Childproof digital camera suggestions?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 30, 2005 10:09:49 PM

Can anyone recommend a cheap and robust Digital Camera, suitable for a 8
year old to have as their own digital camera? I was thinking of something
with 1 - 2 MP and possible water proof/resistent (thinking this type of
camera would be most rugged).

Even something that was an old model (& cheap because of this) but with
solid build quality would do.

All the review sites seem to focus only on technical features.

Would be greatful for any suggestions.

**SS**
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:09:50 PM

secret squiddle wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a cheap and robust Digital Camera, suitable for a 8
> year old to have as their own digital camera? I was thinking of something
> with 1 - 2 MP and possible water proof/resistent (thinking this type of
> camera would be most rugged).
>
> Even something that was an old model (& cheap because of this) but with
> solid build quality would do.
>
> All the review sites seem to focus only on technical features.

My old Olympus got dropped many times & I've heard others say they are
sturdy. It did have a retractable lens though which is very damage prone
in models with that feature.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:09:50 PM

Nothing is childproof. :-)

I'd be looking for used and refurbished. eBay. Overstock.com. Etc.
Whatever you get should have an LCD on the back so your kid can have the
instant gratification of seeing the photo they just took. Can't think of
any models off the top of my head, but eBay has some new cameras, that I've
never heard of, without a lot of whistles and bells for very cheap and a
large LCD on the back. Just assume it will get dropped or broken and will
need to be thrown out and price it that way.

I also think Polaroid makes an inexpensive digital camera I've seen hanging
on racks at places like Wal-Mart.

Good luck.

"secret squiddle" <no@chanceofspam.invalid> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a cheap and robust Digital Camera, suitable for a 8
> year old to have as their own digital camera? I was thinking of something
> with 1 - 2 MP and possible water proof/resistent (thinking this type of
> camera would be most rugged).
>
> Even something that was an old model (& cheap because of this) but with
> solid build quality would do.
>
> All the review sites seem to focus only on technical features.
>
> Would be greatful for any suggestions.
>
> **SS**

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:09:50 PM

On 5/30/05 1:09 PM, in article 429b48e6$0$24130$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk,
"secret squiddle" <no@chanceofspam.invalid> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a cheap and robust Digital Camera, suitable for a 8
> year old to have as their own digital camera? I was thinking of something
> with 1 - 2 MP and possible water proof/resistent (thinking this type of
> camera would be most rugged).

Steve's digicams has a section with reviews of water resistant cameras.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
Hth,
NB
!