Sign in with
Your question

New build, some newb questions.

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2012 8:48:01 PM

Hello,

So I am about to finish up my first build and have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. Should I use a dedicated sound card from my old pc instead of the built in mobo sound? Will it make a difference? Sound card is creative labs SB0880 X-Fi Titanium Sound Card, Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

2. I have yet to plug in my chassis fans. I am using the CoolerMaster HAF 932 case which has 4 pre installed fans. My motherboard has 3 fan slots labled sys_fan, 1 slot labeled pwr_fan and 1 slot nb_fan. If I choose to connect all 4 to the MB, I would have to connect one to one of the latter slots. Which?

3. The HAF 932 comes with USB 3.0 built into the front panel, but this motherboard doesn't have a usb 3.0 slot to connect it to, just one on the rear that goes into the i/o shield. That leaves me with a useless front usb3.0 unless I can somehow rig it througho the back. Has anyone done this? Is there a female USB 3 to USB 3 pin adapter cable available?

4. Once I close everything up, can anyone recommend how to stress test the system properly?

Thanks.

More about : build newb questions

February 20, 2012 9:05:58 PM

jneesy said:
Hello,

So I am about to finish up my first build and have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. Should I use a dedicated sound card from my old pc instead of the built in mobo sound? Will it make a difference? Sound card is creative labs SB0880 X-Fi Titanium Sound Card, Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.
No. the OB will do just fine

2. I have yet to plug in my chassis fans. I am using the CoolerMaster HAF 932 case which has 4 pre installed fans. My motherboard has 3 fan slots labled sys_fan, 1 slot labeled pwr_fan and 1 slot nb_fan. If I choose to connect all 4 to the MB, I would have to connect one to one of the latter slots. Which?
You can use one of the molex power plugs for whichever you want

3. The HAF 932 comes with USB 3.0 built into the front panel, but this motherboard doesn't have a usb 3.0 slot to connect it to, just one on the rear that goes into the i/o shield. That leaves me with a useless front usb3.0 unless I can somehow rig it througho the back. Has anyone done this? Is there a female USB 3 to USB 3 pin adapter cable available?

4. Once I close everything up, can anyone recommend how to stress test the system properly?
Just let it run for a while and use it. If there are issues then look for tools

Thanks.

m
l
February 20, 2012 10:40:24 PM

Does the case not come with a long dongle to snake the front connector to the back to hook up the USB3? If not you could look for a long adapter and run it through a grommet and plug it in to the rear. That would be rather annoying having a slot to nowhere.

Unless you're overclocking, stress testing isn't necessary. If you are, I prefer Intel Burn Test.
m
l
February 20, 2012 10:49:29 PM

Rune prime95 for a day or so and monitor your temps. That will stress your CPU to the max.
m
l
!