Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to salvage and biuld! 700$ budget

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2012 7:38:14 PM

Hey All,
I'm looking to upgrade my gaming rig, nothing too extreme. I'm on a 700$ budget and am looking to take apart my current rig for parts (If compatible). I'm looking to upgrade to a I-7 with or an upper tier I-5, kinda want the motherboard to be interchangeable if i do end up with a I-5.

I'm working to salvage parts from a XPS720. below are the specs to the system (all parts fully functional).
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
6 GB of DDR2 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 <- more then likely going to stay with the same graphic card.
I have a dell power supply, but not sure if it would be compatible with any non-dell thing.
Some sound card, which is nice, not sure which it is.

I need a case, a power supply, a motherboard SLI if possible, fan, what else would i need?

Note: This is my first home built computer. I'm doing this out of fun and a little extra tax money to spend. I need some help finding compatible parts and staying within my budget, can you guys help me out? I find some fun and amusement in idea building and engaging conversation about this.

Much appreciated!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 8:02:00 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

First, can you fill out this form? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... Gives us a little more detail to work with, so we can tailor our suggestions to your needs.
Alright, down to business. I'm going to assume you won't be overclocking. This build has that in mind.
CPU: i5-2400 Quad-Core CPU
RAM: Mushkin Blackline 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Above in combo, $226
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Gen3 Extreme3 $121
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 700w $85
Case: HAF 912 $60
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K...
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 256-bit $150
HDD: Recycle
DVD: Recycle
Pretty damn good build if I do say so myself. You get a pair of GTX 460s and an i5-2400. The i5-2400 performs very closely to the i7-2600k, the only real difference is the unlocked multiplier (for overclocking) and HyperThreading, which doesn't affect gaming performance. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=287&i=60....

Let me know what you think!
February 20, 2012 8:15:33 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 03-2012

Budget Range: 700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: medium range gaming, open for expansion to upgrade when funding becomes available later

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, graphic card, sound card

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, logic deal certified websites

Parts Preferences: I would like to use a Intel processor, had good experiences with them, i don't overclock :/  Haven't really stepped into that sector yet.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: Have monitor

Additional Comments: Need a computer that is able to be able to upgrade for later, upgrade-able processor, additional or alternate graphic card, extra memory stick upgrades, a little extra power from the power supply. for an additional graphic card for the near future.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 8:16:54 PM

Alright then! The build above will work fine. I assume you can pull the DVD drive and HDD out of the old system? Do you need an OS?
m
l
February 20, 2012 8:18:44 PM

I wish i could upgrade my current rig but dell really pulled a sneaky one on me. ive always wanted to add a extra 460 for some time now but wasn't able to :( . Thanks for the incite in the processor, i did not know that.

I added some additional comments above, would that change your recommendation?
m
l
February 20, 2012 8:21:42 PM

Yeah :(  i'm currently sitting on a 32 bit vista :/ 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2012 8:23:30 PM

checo said:
Yeah :(  i'm currently sitting on a 32 bit vista :/ 

You have a copy of it? Any OS you have a copy of, or can get ahold of, is gonna save you $100.
m
l
February 21, 2012 1:47:56 AM

i read somewhere that it would only support 6gb of ram or something like that. not really sure what that ment if it was just for just the windows interface or all programs in general. Have any incite on that?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 1:49:59 AM

It will only support up to 3.5GB, yes.
That said, it's not a big issue. Not worth spending $100 on. I can change the RAM above to 4GB, or I can leave it. This really isn't a huge deal.
m
l
February 21, 2012 1:59:32 AM

striker410 said:
It will only support up to 3.5GB, yes.
That said, it's not a big issue. Not worth spending $100 on. I can change the RAM above to 4GB, or I can leave it. This really isn't a huge deal.

I don't know about Vista, but in Windows 7 it totally depends on the board.

I used to run 32 bit Win 7 w/ 4GB of RAM

only 2.69 would show up.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:17:11 AM

would the 8GB vrs GB make a significant drop in performance in games and such, i usually run Skype, chrome and a game open full time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 2:25:11 AM

No, it wouldn't be a big deal. You won't see a big performance hit, as it's very difficult to even make use of 8GB of ram. 4GB is fine.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:32:43 PM

A few things;

Motherboard: would i be able to upgrade the processor in the long run or would the i-5 2400 be the best thing? (lets say i would want to upgrade to a I-7 alittle later on.

Graphic Card: I use a EVGA GTX460 756mb card, if the memory on the card is different but its the same chipset and manufactor would that still alow me to SLI them?
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:43:42 PM

768mb*
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 3:18:15 PM

Oh, a 768MB card? Yeah that does make a difference. I'll scrounge one up.

There isn't really a need to upgrade to an I7. If you look at the benchmarks here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=287&i=60.... The $140 price difference nets you about 6-7 FPS. The i5-2400 is an excellent gaming processor.

On the GPU front, best I could do is right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galaxy-GeForce-GTX-460GC-768MB-... Says it's new, well rated seller. Buy now price of $120. Not bad.
m
l
February 21, 2012 4:16:37 PM

Even though the GPU is of a different brand will it work fine together in SLI?

if so this is awsome, that would leave me with ~$100 to spend on hardware, any additional things or upgrades i should consider?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 5:14:47 PM

Even though it's a different brand, it should work fine. Can you link me to the exact card you are talking about?

The price difference between the 768MB and the 1GB I linked above is only $30. Not much you can upgrade with that, haha.
m
l
February 21, 2012 5:33:37 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-460-768MB-GDDR5-768-P3...

I couldnt find a good link, but found one being sold on ebay, with some discriptions of the card.

