Opinions on HD6670 models

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I am looking to add an AMD HD6670 to hybrid crossfire with the following system:

CPU/APU: AMD (LLano) A8-3850
Cooler: stock
Motherboard MSI A75MA-G55 (ver.1.0)
System RAM Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
Case: Antec Sonata (gen.1)
PSU: Antec EA-650
Storage: Western Digital WD5000AAKX-001CA
Optical: Plextor PX-B320SA
Forum: Office/HTPC $200 now or $400 later. Needed ASAP

My question is this, "Are there any performance differences with the different brands?" This office/multimedia system usually connects with two displays (extended desktop) for work and/or presentations/video playback. It also doubles as a casual gaming station off hours.

I will likey get a GDDR5 version over the GDDR3, but not sure about getting one with Display Port. Lower noise perfered, but not a major concern. I perfer to shop at Fry's, Micro Center, or Newegg (free shipping only).

Generally no performance difference between brands for video cards. However, things that can affect individual cards are:

1. Clock speed - Some GPUs are overclock at the factory. Naturally these OC'ed cards will perform better.

2. RAM - Some less expensive versions of video cards can have the slower DDR3 RAM compared to the faster DDR5 RAM. Overall performance difference? Maybe 5% to at most 10%, but pretty sure it's closer to 5%.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thank you for the replies. Regarding the clock speed, I have not seen any HD6670 cards overclocked so I do not see that as a factor. Since I plan to hybrid crossfire it with the A8-3850, I am going for the GDDR5 versions.
My dilema comes mostly from reliability/reputation and fan noise. I like the MSI card ($100 at Fry's minus $30 mail-in rebate), but some say the twin 70mm fans run 100% at all times. I will definitely look for reviews on the Sapphire card refillable recommended.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I was thinking the same thing when I read user comments on Newegg's feedback page. I've seen similar comments on other sites, but I think those users/owners do not have it configured correctly. I am running Afterburner on my HIS HD5770Turbo at home.