APU for simple CAD usage

Pedrovsky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
Hello guys,

My girlfriend is on the market for a new laptop to use mainly for her work as an architect, i was wondering how good an APU would do for that job since she rarelly does any 3D rendering...

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Your question is whether an integrated GPU is enough for CAD usage, or not? Right? Speaking of laptops, basically an intel HD2000 - 4000 GPU?

It should do the trick, if you are not picky. At least, CPU and RAM are more important.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
That chip has very decent graphic capabilities, that easily surpass Intel's HD graphics. However, the CPU is slower than let's say an i5 2410M would be.

I would choose a Laptop with an Intel CPU (possibly an i7 for CAD and Co) and a dedicated GPU, like a GT 540M and upwards.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
No idea, really. Its not like CAD is a common program to be benched, is it? ;)

All you can do is check out benchmarks and look at productivity/system scores. Then check for similar programs.

Why does it have to be that chip? Besides, there's no real price advantage in going AMD, either.

Pedrovsky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
It doesn't have to be that chip... And i also know that theres no real advantage on it, just yet...however that tecnology is really good and i'd like to see it developed further, and for that to happen they need it to sell it, and i'll be glad to help and buy it... just aslong as it works.

Pedrovsky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
and i admit it, i will, at some point, want to do some gaming on her computer, and theres just no competition price wise from intel on that field...

Graphics wise it will be fine but I'd be more concearned about performance. The Intel Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges is going to be able to do the calculations alot faster than the APU and the Intel 3000 or 4000 graphics will be fine. I would go with an Intel CPU. It's graphics will be good enough and it will be faster then the APU.

Pedrovsky

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
I understand the intel processors are alot faster, i'm not even trying to discuss that... My point is, she is curently using autocad on a pentium dual core and it runs...it doesnt run fast, sometimes not even smoothly but it runs...so my point is, would a A10-4600m make it run smoother, would it be a good improvement...yeah i know a intel SB or IB is the best and the faster...But what i'd like to know is if the A10 works or is just as crap as a pentium dual core with 6 years....

In 6 years the APU, Sandy Bridges or Ivy Bridges will be obsolete. In 6 years those processors will seem like Pentium 4's. Processors in the future will be faster, smaller, run cooler than all the processors today. Any CPU today will be a huge improvment over the old pentium of 5 or 6 years ago. Even a low end Sandy Bridges Pentium will be faster then the old Pentiums.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Does it have to be a laptop?

Here is a review on the processor, I didn't read it but it might help: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Trinity-A104600M-Processor-Review/
(mostly gaming benchmarks though)

I've used cad in highschool for a while, it doesn't seem that intensive.. But I didn't use it's higher features either. And that was an old version.

And yes, if your laptop is 6 years old anything new should be an improvement.

edit: oh I was ninja'd