New build, some newb questions.

jneesy

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hello,

So I am about to finish up my first build and have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. Should I use a dedicated sound card from my old pc instead of the built in mobo sound? Will it make a difference? Sound card is creative labs SB0880 X-Fi Titanium Sound Card, Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

2. I have yet to plug in my chassis fans. I am using the CoolerMaster HAF 932 case which has 4 pre installed fans. My motherboard has 3 fan slots labled sys_fan, 1 slot labeled pwr_fan and 1 slot nb_fan. If I choose to connect all 4 to the MB, I would have to connect one to one of the latter slots. Which?

3. The HAF 932 comes with USB 3.0 built into the front panel, but this motherboard doesn't have a usb 3.0 slot to connect it to, just one on the rear that goes into the i/o shield. That leaves me with a useless front usb3.0 unless I can somehow rig it througho the back. Has anyone done this? Is there a female USB 3 to USB 3 pin adapter cable available?

4. Once I close everything up, can anyone recommend how to stress test the system properly?

Thanks.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Does the case not come with a long dongle to snake the front connector to the back to hook up the USB3? If not you could look for a long adapter and run it through a grommet and plug it in to the rear. That would be rather annoying having a slot to nowhere.

Unless you're overclocking, stress testing isn't necessary. If you are, I prefer Intel Burn Test.