I bought the card i had now about a year ago from ebay for about $140. I dont think its the superclocked or Overclocked version, just the regular ol' evga gtx460 768mb

Could possibly use that extra 30 bucks to get some tools, nice set of duckbills and wire bundles.

How about the cooling, I'm not really in the firefighting business, would you forsee a cooling problem with this biuld? No overclocking so im not really pushing the limits, but what do you think?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 6:16:17 PM

Alright then the one I linked will certainly work. Any GTX 460 768MB will, really.

Cooling shouldn't be a big problem. If you can space the cards a little bit they shouldn't get real hot. If you aren't overclocking it won't be a problem at all.
m
l
February 21, 2012 6:33:35 PM

Lastly, i had a power problem with my current rig earlyer in the year. I wanted to figure out if the 600W power supply would have enough juice to use both cards. they require 2 6pin connectors each.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 6:43:34 PM

The 700w I have above will for sure.
m
l
February 21, 2012 6:51:43 PM

Allright! Thanks, ill start ordering some parts tonight, going to check some local stores for those specific parts. First complete home biuld, this is going to be FUN!

Thanks for your haste responce and elightment on the subject :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2012 1:33:42 AM

Random note, there's a GTX 460 768MB going for $75 shipped here: http://bit.ly/xV95kf Not recommending or suggesting, just making you aware. I know may people who have bought stuff off [H] without a problem, but there's always risk. Just figured I'd let you know!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2012 2:50:53 AM

It's a good mobo. If it's better or not is personal opinion. I don't think you'd have any issues going with either.
m
l
February 25, 2012 3:15:50 AM

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Dunno if that will show you a build another poster help me put together the other day, but I was really happy with it. Just ordered the case yesterday, getting ready to order the power supply this weekend probably, if I don't change my mind on it first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2012 6:23:51 PM

Thats cool, decent deal on that PSU.

That CPU cooler isn't so good. Why? It's marginally better than the one that ships with the CPU. Since you won't be overclocking the stock heatsink would have been fine. Thermal paste comes pre-applied on the stock CPU cooler, no worries there.
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:29:50 PM

Great input, thanks. Ill cancel the on the heatsink, I wasnt really sure what comes in these boxes besides the actual thing. I was wondering if there any little things that i should pick up or order separately like an SLI bridge or wire bundles or some case fans?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2012 6:39:30 PM

Oh yeah I understand that completely. It's really hard to tell what they come with. No worries, it's got a little cooler with thermal paste pre-applied. You'll be just fine.

The HAF 912 is pretty well decked out with fans. With a 200MM in the front and a 140MM in the back, I think you'll get plenty of ventilation.

An SLI bridge would be good, assuming your mobo doesn't come with one (which it may not) you'll need that for sure.

m
l
March 2, 2012 11:27:35 PM

Best answer selected by checo.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:19:46 PM

So overall this is the summary of the biuld.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Note: Awsome case, always cool inside, plenty of space and everything fit in very easy. Smaller then the XPS720 but still enough space to fit everything in with extra space to spare.

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Note: This this is just beutiful. The gold colored aluminum designs and trims on the MB itself makes the board look amazing. The manuel had excelent directions and it came with great software to boost the PC itself. Decent Bios interface

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Note: Clicked right in, almost like it was made specifily for the case. Lost of connectors, im thinking too many. Hand a bad time trying to sort out where to put the extras. Plenty of reach and plenty of power for everything. Very Satisfied.

GPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400
Note: I was Upgrading from a Duo core processor. The difference in speed and decrease in lag from task is very notiable. Games are running alot smoother, and programs themselves are operating much faster. I would definetly look into upgrading in the future to a i-7 but this i-5 is more then what i need for now it. Highly reccomended. (im not overclocking)

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B x2
Note: I got two of these so total of 16gb of memory. I originally purchased one pack of 8gb, but a few weeks later purchased a second batch because of my own (wanting to see more blue on the mobo) I cant even cap the 8gb. I might look foward to using the extra memory as a dsk drive (i just have to find out how the heck to do it)

HDD: I salveaged my two 160gb hard drives, segate stuff.
Note: Currently looking into getting a SSD 60ish to install the OS and some frequently used games.

GPU: I salvaged my GTX460 768mb, and held had a Geforce GTS 8600 laying around so i entered that as a phys card.
Note: I will look into upgrading the card to at least a 1Gb and possibly aquireing a second. Games right now are running without lag and look awsome.

Monitor: Asus VE248H Black 24" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1
Note: since i was underbudget since i didnt purchase the GPU i ended up picking this baby up. I love it, no dead pixles, the black is deep even for a LED, and its just way bigger then im used to using. It had a very nice discount and i just picked this up along with the extra 8gb of corsair vengence memory (for no reason apparently)

Note: Job had extra licenceing and allowed me to use their OS. :) 

striker410 - I want to thank you! I love this biuld and its awsome thank you for your guidence, made my nerves a bit calmer when buying.

I was showing off the rig to a couple of co-works and classmates and they're now asking me to biuld one for them aswell (probly different parts) Depending on what budget ill use what i learned here on TOMS HARDWARE to help other folks out!

Thanks!

Also if you have any other reccomendations that i should look into for the future, please reply back :)  Goal is to play battlefeild 3 with a awsome a good amount of FPS

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 7:31:24 PM

Alright! Glad everything went smoothly. Yeah, that is one problem with non-modular power supplies. Cables everywhere. Usually I just bundle them up and let em rest on the floor. Hopefully the management went alright. I assume you got the cables snaked around the backside of the mobo without any issues?

Glad I could help. Be sure to let us know about any future upgrades. I think another GTX 460 would be a good option, although 1GB would be nice at 1080p. Maybe a 7850?

Cheers!
m
l
!