Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4 year old computer and radeon 6950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2011 12:17:24 AM

Hello there, I was wondering if the radeon 6950 would fit/work in my 4 year old hp GN556AA-ABA (all specs can be found below). I would really like to play the game Star Wars the Old Republic (System requirements are found below) but my gpu and psu are severely out of date. I was thinking of getting the radeon 6950 because I've heard good things about it, but I will also need a new psu. Could you please give me some advice on which gpu and psu to buy?

Some extra information: I'm new to custom parts in a computer and gaming on a pc. I'm also willing to pay for the radeon 6950 and 60/70 dollars for the psu.

Computer specs: http://www.epinions.com/specs/Hewlett_Packard_HP_PAVILI...

Game requirements: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#171060

Radeon hd 6950: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 12:28:05 AM

A 6950 will most certainly improve your gaming performance a ton (it's many times more powerful than the GPU in your specs). However, there are a few things that may limit your game performance, meaning you wouldn't be able to fully utilize the graphics horsepower of that card:

- 2GB of ram will limit performance
- Your processor will limit performance- overclocking isn't really an option with most pre-builts like HP, Dell, etc.

I'd honestly recommend you try to put together a few hundred more dollars and go for a new rig- Tom's has great articles about $500 gaming PCs each quarter. A decent setup will last you a long time, and you can upgrade your GPU as needed. Just need to get on a more modern platform!
Score
December 22, 2011 12:35:37 AM

The only thing I don't see, are the PSU specifications. It matters a lot, first of all, you need a PSU that can easily supply at LEAST 300 watts to the 12v rail. Open your tower, and see if it does. If it does not, please post what Amperage rating the +12v rail has.

Also, your processor is going to be a SEVERE bottleneck when using this card, your card would be overkill for the rest of your system. 2GB of ram is okay, but 4 would be better.

Given your processor, I wouldn't spend so much money on a 6950. I would go for a 6850 instead. They are much cheaper, and will offer more than enough power for the game you want to play.
Score
Related resources
December 22, 2011 12:52:37 AM

Hmm, very interesting. The psu says it has a max of 250w output. I am seriously considering building my own pc, but I can't really do that at the moment. So if I upgraded the gpu, psu, and maybe ram, then later on buy a new processor I would be ok, or should I just hold off like beltzy said and just build it from scratch?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 7:38:33 AM

If your desperate, spend ~£50 on a low power GFX Card to put you on for SWTOR on low Settings. A GT440 should run it on low perfectly fine.

But yeah, get a new build - for £400 - £450 you can get -

Core i3 2120 3.3ghz
4gb DDR3 1333mhz Corsiar XMS3 Ram
Asus P8H67 Rev3 Mobo
Generic DVD Dual Layer RW+/-
Asus DirectCU 6850 1gb
450 Watt XFX Pro Core PSU (85% Eff - 34A Single Rail)
Coolermaster elite 430 mid tower (Or Similar Silverstone/Antec/NZXT offering)
As far as the HDD goes...God knows, a 250gb HDD is £50 now, I would recycle.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 22, 2011 8:59:46 AM

kamikaze1 said:
Hmm, very interesting. The psu says it has a max of 250w output. I am seriously considering building my own pc, but I can't really do that at the moment. So if I upgraded the gpu, psu, and maybe ram, then later on buy a new processor I would be ok, or should I just hold off like beltzy said and just build it from scratch?

Yes he's so right, none of your components would support the new HD 6950 starting from your CPU to PSU. You need a new rig with a decent Quad Core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, a 500W quality branded PSU, and the HD 6950.
Score
December 22, 2011 8:57:27 PM

Best answer selected by kamikaze1.
Score
!