Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on HD6670 models

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2011 2:55:00 AM

I am looking to add an AMD HD6670 to hybrid crossfire with the following system:

CPU/APU: AMD (LLano) A8-3850
Cooler: stock
Motherboard MSI A75MA-G55 (ver.1.0)
System RAM Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
Case: Antec Sonata (gen.1)
PSU: Antec EA-650
Storage: Western Digital WD5000AAKX-001CA
Optical: Plextor PX-B320SA
Forum: Office/HTPC $200 now or $400 later. Needed ASAP

My question is this, "Are there any performance differences with the different brands?" This office/multimedia system usually connects with two displays (extended desktop) for work and/or presentations/video playback. It also doubles as a casual gaming station off hours.

I will likey get a GDDR5 version over the GDDR3, but not sure about getting one with Display Port. Lower noise perfered, but not a major concern. I perfer to shop at Fry's, Micro Center, or Newegg (free shipping only).

More about : opinions hd6670 models

December 22, 2011 4:09:14 AM

Generally no performance difference between brands for video cards. However, things that can affect individual cards are:

1. Clock speed - Some GPUs are overclock at the factory. Naturally these OC'ed cards will perform better.

2. RAM - Some less expensive versions of video cards can have the slower DDR3 RAM compared to the faster DDR5 RAM. Overall performance difference? Maybe 5% to at most 10%, but pretty sure it's closer to 5%.
Related resources
December 22, 2011 9:25:27 PM

jaguarskx said:
Generally no performance difference between brands for video cards. However, things that can affect individual cards are:
1. Clock speed - Some GPUs are overclock at the factory. Naturally these OC'ed cards will perform better.
2. RAM - Some less expensive versions of video cards can have the slower DDR3 RAM compared to the faster DDR5 RAM. Overall performance difference? Maybe 5% to at most 10%, but pretty sure it's closer to 5%.

refillable said:
It differences only depends on the clock speed of the GPU (Either it's factory overclocked or not) and the cooler (on how cooler is).
And of course, gddr5 is faster than ddr3.
If you want 6670 this will be great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $82 after rebate

Thank you for the replies. Regarding the clock speed, I have not seen any HD6670 cards overclocked so I do not see that as a factor. Since I plan to hybrid crossfire it with the A8-3850, I am going for the GDDR5 versions.
My dilema comes mostly from reliability/reputation and fan noise. I like the MSI card ($100 at Fry's minus $30 mail-in rebate), but some say the twin 70mm fans run 100% at all times. I will definitely look for reviews on the Sapphire card refillable recommended.
December 22, 2011 9:29:48 PM

You can always control the fan settings thru MSI Afterburner and create a profile to adjust it exactly the way you like it.
December 23, 2011 1:12:37 AM

monsta said:
You can always control the fan settings thru MSI Afterburner and create a profile to adjust it exactly the way you like it.

I was thinking the same thing when I read user comments on Newegg's feedback page. I've seen similar comments on other sites, but I think those users/owners do not have it configured correctly. I am running Afterburner on my HIS HD5770Turbo at home.
!