2012 2:58:58 AM

xSynn said:
But wont the Eyefinity also work with ivy? It will most likely have 2 3.0 pci slots?

Yes it will. You can pick up an 1155 board with the NF200 Bridge and that allows you to run dual cards @ 16. There's maybe a half dozen of those boards on the market.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- heres one. It goes for around $260 on newegg. Asus has a couple, Gigabyte has one or two and I believe MSI has one.
February 21, 2012 3:20:31 AM

Why_Me said:
Yes it will. You can pick up an 1155 board with the NF200 Bridge and that allows you to run dual cards @ 16. There's maybe a half dozen of those boards on the market.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- heres one. It goes for around $260 on newegg. Asus has a couple, Gigabyte has one or two and I believe MSI has one.

if you read the specs to run both cards at x16/x16 you would have to put the cards is pcie 1 and pcie 4. now that alone looks like you are going to need a reeeeaaaalllly long crossfire bridge. And the one that it comes with will not make that distance.
On newegg the only z68 board that offers true x16/x16 support is that one asrock.
February 21, 2012 3:24:09 AM

xSynn said:
But wont the Eyefinity also work with ivy? It will most likely have 2 3.0 pci slots?

it will but it lacks pcie lanes. sandy bridge-e has 40 native pcie lanes. regular sandy bridge has 16. with a nf200 bridge it goes up to 40 also but there is not a z68 board that can handle 2 cards running at x16 other than that asrock but the spacing is terrible.
February 21, 2012 4:03:09 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
if you read the specs to run both cards at x16/x16 you would have to put the cards is pcie 1 and pcie 4. now that alone looks like you are going to need a reeeeaaaalllly long crossfire bridge. And the one that it comes with will not make that distance.
On newegg the only z68 board that offers true x16/x16 support is that one asrock.


http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4634.... <----- Xtra long 4" AMD Crossfire Bridge

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-CrossFire-Interconnect-Bridge... <----- and @ amazon
February 21, 2012 11:48:28 PM

that is not going to cut it. i did a couple of quick conversions since i dont have the motherboard on me. on my monitor i measured it was 7.25 in. and since the motherboard is a foot long (30.5cm) i determined the conversion factor between the size of the motherboard and the size of the motherboard on my monitor to be 4.207 (30.5/7.25). on my monitor the spacing between pcie1 and pcie4 is 2.5cm. then multiplying 2.5cm by the conversion factor above the spacing is 10.52cm. the crossfire bridges that you listed were 10cm long. i dont know if there is much play in the bridges but if it was not in the case you could probably make up that distance by moving the cards a bit but since they are in a case they are bolted in place.
February 22, 2012 10:23:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!